Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh
Options

Do NOT use Crowne Plaza Pittsburgh Airport...

Hi ladies-My husband and I got married and had our reception at the Crowne Plaza Pittsburgh Airport on Sept 12.  I need to advise you to NOT use this vendor.  My husband is a dj.  Our best man is also a dj.  The two of them spent hours pre-recording our whole reception so that the best man's brother could just press play and supervise.  They set up the equiptment during the afternoon, as we were assured that would be ok and it would be safe.  During our ceremony, one section of a ballroom and a dividing wall away, my husband's laptop (our entire reception included) was STOLEN.  It was suggested to us that one of our guests may have committed the theft. (???)  We were told the ballroom would be locked until 6 pm when guests would be allowed back in.  So our best man left to get his laptop and missed an hour and a half of the day.  We have no pictures of our whole bp post ceremony  because of this.  Also, my husband's grandma missed him dancing with his mom, who is his hero. (They had a long drive home and left at around 9.)  The hotel has told us they feel terrible, but has taken no steps to accept responsibility in any way.  My husband lost a key part of his business and lost money on set gigs he was unable to do as we were jerked around being told action would be taken, while NOTHING has been done.We lost moments that are impossible to get back and tried to put on a happy face and focus on the fact that at the end of the day, we are married, which is the most important thing.  Bottom line: if you are going to spend the amount of money we spent, take your business someplace that will be safe and secure.Any lawyers out there who can help with advice?

Re: Do NOT use Crowne Plaza Pittsburgh Airport...

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Sorry this happened to you. It is very unfortunate.The Crowne Plaza has never been my favorite for a reception, but many reputable vendors do work there, including my cake baker. Be sure to give this information to KR for our "Vendor Beware" page. Also, I'd suggest posting this on all of the wedding review pages and on Trip Advisor under the hotel section.Are you absolutely sure that it was stolen and not just taken somewhere for safe keeping, such as the manager's office?Is there any chance that a guest from your wedding or a neighboring wedding could have taken it?Did you check the hotel security tapes?Also, did you call the police and file a police report?My husband lost a key part of his business and lost money on set gigs he was unable to do as we were jerked around being told action would be taken, while NOTHING has been done.Your husband should file a claim through his business insurance for lost or stolen equipment. That is why you pay your premiums each month/year. If the loss does not exceed his deductible, he may just want to pay out of pocket for a new laptop. Then he should continue to fight the Crowne Plaza for reimbursement.Unfortunately, you have to go back and read your contract. The Crowne Plaza may not be held liable for the theft. That doesn't mean that you can't push back, however. Write a certified letter. Show up at the hotel. Call frequently. Then, write a strongly worded letter and have it sent to the hotel's headquarters asking for compensation from their negligence. If all that fails, file in small claims court yourself. You don't need a lawyer for this as long as you aren't suing for more than, I think, 5k.Is all else fails, maybe Judge Judy it? She refunded the bride's money when the reception hall A/C broke, so it is worth a shot. Did you take out a wedding insurance policy by any chance? That should cover it as well. For the ladies who aren't married yet, I think this underscores the importance of a few things for the wedding day. Use a coordinator or DOC or a family friend that you trust to keep an eye on things. Hiring vendors rather than DIYing in some cases can be worth it as they may bring backup equipment and assume the liability if something is stolen. If you are considering using some of your own talents, wedding insurance may be a good bet. Katie, sorry this happened to you. I was just doing some photo work this weekend and left my lenses unattended for a few minutes, taking a calculated risk. My old boss taught me better than that, shame on me, but it happens sometimes. Your DH should consider hiring an assistant to secure his things when he works events in the future.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    As a soon to be lawyer ( t minus 1 semester of law school) my suggestion is to read your homeowners policy well and your husband's business insurance policy (especially if he has loss insurance, i.e loss of business b/c some key element of business was damaged).  Unless the hotel expressly said we will lock the room, and be responsible for your belongings, odds are a judge is not going to side with you (A/C is a little different since that is the hotel's responsibility when you rent a facility - comfortable air temp, and not something you can control - here the laptop was your possession to maintain/control).  You should have chained the laptop to the table with one of those security cords, or protected the laptop with lojack or some other anti theft device.  But hindsight is 20 20 and I would assume in your rental contract there is a disclaimer that the hotel is not responsible for theft, belongings, etc.  You can try small claims, but are likely to not be successful.  Sorry this is a sucky situation, but I would try your insurance first and foremost.  Renter's insurance especially covers belongings in a situation like this usually.  You can also try the bugging the hotel theory, but if there is anyone advising them with a legal background (and the contract has a disclaimer for theft and responsibility of belongings), you may get told to stop harassing them. 
    August Siggy Challenge- Wedding Must Have - sleigh cake stand Bio updated 04/05/10.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Bri knows her stuff! :)  Are you 3L at Duquesne? I keep meaning to ask you all the time if you know my friend who is a 3L there, initials G.K., young girl from Philly? :)Oh, for the record, I think that the hotel won't compensate you for the laptop directly, but maybe you could ask for a portion of your money back that you paid for your reception because you were dissatisfied with the things that occurred and the way the incident happened. Like maybe you could talk about the flow of the evening being interrupted and being cut short, so you'd like X dollars returned for that. I wasn't flaming your post; I do think that it is pretty shady for things to be stolen like that from a hotel. It makes me wonder about their security that things can be easily taken and would make me concerned to stay there over night as well. I think they should be helping you outside of the money aspect, like did they file a police report? Did they question their employees? Did they run the security tapes? That kind of thing.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the heads up! I will be sure not to ever use that venue.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm a 3L at Pitt - but know several Duq's - the initials G.K don't ring a bell tho :-(. 
    August Siggy Challenge- Wedding Must Have - sleigh cake stand Bio updated 04/05/10.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    It was definitely stolen, police came to hotel to question us/the staff.  My husband has filed a claim with our insurance, which may mean an increased premium.  They told us djs actually set up their equiptment the night before and setting up in advance is fine.  His assistant was playing our ceremony music.Thanks for the tips.  We're both just really unhappy with how it was handled.   We were assured the next day that we would be compensated somehow.  Not the case.  We've had meetings, presented lists of what we lost because this happened...the whole works.  Still nothing. I mean...what if it had been a dj we hired?  And paid for up front?  We'd have been s.o.l. Thank God for our best man, he's the only reason our reception went well after that.  He had to run around like a crazy person, but pulled it off.Our photographer, Justin Merriman, was FABULOUS throughout the drama.  We couldn't go do pics after the ceremony like we planned, since we had to talk to the police and figure out what to do to make our reception happen in an hour.  He offered us his laptop, Ipod, whatever he could do to help out.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    OH! Also, no security cameras there.... Only event at the hotel that night.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards