Wedding Invitations & Paper

Multiple Invitation Questions... pen, outer envelop, formal overload!!

First, I must say, I just love theknot.com! I love reading all the boards and realizing that so many people are wondering the same things as me!!

I have a few questions about my invitations! I am printing my own. I bought an invitation kit and all I need to do is print and assemble! I'm getting married in July but want to get a head start on getting them together. I put the first one together today and when I went to practice writing the address, the address didn't show up!! The envelop is a metallic silver and my black permanent marker did not show up at all!! I then tried a fine tip pen and it shows a bit better, but it is still difficult to read.1) Does anyone have any suggestions on what kind of pen to purchase?

Question 2- My invitations did not come with a specific outer envelope. However, (I'm going to try my best to explain them) the invite is folded. You open it and the actual invitation with the information in on the top inside and then there is a pocket  that the direction and response card slip into. Since the actual invitation is attached to the inside, could I use the jacket/outside as the outer envelope and specially list the people invited on that?

Question 3 (last 1) -  I saw a lot of posts about wording in the invitation including parents names and discussions about who paid for what. I chose to write in my invitation

The honor of your presence is requested at the marriage of..

Is this ok? Do parents name need to be on the invitation? Why do others need to know who paid for the wedding?- So many formalities!! So many questions!! Thanks all!!!

Re: Multiple Invitation Questions... pen, outer envelop, formal overload!!

• mlg78mlg78 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    A second envelope isn't necessary.  Just be sure to properly address the envelope so people know how many are invited.

Who is HOSTING the wedding?  Typically the host = who pays.  If someone else other than you and your fiance is paying you should run the invitation by them before you print any more...
  • I know it's conidered a faux pas, but we used clear address labels on our invitation envelopes. I was not in love with the idea of hand addressing over 90 envelopes. The label was a matte finish (instead of being a shiny finish) so it really blended into the invitation pretty well. And unless you were really looking at it you didn't really notice that it was an address label. We used a nice font (Garamond size 11 or 12) that lwould still be easy for the post office to read. I've gotten many many invitations in the past that were addressed using clear address labels, and I never thought that it was rude or tacky. We also used an invitation kit, and I actually think our invitation turned out to be really pretty. 
  • Thanks so much everyone!

I was totally planning on doing addresses labels until I read all things articles yelling at me not to! I don't understand why! I hate my handwriting and do NOT want to write out over 100 addresses! I may use the clear ones like you did, mdupon, and ignore all those articles I read! Thanks!!

Why can that only be used for church weddings? My ceremony is at a non-denominational chapel (or in a garden - depending on the weather) and the reception is at a different location - I included that in the invitation as well.  Who is hosting the wedding? Me and my fiance?  My parents are married. They are helping, financially, a little, but primarily the bills are being paid for by myself and my fiance.
  • Thank you.. I didn't know and thought it meant we'd be honored to have people attend our special day... I do agree, etiquette has evolved and I think some things can be broken without people thinking less of one another.. I know I'd never gasp in horror if I got an invite with address labels.. You look at the envelope for all of 2 seconds anyways right? The other day my fianc and I received a save the date addressed to "mr and mrs".. Didn't bother me in the slightest! Everyone knows we are getting married and might as well b married already! So why fuss!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards