request the pleasure of your company

at the celebration of their marriage
OR 
at the celebration of their wedding
OR 
at the celebration of their union

Re: Invite WORDING HELP!!!

• Options
    Not the first one because marriage is the period that comes after the wedding.
  • Options
    Someone suggested this....which I prefer to all of them
    request the honor of your presence
    as they are united in marriage
  • Options
    Together with their Parents

Jane Elizabeth Doe
    &
    John Paul Smith

Request the honor of your presence
    as they are united in marriage

We aren't getting married in a church, but I'm not sure our friends/family will really care if we include that wording.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_invite-wording-help-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:dbb1ad50-11a0-46c1-8561-4995cc4c5223Post:de5844dc-b868-4d2d-85f2-74561d115e62">Re: Invite WORDING HELP!!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]This rule is very established, and people will notice.  Don't capitalize request.  Only capitalize the first word, and then proper nouns like names, days of the week, month, etc.  Do not use the ampersand (&) unless it is part of the invitation's artistic design. Together with their Parents Jane Elizabeth Doe and John Paul Smith request the pleasure of your company as they are united in marriage
    Posted by CMGr[/QUOTE]

<div>Truely I would be surprised if anyone noticed, and I think the pleasure of your company sounds a bit too casual for my taste. Our crowd is not so bent on rules that people will even comment on such a small detail - e.g. honor of your presence. </div><div>
    </div><div>The invitation is all capital letters - so I don't really have to worry about that portion. Thank you though.</div>
  • Options
    IrishcurlsIrishcurls member
    First Comment
    edited March 2012
    Yup, it's not like an old fashioned, outdated rule or something. It's a social indicator as to the nature of the ceremony. Don't take it personally, just use "pleasure of your company."
  • Options
    I think wording should be how you want it to be. If someone wants to put "request your presence" or "pleasure of your company" shouldn't matter. You are inviting people to YOUR wedding. If people are really going to be nit picking your invitations then should they even be there? What else are they going to pick apart? I'm not trying to be rude but some people ask for opinions to help them decide not to be given a lesson on wedding invitation etiquette. People go to share your special day. Good luck on whatever wording YOU decide.
  • Options
    I only see one rude person on here. Report me if you would like but I know that I speak for many that have seen the many rude posts you have put. What happened to trying to be friendly and not trying to be rude. Just because you think that something is rude does not mean that everyone else does. Sorry everyone has an opinion!
  • Options
    jenjoe1115jenjoe1115 member
    First Comment
    edited March 2012
    I want a board that people can actually ask for opinions and not be snubbed by someone who thinks that her opinion is the only right one. And yes I believe that it is up to the bride and groom to decide what they like if they think that putting something one way is not how they want it to sound then so be it. Just because you think that you are the all in all of wedding etiquette is not how it works. I bet you that there are plenty of sites and books and people that will disagree with you.  And as far as dealing with people on this board I have never came across such an arrogant person such as your self. If you are such a perfect person then you are in the wrong place because everyone here is not perfect and does not need to be told up by a know it all. So on that note you have a good night I will continue to plan my wedding how my FI and I want it and not by peoples opinions of how it is supposed to be. Thanks for showing me how some people can be it makes me laugh!
  • Options
    I like the last one if that helps(: I understand everyone's point of view and have respect for both sides. Maybe ask your mom and FI their opinions too? Maybe you can meet in the middle on a decision. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_invite-wording-help-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:dbb1ad50-11a0-46c1-8561-4995cc4c5223Post:a3edcbd2-d241-4dc9-a2d0-9edb0e8dd482">Re: Invite WORDING HELP!!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>I only see one rude person on here. Report me if you would like but I know that I speak for many that have seen the many rude posts you have put. </strong>What happened to trying to be friendly and not trying to be rude. Just because you think that something is rude does not mean that everyone else does. Sorry everyone has an opinion!
    Posted by jenjoe1115[/QUOTE]

<div>I don't see any rude posts? You seem pretty riled up about this. </div><div>
    </div><div>OP can use any wording she wants but she asked for opinions and that's what she got. I wouldn't use "honor of your presence" if it's not a Church wedding (then again, maybe I noticed this after getting married in a Church). </div>
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_invite-wording-help-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:dbb1ad50-11a0-46c1-8561-4995cc4c5223Post:58aadf2c-923d-4ab5-aac3-5f6c9efa56d0">Re: Invite WORDING HELP!!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Invite WORDING HELP!!! : Truely I would be surprised if anyone noticed, and I think the pleasure of your company sounds a bit too casual for my taste. <strong>Our crowd is not so bent on rules that people will even comment on such a small detail - e.g. honor of your presence.</strong>  The invitation is all capital letters - so I don't really have to worry about that portion. Thank you though.
    Posted by 27Sunrise[/QUOTE]

I see where you're coming from with that line of reasoning, but many people do take social cues from invitation wording.  If I read "request the honor of your presence" I will dress a little differently (more modestly, for example, making sure I have a shrug or jacket that covers my shoulders) because that's what's expected in a church. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_invite-wording-help-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:dbb1ad50-11a0-46c1-8561-4995cc4c5223Post:12c1ac09-a7d6-41d7-95a7-7fa6074ff384">Re: Invite WORDING HELP!!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I want a board that people can actually ask for opinions and not be snubbed by someone who thinks that her opinion is the only right one. And yes I believe that it is up to the bride and groom to decide what they like if they think that putting something one way is not how they want it to sound then so be it. Just because you think that you are the all in all of wedding etiquette is not how it works. I bet you that there are plenty of sites and books and people that will disagree with you.  And as far as dealing with people on this board I have never came across such an arrogant person such as your self. If you are such a perfect person then you are in the wrong place because everyone here is not perfect and does not need to be told up by a know it all. So on that note you have a good night I will continue to plan my wedding how my FI and I want it and not by peoples opinions of how it is supposed to be. Thanks for showing me how some people can be it makes me laugh!
    Posted by jenjoe1115[/QUOTE]

Let's get something straight here.  YOU are the only one that used name calling in her posts.

CMGr is totally correct.  What she said isn't a matter of opinion.

You can choose to ignore what she stated but you can't claim to be doing the right thing if you opt to do differently.  

There ARE right and wrong ways to word an invitation and using the 'honour of your presence' for a ceremony not in a house of worship is just not correct.  You don't have to like it but disliking it and doing your own thing will hardly make it accurate.

These boards ARE supportive.  However those giving the best advice on here will never advise you to do the wrong thing because that's how you want it.  The only thing advice like that accomplishes is enabling poor behavior.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards