Wedding Invitations & Paper
Options

Do save the dates usually match the invitation colors?

We're trying to pick out save the date cards and I had originally planned on doing something that would go well with our wedding colors and invitations, but my favorite save the dates are the brightly colored ones (wedding and invitation colors will be soft, neutral tones)... What do you all think? To me, save the dates are way more casual and can really be any style and color, but I wanted to make sure there wasn't some unspoken rule that they need go along with the invitation theme. 

Re: Do save the dates usually match the invitation colors?

• Options
    I don't think that I have ever seen matching STDs and invitations.  Perhaps color coordinated but not matching
  • Options
    JoanE2012JoanE2012 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited September 2012
    No, they don't have to match.  We had no idea what our wedding invitations or colors would be when we sent out the STDs.
  • Options
    mrsmtothekmrsmtothek member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited September 2012
    I was in your position a couple of months ago because my cousin who got married before me had these wonderful matching STDs to go along with their invites. I felt like mine had to be the same, but I fell in love with a magnet that I knew wouldn't be cohesive with the tone of our invitation suite at all. In the end, no one REALLY cares but you--go with what you love! The magnet for us was perfect and I still love it. 
  • Options
    We haven't chosen invites yet, but our Save the Dates are in our wedding colors. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    When we did save the dates, we did a photo card and had no idea what the invites would be.  They were totally different, with the exception that coincidentally the fonts were similar- but overall different.  Do whatever works for you :)
  • Options
    Traditionally wedding invitations were black print on ecru paper.  Obviously a lot of people are moving away from that, but neutral is traditional.  If yours are neutral I would have no problems sending save the dates that don't match.  Our invitations are charcoal on ivory paper, and our save the dates are white, charcoal, and yellow (which is our primary color).  They are a lot more casual.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards