Wedding Invitations & Paper
Options

Determining Formality (Advice please)

My mom and I are having an argument over what determines the formality of a wedding, and hence the formality level that the invitations need to have. I'm arguing that the majority of the formality level is determined by the reception. She's saying that it's about the ceremony. I'll admit I may be wrong, but I need help to understand this. 

A little about the wedding:

It's in the afternoon (2pm). It's going to be a Catholic wedding, but not a full Mass. It's in an almost-200 year old Cathedral complete with all the marble/gilding/huge pipe organ/giant ceilings. I'm wearing this dress: http://www.casablancabridal.com/collections/view/30/439
But it's going to have lace over the top of it and have an off-the-shoulder neckline. 

The reception will immediately follow the ceremony and last until about 7pm. It's going to be a buffet style cocktail reception. Plenty of food, but it will all be heavy hors d'oeuvres , crudite, and dips. There will be music (a trio) and possibly dancing, but we're not hiring a dance floor. It will be indoor/outdoor and an antebellum home (not mansion, it looks like a regular house). We're going to try to put tables out on the lawn under the trees (if it rains there is a covered porch and room inside). My aunts are catering (they strongly offered and they've done this before). We're also doing all of the reception decor ourselves. 

My mom thinks that because I'm wearing a long lace gown and getting married in the Cathedral, that I need really formal invitations and the bridesmaids must wear long dresses. 

I think that because the reception is more casual that we can have a more fun and informal invitation (nothing too trendy). I also think that cocktail/tea length dresses will be fine for the BMs. 

So, who's right? Or, are both of us a little right? I'd love some advice. 

Re: Determining Formality (Advice please)

• Options
    In my opinion, the time of day, the fact that it's a cocktail reception & not at a traditional reception hall makes it less formal. You can obviously do whatever you want, but I'd be surprised to see super formal invites & then go to a reception ENDING at 7pm.
  • Options
    Yeah, I really don't want people who haven't been in on all the wedding planning (like FI's family from out of state) getting their invitations and thinking it must be a schmancy formal event and packing for one and then coming to our reception and wondering what on earth we were thinking. We have a good many people coming in from out of state, and it's a large wedding. Also, the whole "people will know what to wear based on the invitation" thing makes me think that it should be a little more informal. 
  • Options
    To me, it's just impossible to do anything most-formal at 2pm. 2pm is too early for tuxedos, and it's not like your guests are going to rent morning coats. So the issue is whether the men should come in suits and the women in their most formal day dresses, or something less formal?

If less formal, I don't really know how to convey that. "honor" instead of "honour"? If that formal, well, that's easy. You just follow the old, formal forms.

As someone big on the bride's-home-church-absent-unusual-circumstances tradition, I don't think the formality of the church building or the service dictates the formality of the wedding. Our church is similar to OP's, but it's where I go every Sunday. Our service is very "formal" or really formalized, but my church offers no choices in the liturgy. But it's still possible to have a quiet, simple wedding with just best-church-clothes in my church/religion.

The one exception is I might wear bare shoulders to an outdoor wedding. I always cover my shoulders in religious spaces. But that's my hullabaloo.
  • Options
    aragx6aragx6 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    Your reception sounds similar to ours exceot for ours in the evening and we still didn't do super formal invitations and my BMs are in cocktail-length dresses. I think your mom is wrong on this one.
    Lizzie
  • Options
    I personally would feel uncomfortable showing up to a catholic church service dressed casually, even if the invitation conveys a level of informality. Maybe you can have the best of both worlds with a formal looking actual invitation to the ceremony and the enclosure with the reception info being more on the fun side? My first inclination is to agree with your mom about it being a formal wedding because of the church. As far as cocktail length dresses, I never feel like that's an indication of formality... it's when you get to above the knee length I feel it's more casual. I'm getting married in a catholic church at 11am and in spite of the time of day, I'm keeping it formal. But that's our personal choice. It's YOUR day, so I think that if you want a more casual wedding you should be entitled to do so :)
    image 312 Invited
    image 182 Are ready to party!
    image 127 Will be missing out!
    image 3 Are MIA!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'd say semiformal as well.  You can go with simple and elegant invitations.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards