Wedding Invitations & Paper

Inner and Outer envelope? HELP!!

I'm having a minor freak-out here.  I'm sure this is posted a million times on here, but oh well.  I'm getting ready to send my invitation to the printer so we can begin assembling the invites and I'm just realizing that I should have an inner and outer envelope? What purpose does having 2 envelopes even serve?

Is this completely necessary?  If I don't have it, how do I address people with children and couples not married, but living together? Oh Lord, please help me!

Thank you!
Makenzi

Re: Inner and Outer envelope? HELP!!

• Thank you!
  • I believe it should be:

Outer
    Mr. and Mrs. John Doe (Married couple)
    Inner
    Mr. and Mrs. Doe

Outer
    Ms. Jane Smith (Single woman)
    Inner
    Ms. Smith and Guest

Outer
    Mr. and Mrs. John Doe (Couple with children)
    Inner
    Mr. and Mrs. Doe
    John, Susan, and Amy (children oldest to youngest)

Outer
    Ms. Jane Doe (Couple living together)
    Mr. John Smith
    Inner
    Ms. Doe
    Mr. Smith
  • But I don't have an inner envelope...only the outer.

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_inner-and-outer-envelope-help?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:f20e2519-0a89-4c66-a82e-08fafe2687a7Post:2c8a9b3d-c9a2-411c-ab09-41adbada7e50">Re: Inner and Outer envelope? HELP!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I believe it should be: Outer Mr. and Mrs. John Doe (Married couple) Inner Mr. and Mrs. Doe Outer Ms. Jane Smith (Single woman) Inner Ms. Smith and Guest Outer Mr. and Mrs. John Doe (Couple with children) Inner Mr. and Mrs. Doe John, Susan, and Amy (children oldest to youngest) Outer Ms. Jane Doe (Couple living together) Mr. John Smith Inner Ms. Doe Mr. Smith
    Posted by coraleetbwed[/QUOTE]
  • aragx6aragx6 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited July 2012
    It's becoming more typical to have only one envelope instead of the traditional two, so you're fine to only use one.

We did ours just a touch more informally than CMGr suggested -- no titles for kids:

Mr. and Mrs. John Doe
    Sophia, John and Joseph

For unmarried friends:

Mr. John Doe
    Ms. Jane Adams
    Lizzie
  • coraleetbwedcoraleetbwed member
    First Comment
    edited July 2012
    I totally agree with aragx6.  The children's names should be in age order - oldest to youngest.  Although handwritten addressing is preferred, a beautiful font is now acceptable.  No labels on social stationery, please.

Here's a handy guide to addressing envelopes:
    http://www.somewhereintimecalligraphy.com/envelope-addressing-etiquette.html
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_inner-and-outer-envelope-help?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:f20e2519-0a89-4c66-a82e-08fafe2687a7Post:2c8a9b3d-c9a2-411c-ab09-41adbada7e50">Re: Inner and Outer envelope? HELP!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I believe it should be: Outer Mr. and Mrs. John Doe (Married couple) Inner Mr. and Mrs. Doe Outer Ms. Jane Smith (Single woman) Inner Ms. Smith and Guest Outer Mr. and Mrs. John Doe (Couple with children) Inner Mr. and Mrs. Doe John, Susan, and Amy (children oldest to youngest) Outer Ms. Jane Doe (Couple living together) Mr. John Smith Inner Ms. Doe Mr. Smith
    Posted by coraleetbwed[/QUOTE]

This is correct ^
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_inner-and-outer-envelope-help?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:f20e2519-0a89-4c66-a82e-08fafe2687a7Post:19d58619-ff64-4ecf-8abc-654f83249307">Re: Inner and Outer envelope? HELP!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]The inner envelope is a tradition.  It is not necessary to have one.  You address you invitations to the persons you wish to invite to your wedding, just like you would address any personal mail - by hand. Mr. and Mrs. John Doe Ms. Jane Smith Mr. John Doe Mr. and Mrs. John Doe Miss Susan Doe Mr.  James Doe
    Posted by CMGr[/QUOTE]

Inner envelopes are not just a tradition.

Their purpose is to protect the inner envelope from tearing in the mail, which the often do.
  • does any know if it is bad ettiquette to have the sticky stuff on the inner envelope?  My mom says that it should have the non sticky stuff, I assume we would just fold and not lick the inner envelope or put a seal on it, but she wants an envelope without the sticky. lol!  I can't find anywhere that it says its bad to have the sticky kind on the inside. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards