Invites and Paper

Complimentary or Complementary Valet Parking

I posted this on the etiquette board, but have not received an answer. We are offering free valet parking at the reception. I would have thought the spelling would be complimentary valet parking, but someone mentioned it should be complementary.

Would the spelling be complimentary or complementary and why?

Re: Complimentary or Complementary Valet Parking

• You should use complimentary.

com·pli·men·ta·ry 
    adjective
    1. of the nature of, conveying, or expressing a compliment, often one that is politely flattering: a complimentary remark.
    2. given free as a gift or courtesy: a complimentary ticket

com·ple·men·ta·ry 
    adjective
    1. forming a complement;  completing.
    2. complementing  each other.
  • Complimentary. 

Complementary (with the E rather than I) refers to things completing or complementing each other. Complimentary means free of charge.

• aragx6aragx6
    2500 Comments 5 Love Its Combo Breaker
    Complimentary means free of charge. Complementary means it goes well together. You're right.
    Lizzie
  • Thanks ladies! I thought I was correct, but of course had to make sure!
  • Lisa50Lisa50
    2500 Comments 5 Love Its Combo Breaker
    In Response to Complimentary or Complementary Valet Parking:
    I posted this on the etiquette board, but have not received an answer. We are offering free valet parking at the reception. I would have thought the spelling would be complimentary valet parking, but someone mentioned it should be complementary. Would the spelling be complimentary or complementary and why?
    Posted by MargaretHS
    From dictionary.com (see #2):

com·pli·men·ta·ry

  <a onmousedown="spk(this,{lk:'nx1fkx',en:'wotdau',io:'0',b:'wotd',tp:'lrl',m:'wotdau'})" href="#"></a><a target="_blank" href="http://dictionary.reference.com/audio.html/lunaWAV/C07/C0704800"&gt;&lt;img border="0" src=" /></a> /ˌkɒmpləˈmɛntəri, -tri/ Show Spelled [kom-pluh-men-tuh-ree, -tree] Show IPA adjective, noun, plural com·pli·men·ta·ries.
    adjective
    1. of the nature of, conveying, or expressing a compliment, often one that is politely flattering: a complimentary remark.
    2. given free as a gift or courtesy: a complimentary ticket.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards