June 2014 Weddings

Is it to soon?

I know I'm not getting married for two years (june 14, 2014) but I'm like super eager to start planning. Is it to soon? I dont want to go shopping and get strange looks from people thinking why are you planning now you have two years? Should I just say screw it and start planning now or wait like a year?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Is it to soon?

• I don't think it's too soon at all! Time is on your side and you ladies are all in a great place. Two years is ideal, IMO. 
    Depending on your location the best venues and vendors might get booked quite early, so I would definitely grab a planner book and start scouting around. Collecting information from potential vendors will give you a sense of the cost of things, which is crucial to figuring out your budget; and even if you have merely a rough idea of the total cost right now, you can set up a preliminary savings plan for the next 24 months. You might not be the one to fund your wedding but even then, having extra money that you saved up will ALWAYS come in handy. Not to mention, whoever is paying will benefit from knowing so far in advance what costs what.
    I've already collected information from potential photographers and am now in the process of contacting event planners and venues. With this little information I can already estimate the cost of these items, give or take, and have expanded my inspiration/vision for this event.

One thing I can suggest, don't mind what people think or say if you start actively planning now and, better yet, don't share too many details with anyone other than your FI. You'll only end up having a whole bunch of people around you that know just too much about your wedding before anything is even decided on. The longer you can keep your day a fascinating mysterious surprise for everyone, the better. 
  • The only thing I would refrain from is the dress.  So much can change in 2 years.  I gained 40 lbs in two years.  Now I am trying to lose it.  Plus you may find a dress you like now but in a year when you need to buy it you could find something even better.  Other than that I say go for it.
    Daisypath Graduation tickers Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I would say go for planning but hold off on purchasing unless you have your ideas and theme set completely in stone and won't change anything. I would also hold off on the dress until closer time because lots can change in 2 years. Sizes & Styles can be really different.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Well colors and theme i have down pat... just everything else idk... there is a venue I am in love with but when we went and looked at it in Feb they were not booking for 2014 at that time... 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • They may be booking now but I would wait until December or after to book unless the venue books up fast.  I am essentially getting all of the things I want decided on so that when it's time to book I already know and don't have to stress about it. 
  • I would start planning now!  LOL

You can start getting price quotes on different things, make up your guest list, figure out your budget, start a wedding planning binder and collect ideas and pictures. 

I would wait to book a venue unless it's so popular that you would have to book it two years out. I've read several stories of brides booking a venue and leaving a deposit and then the venue goes under and they lose their deposit.  :(

What are your colors? Theme?

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I agree with what everyone else said. It's not too early to start planning! :) Having two years to plan really lets you figure out exactly what you want and not have to settle for something that you don't absolutely love. :) 

Getting quotes on venues, photographers, etc. really puts your budget into perspective. I've been searching for venues and some of the places I originally had in mind are way out of my price range. After emailing/calling different places I've established roughly what is going to be reasonable. I plan to book my venue later this summer or early this fall only because venues in my area book up quickly. My top choice as of right now is actually is booked solid for Saturday's in May 2013 through August 2013 so if I decide to go with it I have to commit sooner rather than later.

Other than that I've been compiling a binder full of ideas so when the time comes to actually buy decorations and make commitments I won't be nearly as stressed out. :)
  • I don't think it's too soon. My fiance and I got engaged a month ago, and here is what we are planning to do...

This summer: Engagement pictures and venue
    This whole next year (aug-may) it will be my first year in grad school -- so pretty much just brainstorming, researching, etc.
    Next summer: Book caterer, photog/video, get dress.
    Next year: finish up all the little details such as decor.

We have already started a basic guest list of our must haves (family, pretty much) and then we can fine tune it as we go along.

One thing to note is that if you book a service or venue now, you will likely get better rates. One of the venues we are looking at has prices set for this summer and next summer /9a $200 dollar jump in price) and will go up for the summer of 2014 too. I have looked at some photographers and they said that if you put your deposit down now, you secure the current prices.

Good luck! I love having all this time to plan because it makes it stress-free and fun.
  • my theme is "and they lived happily ever after" type princess.... I don't want it to be to littoral if that make sense... Colors are Hot pink and Black.... I think I might go this weekend with my FI, MIL,SIL, and mom to look at halls... 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Ohh I like your theme and colors!  :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards