June 2014 Weddings

When are you planning on buying your dress?

We are planning our wedding for june 28th 2014,and I am wedding obsessed. Especially wedding dresses.
I want to start trying on dresses in july but my Mom thinks that is too soon to start shopping and I have to say I would feel a little silly buying my dress a year before my wedding.But im soooo excited I cannot imgaine waiting untill fall.
So, is anyone else planning on buying there dress this summer? or is there some reason I should wait longer?

Re: When are you planning on buying your dress?

• I actually already bought my dress! I wasn't planning on buying this early since I'm a June 21, 2014 bride. But one of the salons around me was having a huge blowout sale of overstock and forfeited (people ordered and never paid for) dresses. It was too good to pass up, so I went and ended up finding "the one". I saved over $1000 on the dress, so it was totally worth it!

But I agree with the other posts that I was going to start looking this May/June, I just happened to luck out a few months early. You may want to keep your eye out for sales similar to this in your area if you're having a hard time finding a lace gown in your price range. That was my issue as well. Good luck!
  • July is a little late for me lol...I am starting this April. I am super picky and I plan on trying on about 100 or more gowns to compare. I want to buy by june so I can put it behind me, and since some dresses (couture) take longer to come in, its important to take that into consideration. Plus, there is so much other stuff to plan and to be honest, I am not starting the actual planning process till June. All I have is venue and Date. So dress is next!
  • I'm planning on buying this summer. I was thinking late July or August, but my mom and I are both really antsy and excited. My mom said she hopes I don't find a dress right away because she wants to go shopping multiple weekends! So we'll probably cave and start in June.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm going to go dress shopping over the summer. I was thinking maybe July or August??

• I already bought mine as well, but I knew the designer of the dress I saw in magazines and LOVE discontinues gowns frequently.  If not for that, I probably would have tried to wait until summer...no guarantee though, that's the fun part!
  • edited February 2013
    We've been engaged 10 months and I made myself wait awhile. That being said I just bought it last weekend! (Super excited) I wouldn't wait too much longer, some designers can take 6-9 months to get it in and that's before alterations start. The last thing you want is to miss out on your dream dress due to time restraints. I'd say a year is enough though.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm going to start looking and trying on this spring, and definately buy it this summer if not sooner!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Our wedding date is June 21, 2014 and I'm planning on starting to try on dresses next month. Already made an appt. for the 1st weekend in March. Definitely start earlier rather than later so you have time to try on as many as you'd like and to make any alterations that are necessary.

HAPPY PLANNING <3
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I have a deposit down on my dress as I always dreamed of having a custom made dress. We have the basic design down, and I am wanting a few MUST have's. I am excited and looking forward to it. We are suppose to be meeting up early April to go to a fabric store and look at fabric's I like.
    Brigitte & Travis Together since 10/27/09 Mama of 2 daughters 11 & 7 Future stepson age 5 Looking to get married 09.10.11
  • edited May 2013
    I bought my dress the very first day of looking at the very first shop. My best friend's and my wedding are about 4 weeks apart and she asked me to accompany her to a bridal boutique so we could both look at dresses. 

My budget only afforded me to look in the clearance section at this particular shop but one dress screamed out to me. I tried in on 3rd or 4th and it still was so beautiful. Tried on a few more dresses then went back to that one. I teared up invisioning myself with my FI and began crying about how I actually felt like a bride. Turns out there was an additonal 40% off clearance and it made the dress fall exactly into the budget I had. I them hold the dress for me that night while I checked out a second store and wasn't impressed with anything there. Went back to the boutique, tried on the dress one last time and bought it that morning. 
  • Wow I didn't realize it was normal to buy this early. We got engaged in October but have only just set a (tentative) date and started wedding planning in earnest. I'm going to Vietnam at the end of August and thinking of trying to get something custom made there, if that doesn't work out I'll buy one back here in America shortly after.
  • I bought mine in April 2013 and it came in 2 weeks ago. It is currently residing in my sister in laws closet !
  • Mine was a sample sale (yay!) and I purchased it a few weeks ago and it's sitting in my MOH's closet. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I am just started to try things on.  We are June 27, 2014.  I have my first appointment Aug. 18. :)
  • CheleLynCheleLyn member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited August 2013
    I bought mine this past June...chiffon with chapel length train.

We haven't gotten bridesmaid dresses yet, we're trying to coordinate a day when we are all either not working or can get a day off...there are five bridesmaids :) 

Edited for spelling
    ~*~June 21, 2014~*~

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards