May 2013 Weddings
Options

phobia ruining my big day

so, here it goes. I have a phobia of bees. not a fear, a phobia. my ceremony is going to be outside for a half hour then move to the reception which is inside. we actually contemplated not having the wedding in may and having it earlier in the year as well as tossed up the idea of fake flowers. I didn't want to sacrifice the month that I wanted, and I didn't want to give up my delicate live flowers. however as soon as I see a bee I start to get jittery, and if it looks like it's coming in my direction I freak out and run as far as I can. it can be quite hilarious in public places but I'm not looking to have that happen on my wedding day. on the plus side my wedding is on a peninsula on the lake, which has no flowers on it and there are no flowers nearby.. So, I'm hoping that means they won't be around. is there anything that you can do to stop bees from coming around? this is probably a long shot, seeing as though if there was something I'm sure my house would be surrounded with it.. but just thought that I would ask. I'm also posting this on the outdoor wedding board. thank you so much in advance!
May 2013 August Siggy: Hair Inspiration

Re: phobia ruining my big day

• Options
    I don't know if it would work for bees, but I've been told that you can put an opened can of cat food out away from your area and it will attract all the yellowjackets and keep them away from your guests. Weird, I know. I haven't tried it, so I don't know how well it works.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

Is your ceremony at your house? I'm confused. If you are getting married at a venue, perhaps you can ask if they have had this type of issue in the past. Maybe that will help calm your fears about the possibility?

May 2013 Brides Siggy Challenge January- Let Them Eat Cake!
    My cake is a 2-tier ivory cake with silver dotted scallops, ribbon and pearl brooch.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    It is at a venue. I guess I could ask but I don't feel like its a common problem... I freak out over one bee let alone a swarm.... I don't expect there to be a swarm, I'm just concerned about that one bee coming near me. I'll have to look into the cat food thing, thanks!
  • Options
    I don't know how to keep them away, but I have the same issue. I actually brought it up with my florist, asking her if having the ceremony outdoors if she thought my bouquet/bridesmaids boquets would attract bees. She said she didn't think so and that she'd never had problems. But I am legitimately terrified of stinging insects despite never having been stung. I too will run from them, no matter the situation.
    Maybe having non floral or fake flower decorations around the ceremony area and the only real flowers being the wedding party flowers would help. And you won't be holding your bouquet while the ceremony is going on also.
    Also I know that the honeybee population is declining. And I've only ever seen a bumblebee 3 or 4 times in my life.
    But I feel your pain. My ceremony will be very short, probably 15ish minutes. It's definitely on my mind but I'm hoping that it won't be an issue!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    ansannaansanna member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited August 2012
    There will be no floral decorations because I want to use "nature" as our decor, so that helps.. I was only ever stung once when I was about 9.. Ever since then have been terrified.. I should specify it's not just honey and bumble bees. I'm also terrified of wasps, yellow jackets or anything else similar.. I was also told to not wear a lot of perfume or hairspray.. I can get away with the perfume but idk about the hairspray.
  • Options
    I'm sure there's some natural method you can use to repel them that won't stink like you would for mosquitos. Try googeling it?
    May 2013 October Siggy - The Honeymoon Walt Disney & Daytona Beach imageFollow Me on Pinterest
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards