May 2013 Weddings

Just Curious

I apologize if this post has been done before, but I was wondering...does your wedding date have any personal significance to you? The month, the date, the day of the week? I've been curious about this.
I was originally planning a late July wedding because our dating anniversary is in late July. This turned into May in order to have a bearable outdoor ceremony (Texas heat woo...). We were going to do May 5th but my aunt was going to be on a cruise, and then the 12th was Mother's Day, so the 19th it was. We wanted to go with a Sunday for cost factor since we didn't have any significant date in May to choose from.
I am now thrilled with the month and date and really glad we are getting married over 2 months earlier than I'd thought we would be :)
I'm interested to hear anyone else's story!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Just Curious

• I just like numbers to "make sense."  My wedding date is 5/25 (factors of 5) my original was May 4 (5/4... a sequence)... I'm sure it doesn't make sense to most people, but it makes me happy! LOL
    Wedding Countdown Ticker TnE0217
  • I always knew I wanted to get married in May. I just loooove spring and could never get married in the summer (I get hot very easily and would probably melt in a dress, makeup etc). I guess there is always fall too, but I just love spring flowers and greenery more than foliage :)
    We picked May 3 based on the availability for our venue.
    May 2013 January Siggy Challenge:Cake inspiration image
  • My wedding is May 11...on May 11, 2011 my now fiancé who was my ex-boyfriend at the time (not a bad break-up more so a time issue) was in a serious car accident.  He was in a coma and when I went to the hospital I knew at that moment that I did not want to live my life without him.  I spent hours at the hospital just praying (and crying) and talking to him.  I told him that he had to get up so we could get married and have children.  Shortly after that he squeezed my hand and opened his eyes.  Ever since that day we have been inseparable.  He proposed on May 12, 2012 during a family dinner we had with both his family and mine to celebrate his 1yr recovery from the accident that doctors said he should have died from.  Choosing the day of his accident is our way of realizing that everything happens for a reasoning and turning a tragic event into something amazing.    
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_may-2013-weddings_just-curious?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:ea657a87-d1dc-4588-999f-31c9deeef720Discussion:40b65ec2-9073-4db3-a1f6-3ecff99bea0bPost:0d7772d4-52fb-45a8-a8eb-ac5ae3477721">Re: Just Curious</a>:
    [QUOTE]My wedding is May 11...on May 11, 2011 my now fiancé who was my ex-boyfriend at the time (not a bad break-up more so a time issue) was in a serious car accident.  He was in a coma and when I went to the hospital I knew at that moment that I did not want to live my life without him.  I spent hours at the hospital just praying (and crying) and talking to him.  I told him that he had to get up so we could get married and have children.  Shortly after that he squeezed my hand and opened his eyes.  Ever since that day we have been inseparable.  He proposed on May 12, 2012 during a family dinner we had with both his family and mine to celebrate his 1yr recovery from the accident that doctors said he should have died from.  Choosing the day of his accident is our way of realizing that everything happens for a reasoning and turning a tragic event into something amazing.    
    Posted by alenahamlin[/QUOTE]

<div>What an amazing story, I got choked up reading it! </div>

• We're getting married on May 4th. It has no significance to us. Originally, we planned on June 1st but if I get hot, I break out in hives all over my chest and neck so we thought the beginning of May would be a bit cooler (and therefore safer lol) than the beginning of June. 

• My FI is a professor at a college and he doesn't teach classes during the summer. He does work on research but that is flexible. Graduation at his college is may 18 so we chose may 24. This gives us flexibility for the honeymoon.
  • Ours just happened to fall on the day it did.  We decided May and that was the one weekend that worked for us.  Ironically it's 17 months to the day after we got engaged, but it wasn't on purpose.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker PersonalMilestone
  • It will be our three year dating anniversay- May 18!
  • Well, we chose the season based on baseball... haha. FI is a die-hard Red Sox fan and while I originally wanted a fall wedding (late Sept / early Oct), I *know* FI would be super distracted if the Red Sox managed to make playoffs... so fall was out... So spring it was.. and I dunno why May specifically... April is too cool... June is too popular...

As for the exact date... I just liked the way the numbers worked... 5/18/13... 18 minus 5 is 13... as someone else mentioned - it may not make sense to anyone else, but I thought it was neat... (plus, w/ Mother's Day the wkend before and Memorial Day the wkend after, it really only left the 1st and 3rd wkends in our minds)

Wedding Countdown Ticker

May 2013 - January - Cake Inspiration!
  • Wasn't planned this way, but ended up working out nicely.  Wedding date is 5/26.  Our dating anniversary was 12/26, so the 26th is an easy day to remember.  We also ended up closing on our house on 5/26/11, so another anniversary there.  And, it's 6 days after FI's birthday, but he's not very happy about that part of it.
  • alenahamlin- No story is topping yours! How sweet!

My FI proposed the day before Memorial day 2012. When we decided that a year would work to plan the wedding we just chose the same day one year out and originally planned for Sunday, May 26 2013. The cost was going to be much less at our preferred venue but the LDS folks on FI's side wouldn't have it so it was moved to May 25th.

It's a little ironic too because now it sounds like only 2 LDS parties will even make it. Either way, I like May 25th just as much!

• No significance at all for us.  We knew we wanted spring, and our original date was 6/8 but the venue we booked got shut down, and 5/18 was really the only Saturday left that was feasible.
    May 2013 Brides February Siggy: Invites imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks ladies, it's nice to hear all the stories. May will be here before we know it. My emotions will be all over the place. My goal is to get down the aisle without reaching my ugly crying face but I know when I look at my fiance I am going to lose it...lol.
  • FI has a lot of siblings and most are in college still and all would have to travel to get to the wedding. May 11 was the perfect date that fit in between classes ending and his BIL's graduation so that was mainly why we picked it. Also we really liked the fact that 5/11/13 are all prime numbers. So we've been working prime numbers into the wedding as much as possible. We like the concept that "we'll never be divided." haha
  • We originally wanted a fall wedding but DF proposed in March 2012 and I didn't want to be that crazy bride planning a wedding in 6 months! So we looked to May. It was really the only month either of our families hadn't been married in. We knew we wanted a Sunday (way cheaper and our photographer is a VERY popular guy, he was already booked for most Saturdays in April, May and June in May 2012), so we chose May 26th, right before Memorial Day. My birthday is Feb 16th, DF's is July 6th, so we liked the idea of the 26th. When we went to book our ceremony space, that was the ONLY day they had already booked for 2013! So we ended up picking the Sunday before, May 19th. Which is totally cool for me. Our dating anniversary is April 9th, so May 19th works for sure. I also Really love the number 19. Haha.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We originally wanted the wedding to be on our dating anniversary day (21st) in late fall, but the only Saturdays in 2013 that the 21st fell on were September (would have been perfect!) and December (too cold and too close to the other holidays). Also since we'd gotten engaged in Nov. of 2011 it would have been nearly two years before we got married and I didn't want to wait that long! 

So we changed the date to one in March to save money, but we wanted to get married outside. We happened to find a venue that cost the same regardless of the month so we moved it up to May (not too hot, nor too cold). We chose the 18th because it was the closest to the 21st. I did hate having to move it back, but there is just no putting stock in Georgia weather.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Silly me chose MDW b/c I get that Friday AND Monday off of work and since a lot of people are coming from out of town I thought it would be nice for them to have that extra day off.  I like spring too though :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker 177 Invited image
    3 Yes image
    0 No image
    174 ? image
  • I posted this topic and then forgot all about it! Oops! But it was nice to come and read all these, so cute! Thanks for sharing :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards