Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums
Options

Are hair trims REALLY worth it??

I need some advice! The longest layer of my hair is at the top of my bra. I want it to be as long as possible for my September 2012 wedding. My hair can get pretty long but I recently chopped it all off (before getting engaged) so I'm trying to grow it back quickly! Everyone says trims are a good way to help hair growth.....but are they really? I don't want to waste money and my growth progress on a trim of its not going to help. I've been taking vitamins, giving myself regular scalp massages and exercising. I could use more protein in my diet though. I wonder if I should just get one trim before the wedding...I also really need a better shampoo and conditioner if anyone had any good recommendations. I have naturally wavy thick dry hair. Thanks!! :)

Re: Are hair trims REALLY worth it??

• Options
    Trims will get rid of split and damaged ends.  They won't actually make the hair grow faster but it will keep the hair healthier so it looks better.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • Options
    I feel your frustration and don't know what to suggest.  I am having the same problem.  I have been trying to grow my hair since 2010 for my May 2012 wedding and it hasn't grown much at all.  Maybe a few inches.  It is just below my shoulders now when down and straight.  I get mad at myself every time I get my hair trimmed because it feels so short and like I just wasted 3 months of growing it for nothing. I usually get a trim once every 3-4 months so I wonder I should go more often and get less cut each time.  But how often is enough?
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Trims are worth it! Like PP said, it doesn't help it grow, but it helps you from developing worse split/dry ends. Split/dry ends shouldn't be part of the wedding day vision. It also helps to remove them fast (every 6-8 weeks) so after the wedding you don't end up having to take 2 inches off because it's all damaged. As for a good shampoo & conditioner for thick wavy dry hair, try Curly Sexy Hair. (Blue bottles) Great Clips has the liters on right now for I believe 30-35 dollars. They also carry 100% guarantee on their products and services, so even if you use the shampoo & don't like it, you can return it/exchange it. 
  • Options
    I have natural wavy course hair too. I use Dove damage therapy and have had great results. I've been trying to find a good shampoo for years and landed on this one. I add in Pantene Curly hair Mouse and Hairspray to keep the frizz away. I understand the trying to grow the hair out thing. My mom took me to a new hairdresser (Mom-daughter hang-out day) and the hairdresser took I'm trying to grow my hair out so just a trim as leave 8 inches on the floor. I could'nt even put it in a pony tail. I've stopped using a hot iron just to reduce split ends so I don't have to get trims as often (I go twice a year normally and my hair grows pretty fast - about an inch a month). I don't think we can change how fast hair grows.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Yes, you should get your hair trimmed. It won't help yoru hair grow faster, but it will keep it looking healthier. 

If you want your hair as long as possible, you want to focus on keeping it as protected as possible. Wear it in braids or other styles where it isn't down or tightly constricted by bands to keep it from getting banged around as much. (Pony tails are bad for this, the ends get tangled and have to be combed or brushed, which can cause damage, while the tight band is up high right next to your head, crushing the hair and weakening it. Loose braids, loose french braids, and buns held with hair forks are best.) 

Ditch the blow dryer and the hot iron. Heat is killer on your hair. 

Consider trying not to get it wet as often - hair is most delicate when wet. Especially with curly hair, which can be more delicate than straight hair. If you wash your hair every day now, try moving to every other day and keeping it up and dry on the off days. Moving to washing it once a week, with rinsing and conditioner every few days, will keep your hair more protected longer. (Some people swear by never using shampoo at all. It can take some experimentation to find what works best for you.)

Switching to shampoos and conditioners that don't contain sulfates is also a good idea. SLS and other sulfates are chemicals used in cleaning products to make them foam up dramatically. They don't actually clean anything, but they will dry out your hair and can cause damage to sensitive skin. I love J.A.S.O.N Jojoba shampoo and conditioner. I also use different weights of conditioner on different parts of my hair. My ends need heavier conditioner, so they get an after treatment (R&B from LUSH), but my scalp to my shoulders only needs a light conditioner, so I have a tea tree oil conditioner that keeps my scalp happy without making my hair heavy. 

Treat your hair like a cashmere sweater that you wear every day. 
  • Options
    Very much agree with the THELADYKATHERYN especially for curly hair gals! Its so important to not blow dry or brush your hair! Combing or even finger combing is the best and try the no poo or atleast organic shampoos with out the sulfates. There is a whole website about "NO POO" that can give you lots of tips and products that are safe for your hair and not a waste of money!

It is funny though how I have never had a hair stylist give me any of these tips...I did my own research ;)
  • Options
    lfreeman24lfreeman24 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited March 2012
    I am in the same boat, and every time I left a trim I was upset that my hair seemed so much shorter. I finally listened to my hairdresser and stopped washing my hair every day. At first I did it every other, and now I do it every 2 days. Since I've done that when I get a trim and my hair dresser just removes the "dead stuff" it is literally just a dusting off the bottom layer. I left the last trim and it looked like nothing was taken off! My hair is a lot healthier, my scalp a lot less dry.

Keep in mind i do get my hair wet every day, and straighten or diffuse (if I'm going curly) but I also put conditioner on the ends every day too. 

I've been using a deep conditioner once a week as well which has helped a lot!
    Good Luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards