Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh

Dress fitting/Bra help

Hey Everyone,
I had my first dress fitting yesterday and everything went great, but I am concerned about cleavage.  I am about a size 6 but have a size DD chest.  The seamstress said that she could put in bra cups, but they just seemed to make me hang out more. (The bra cups were like little half cups with padding on the bottom).  She said those were the only option.  I would have to wear a corset style bra if I wear one, and have never had luck or been comfortable in one of those.  My question is...If the dress is fitted well enough, can I go braless without looking saggy or like I am hanging out?
What did you ladies do, especially those with a large chest!

Re: Dress fitting/Bra help

• edited December 2011
    I think it depends on how lifting the dress is/whether or not there's boning/some other structure to help you up aside from the cups! ;) You don't want to worry about feeling awkward on your wedding day. When you tried it on, did your top look okay in the mirror sans bra? Did you feel like you had enough support? 

I had great luck at Soma finding a bra to wear to try on dresses. They have a bunch of different strapless options. I found one with some push up, not a lot of extra padding, and it actually stayed up all day with no fuss (usually I end up having them ride down over time) or discomfort despite getting in and out of a lot of dresses! I actually forgot I was wearing a strapless bra.
    Married since May 12, 2012
  • pantherRNpantherRN member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're about the same proportion and the only way I would go braless is if my dress was a corset and we could get it tight enough.

I'll probably fork over the money for a really nice strapless or long line bra.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • needavacationneedavacation member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm also a size 4 - 6, 34DD.  My dress was a corset style and I was REALLY tightly corseted (think Scarlett O'Hara) & I still felt more comfortable wearing a strapless bodysuit / bustier.  Those little sewn-in cups are useless for us more "buxom" girls, IMO.  I had a bodysuit style (with snaps for easy bathroom breaks!), it really helped to sculpt my waistline too, and the girls were kept under control. Plus it was lace and very sexy for after the reception.  Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    needvacation- where did you find this wonderful bra u speak of?  :)

Anyone else have suggestions for an awesome bra that is COMFORTABLE?

• edited December 2011
    Flowerstar- do you remember the specific name or style you got?

• edited December 2011
    In the same boat with all of you ladies, except I'm a 32D.  My dress has a ton of structure, but I got a log-line bra at Maidenform in Grove City for $35.  It sucks everything in and pushes the girls upi without heavy padding! 
    My Bio
    Derp Engagement Photo
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Bubs711Bubs711 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Two good places for larger busted women are Lady Godiva in Penn Hills and SmartForm downtown.  I ended up getting mine at SmartForm.  I was not having luck anywhere else with longline bras, and the lady at SmartForm was SOOO nice.  She told me they could even alter the bra since I'm very short waisted and the stays were poking me in the boobs.  She even marked it so that I could make sure it worked under the dress first.  It turned out that my bridal store ended up altering the bra, and while it still was a bra it was not as bad as most, and it was actually pretty. 

• edited December 2011
    Holy crap! Sofia?  I just noticed your picture!  It's Michelle...your old substitute social worker  :)  I am getting married in July!  I miss you guys at West A!  Congrats on your wedding last summer!  I am fretting over this bra situation...haha

Send me a PM and let me know what's up!
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My mom has gone to Lady Godiva before and really liked the store and the staff.
  • edited December 2011
    Can I just chime in and say I hate you girls with your big boobs and tiny bodies. I am insanely jealous!! :D
    RT + JB
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    The only item I will not compromise on...my bouquet of all purple tulips wrapped in a swatch from my Mom's wedding dress.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    J, you can have 'em. Sometimes they cause more trouble than they're worth.
  • gmc22gmc22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-pittsburgh_dress-fittingbra?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:116Discussion:18314272-810c-45ec-a36c-ad4b20d1e0e3Post:bd2830bb-91d9-444c-bc1d-b9713dbafe17">Re: Dress fitting/Bra help</a>:
    [QUOTE]Can I just chime in and say I hate you girls with your big boobs and tiny bodies. I am insanely jealous!! :D
    Posted by jlbaxter33[/QUOTE]

LOL! Agreed! I too am jealous... I would like some bigger boobs to better filll out my dress! LOL!!!  ;)
  • cgyvhucgyvhu member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm with j and g - share the wealth! =P
  • needavacationneedavacation member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The one I had looked something like this one: http://weddings.theknot.com/Bridal-Accessories/26865/detailview.aspx?id=26865&type=21&TM=21

Good luck in your search!

(BTW, they are DEFINITELY more trouble than they're worth, highly overrated!!)
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-pittsburgh_dress-fittingbra?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:116Discussion:18314272-810c-45ec-a36c-ad4b20d1e0e3Post:fedc6838-1ba3-4e66-927c-0ae3aa899e5a">Re: Dress fitting/Bra help</a>:
    [QUOTE]J, you can have 'em. Sometimes they cause more trouble than they're worth.
    Posted by pantherRN[/QUOTE]

<div>Haha. Agree with Panther here!</div>
    Married since May 12, 2012
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards