May 2012 Weddings

my mother is wierd pip (long sorry but not a vent)

okay instead of asking where the money needed to be spent she went out and bouht a new veil  for 300 dollars and a cake server set (which i did need).

i have a veil dont get me wrong the one she bought is gorgeous but not 100% what i had envisioned... I dont want to be ungratefull but im still trying to decide if i like it enough to oust the veil my fiance picked or the one that came with my dress. *shakes head* I dont need three veils...

Its a three tier where both the others were a two tier. this has a rat tail edge where the others had no edge and  this ones cathedral length where the other two were elbow length. It has this cap thing that im unsure of however the lace is gorgeous and it has that extra poof i wanted and the shade of white is closer to the shade of the dress. The more i look at it the more i like it but that isnt really the issue...

so do i use the new veil that my mom paid so much for or the one that came with my dress (that is gorgeous but the wrong shade of white) or the one my fiance picked out (that does not have the right poof to it but has gorgeous sparkels) and how do i pick one withoutoffending the other person? also the one my mom bought cannot be returned

Anniversary Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: my mother is wierd pip (long sorry but not a vent)

• That's tough. I always hate telling my mom no to something she does or wants to do because it kind of makes me feel bad. However, in your case, I'd probably have to tell her thanks, but no thanks. I would tell her that you've sort of played around with all three veils & think the one you already have will look the best. Tell her you love the veil she got you, but the other one fits your needs better.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • wow, i can't believe she paid $300 for a veil first of all.... and second, i can't believe she paid $300 for a veil that she couldn't return!  that blows my mind.

maybe you could try each veil on with your dress and take pictures from different angles and what you like better.

did your mom know you already had TWO other veils?
  • I would just go with the one that complements your dress best.  I would hope that both your mom and your FI would understand your decision.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickersFollow Me on Pinterest
  • as i said my mom is wierd. she heard me say that the veil that comes with my dress isnt the correct shade of white. she also heard that the veil my fiance picked didnt have an edge to it and so she assumed that she could pick a better one. 

she hasnt seen my dress

i told fiance and he said whatever i do is fine with him as long as i can still use the tiara he bought me. i think i still can... (this is a must as its hand crafted silver and porcelin that he paid a pretty penny for although he wont tell me how much...)
    Anniversary Follow Me on Pinterest
  • or you could just have a veil made specifically to go with your dress and the tiara your FI got you.  then you could have the poof that you want, the edging, the right color, etc, etc, etc
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_may-2012-weddings_my-mother-is-wierd-long-sorry-but-not-a-vent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:f0ca0bc1-9255-4120-8042-b40e7f3e99c5Discussion:1422719c-c9e9-4393-ae01-761f5ebdc6e7Post:b2f911ee-ab63-4d74-bbbc-9493c5e30111">Re: my mother is wierd pip (long sorry but not a vent)</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>wow, i can't believe she paid $300 for a veil first of all.... and second, i can't believe she paid $300 for a veil that she couldn't return!  that blows my mind</strong>. maybe you could try each veil on with your dress and take pictures from different angles and what you like better. did your mom know you already had TWO other veils?
    Posted by comeongetdown[/QUOTE]

Ditto!

Can you wear the new pricey veil with the tiara and make everyone happy? I would try to make that work. $300 is alot of money for some tulle.
  • This is tough, but like pp said go for the one you love the most. Btw my veil was about 300 dollars . Ha with my dress being 500. They are pricy!
  • Honestly I think a tiara and a veil with that detailed/wide a headpiece is going to look wierd, I would wear the one your FI got you and be done with it. Say thanks mom, its really generous, but you really wanted to wear the tiara and it goes better with soemthing less overstated. (Hopefully she can sell it and recoup some of that....seriously why would she spend that kind of money on something that cant be returned without even knowing if you like/want it...I might try and go back to the place she got it and explain anyways and see if they will at least buy it back at a discount seeing as its not your fault.)

May 2012 July Siggy: Favorite Vacation Spot Kaleden, BC
    July Fave Vacation Spot photo IMG_0268-1.jpg

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    My Blog:Through My Eyes

• Honestly, I would wear whichever one you prefer. Your mom should have asked before she spent that much on something she couldn't return! If your mom is upset that you are not wearing her veil you will have to explain she should have checked with you first... 
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited March 2012
    That is INSANE! Wow! Your mom is brave doing that. 

I have been toying with the idea of changing veils for the reception, maybe you could do something like this? I want to just because I love veils and my ceremony one is really long and I don't want to step on it when we dance. 

Maybe you could wear your favorite one for the ceremony, then change into one of the others for the reception, and another for the getaway? It sounds silly to some people but I think it's kind of fun and that way there will be no hurt feelings and you can strategically put them in the order of your favorites so the most pictures will be in your favorite one. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_may-2012-weddings_my-mother-is-wierd-long-sorry-but-not-a-vent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:f0ca0bc1-9255-4120-8042-b40e7f3e99c5Discussion:1422719c-c9e9-4393-ae01-761f5ebdc6e7Post:7b176440-77a0-4bf7-b661-71de0b9448e5">Re: my mother is wierd pip (long sorry but not a vent)</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would just go with the one that complements your dress best.  I would hope that both your mom and your FI would understand your decision.
    Posted by marisha115[/QUOTE]

<div>This.</div>
    photo trex2_zps7ab4e9b0.jpg
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards