Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh
Options

Venue help: Down to 3 choices, or maybe 4?

Hey y'all,

I think we've successfully narrowed it down to a few venue options.  If anyone has worked with these places or knows anyone who has, please weigh in!  Should have about 100 guests, budget is flexible, ideally would have some indoor and outdoor time.

Also, we are going to see each place next weekend... are there are any non-obvious questions we should be asking?

Thanks everyone!

Options:
Mattress Factory
Warhol Museum
Aviary
J Verno studios

Re: Venue help: Down to 3 choices, or maybe 4?

• Options
    bgfst1bgfst1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you're wanting indoor/outdoor time, the Warhol wouldn't work. I didn't look at J Verno, but did look at Mattress Factory, Warhol, and Aviary and I really thought all would make an awesome choice. The Warhol has the most formal feel, to me, out of those 3, with the Aviary having a much more casual feel. The Mattress Factory needs the most work - ceiling decor, up-lighting, table/chair rentals.... but I love their outdoor space.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We decided to get married at the Aviary since we like the indoor outdoor combo and the more informal garden type atmosphere. Plus, who wouldn't want a penguin at their wedding? Also, since our budget is fairly firm, it was one of the more economical options since their rental is about half that of the Warhol and lasts longer. The Mattress Factory was too small for us. Plus, we wanted to use Northside vendors since we live on the Northside and the Aviary allows people to use Bistro to Go (which also happens to be cheaper than the other options) for catering. 

That being said, I went to J Vernos Studios a couple of months ago for an event and it's a really awesome, flexible space. I'd definitely recommend checking it out if you're interested. We didn't look at it from a wedding standpoint. I'd also recommend checking out the Children's Museum for a more upscale but still fun space. 
    Married since May 12, 2012
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh, and if you haven't already, the New Hazlett Theatre is really cool too! Very modern hip space.
    Married since May 12, 2012
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks guys!  All this info is really helpful.

There's always the option of having the ceremony outdoors in one place and then moving guests to a reception at JV or Warhol, but I want to make sure its a short distance and no hassle whatsoever.  Maybe Aviary to the Warhol?  Someone else on this board also recommended Allegheny park which looked nice.

Good to hear about the MF garden space, it looked sorta rundown in pics I saw!  I think that is our #1 choice but I'm worried about it being slightly too small, especially b/c we want a reasonably big dance floor.  (Gina at MF said the dancing tends to occupy both indoor/outdoor space, which kinda sounds weird to me?)

I saw New Hazlett in another couples photos... I like the idea but not thriled about getting married on stage!  I think I will go ahead an look at J Verno too, although he's entirely booked on Saturdays for May and June :( Really appreciate all your thoughts!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards