May 2012 Weddings
Options

NWR: BOOKS! (Anyone on Goodreads?)

So keeping the NWR trend going....has anyone read any good books lately?  I know we did this post about 6 months ago, but I've made it through all those books I got from that thread so I figured we could have another one.

And if anyone is on Goodreads, I am too =]
photo trex2_zps7ab4e9b0.jpg
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: NWR: BOOKS! (Anyone on Goodreads?)

• Options
    I'm on Goodreads!!! I read Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter not too long ago (a suggestion via Goodreads) and I really enjoyed it! You should join the Bookworm Bitches Bookclub :) Lots of message boards and great book suggestions :)
    imageVisit The Nest!
  • Options
    I love all Jodi Picoult books! I also liked Sarah's Key, The Kite Runner, A Thousand Splendid Suns, & Water for Elephants. I know none of those are too "new," but I haven't read any books lately, unfortunately!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I read Sarah's Key recently... LOVED it.  While I was on the difficult subject roll, I also read 'The Hour I First Believed' by Wally Lamb. I may have been a little partial, since I"m from CT, and part of the book is set in CT, but I thought it was a good read.

Also, obviously, the Dragon Tattoo Series. 

Oooh..  Also, The Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet.  Powerful read.

I'd love any more suggestions, ladies..  I started reading a lot more once I got my kindle..  and now that FI gave me a kindle Fire, I just can't put it down!!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    im more of a fantasy reader myself. currently rereading some of ann mcaffery's stuff and am trying to read inheritance. (sister borrowed my book and i cant finish till shes done grrrrr) I have read water for elephants though. i really liked that and i finished the help latley
    Anniversary Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Love these threads!  I can't remember what books I posted last time, but here's a bunch I've enjoyed that I've read since September or so:

-Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese

-Faith by Jennifer Haigh
    This was one of my favorite books this year.  I absolutely FLEW through it.  It's a pretty easy read about a family who is caught up in the Catholic priest scandal in Boston.  The oldest brother (Art) is a priest who has been accused of wrong doing and the narrator (his sister) spends most of the book exploring his possible guilt and possible innocence.  Great read!

-Boys and Girls Like You and Me by Aryn Kyle
    I previously had read The God of Animals by Aryn Kyle and really enjoyed it.  This particular book of hers is a collection of short stories. 

-We Need to Talk about Kevin by Lionel Shriver
    This novel is a series of letters that a mother is writing to her estranged husband about their son, Kevin, who (like the Columbine massacre) killed several students at their school.  It's a fascinating look at what the parents of a sociopath might be like.

-The Adults by Alison Espach

-The Buddah in the Attic by Julie Otsuka
    This is a very short book that is interestingly told in a collective voice about picture brides coming from Japan to the United States.  The use of language here was excellent.

-Skippy Dies by Paul Murray
    This book is about a boy, Skippy, who attends a boarding school in Scotland and (obviously) dies.  This book covers a wide range of topics - from string theory to the teenage drug culture in Britain.  The author follows different characters in each chapter of this book and has a great voice when he writes.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_may-2012-weddings_nwr-books-anyone-on-goodreads?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:f0ca0bc1-9255-4120-8042-b40e7f3e99c5Discussion:25a8b6e7-85b8-4da3-a219-cc63fd2f9663Post:09ad6dff-c086-4797-85c9-33505f3a69f0">Re: NWR: BOOKS! (Anyone on Goodreads?)</a>:
    [QUOTE]I read Sarah's Key recently... LOVED it.  While I was on the difficult subject roll, I also read <strong>'The Hour I First Believed' by Wally Lamb</strong>. I may have been a little partial, since I"m from CT, and part of the book is set in CT, but I thought it was a good read. Also, obviously, the Dragon Tattoo Series.  Oooh..  Also, <strong>The Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet</strong>.  Powerful read. I'd love any more suggestions, ladies..  I started reading a lot more once I got my kindle..  and now that FI gave me a kindle Fire, I just can't put it down!!
    Posted by careydes[/QUOTE]

<div>LOVE the two that I bolded. "The Hour I First Believed" is one of my all time favorites. It's long, but really worth it. </div><div>
    </div><div>I also read "Room" recently. That was really good. And if you're into non-fiction, Steve Jobs' biography is very, very good.</div>
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Also for anyone who is into the Hunger Games books, I have two other dystopian young adults books that are great reads.  My 6th graders recommended them to me.  They are:

Divergent by Veronica Roth (I love this one because it takes place in post-apocalyptic Chicago and had a lot of Chicago landmarks in it.)

Matched by Ally Condie

Anniversary
  • Options
    I have The Hour I First Believed, just haven't got around to reading it!  So glad to hear you all loved it.  I'll need to get to that.

I didn't read this, buy my bookclub read Unbroken by Laura Hillebrand and everyone loved it!  And, my book club is a picky crew. 
  • Options
    I'm loving all the book suggestions! Tax busy season has taken away all of m goodtime, but I'm on goodreads. I'll have to read some of these when things calm down :)
    Anniversary
  • Options
    If you are interested in like crime fiction thrillers, I loke Tess Gerritsen. She does the Rizzoli & Isles books.
  • Options
    Oh, for those of you who liked "The Hour I First Believed", you should read "I Know This Much is True", also by Wally Lamb. I think it's the better of the two.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Im reading the Best of Me by Nicholas Sparks- its okay so far. And I just finished Girl with the Dragon Tattoo... took SO long to get into it and it never lived up to the hype for me  (maybe my expectations were too high?) However, it was good. And yes, Im on goodreads :)
    http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/6696601-jessica
  • Options

Ohhh...I like this post! I am a book wh*re! haha.

I'm on goodreads too! I have a "list" of my absolute favorite reads. I'd love for all May bloggers to be my goodreads friend! :-)

I recently read Stephen King's "11/22/63." I loved it! It's somewhat historical fiction--the assassination of JFK--but also sci-fi. It's basically a time travel book. Surprisingly, it's a love story too. I didn't expect that from Stephen King, but he did an amazing job.

I'm also a high school English teacher, so I read quite a bit of young adult literature. Currently, I'm teaching a dystopian unit. If anyone has good dystopian novel recommendations, my students and I would greatly appreciate them!

http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/2480496-jaime

imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'm on Good Reads! http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/8076918-bethany

I just finished all three Hunger Games books and LOVED them! My next book is The Paris Wife for my book club. After that I'm going to read Dreams of Joy which is the follow up to Shanghai Girls.

Other books: Kite Runner, Thousand Splendid Suns, 20th Wife, Water for Elephants... I might come back and update as I think of more.
    May '12 Nesties
    March Siggy Challenge: Furbaby
    MARRIED!
  • Options
    Yay books! When I have the time, I read CONSTANTLY.

Most recently I've read (and would recommend):

Night Circus (about magicians)
    The Rules of Civility (about '20's socialites in NYC)
    A Discovery of Witches (a more mature take on the whole vampire/ witch/ fairy genre)

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (kid's book, but I really enjoyed it)
    Wildwood (another kids book, but written by the lead singer of The Decemberists, and surprisingly good)

Getting ready to read The Sherlockian and The Somnambulist- Not really sure what either are about :)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_may-2012-weddings_nwr-books-anyone-on-goodreads?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:f0ca0bc1-9255-4120-8042-b40e7f3e99c5Discussion:25a8b6e7-85b8-4da3-a219-cc63fd2f9663Post:e7b0f173-85d4-44c3-a641-c9c3f163527c">Re: NWR: BOOKS! (Anyone on Goodreads?)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: NWR: BOOKS! (Anyone on Goodreads?) : LOVE the two that I bolded. "The Hour I First Believed" is one of my all time favorites. It's long, but really worth it. <strong> I also read "Room" recently. That was really good.</strong> And if you're into non-fiction, Steve Jobs' biography is very, very good.
    Posted by pantherRN[/QUOTE]

Yes... I did enjoy Room. 

I have gotten been mostly reading cheesy thriller or mystery or your basic boy-meets-girl books lately because I read them on the elliptical.  It's about the only thing that passes the time :)

But as I posted before, I love more substantial books as well...  I just don't know where to find them.

Water for Elephants and The Help also get my vote- as does Time Travelers Wife, and another by Niffenegger - Her Fearful Symmetry.

Another one I enjoyed a little while ago- Little Bee.  Not at all what I expected from the book, but I couldn't put it down.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I read a lot of Nichoas Sparks books. He wrote the "The Notebook" But he has a lot of other great ones. One of my favorites was "The Guardian". I am a big reader so I'm always looking for new material!
    Anniversary image
  • Options
    JaimeD727 - Try Divergent!!

Another Wally Lamb book I loved is She's Come Undone.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I really need to get back into reading now that I am done with school... I used to read all of the time, but after going to college and being forced to read crap I didn't like reading for fun anymore. I always love Nicholas Sparks' books though :)
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Thanks Tully16! I just added it to my "to read" list. It definitely looks like one I will enjoy as well as my students.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Yay for books!  These are some books I've read in the past year that I liked (I read about 50 last year).  I tend to like fantasy & sci-fi, but I also like mystery, psychological thrillers, and some historical fiction.

-The Dark Tower series by Stephen King - definitely a different take on "fantasy", not your typical wizards/elves/orcs fantasy.

-The Kingkiller Chronicles series by Patrick Rothfuss - fantasy, definitely awesome!  Thanks to Tully16 for suggesting it in the last thread.

-The Game of Thrones series by George Martin - fantasy, awesome goes without saying.  So excited for the HBO adaptation!

-The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson - historical fiction about the Chicago World Fair and the serial killer H.H Holmes

-The Hangman's Daughter by Oliver Potzsch - historial fiction

-A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness - like PP said, fantasy/a more adult take on the supernatural beings genre
    photo trex2_zps7ab4e9b0.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards