May 2012 Weddings
Options

My DIY project PIP

Hey ladies.  I'm attempting to paint wine glasses.  I'd really love to do these as my favors.  My plan is to make one for each guest and put their initial on the glass and have some sort of uniform design on it.  

I've started experimenting with painting the glasses and I finally have the right brushes and how to make them look uniform.  But, the lines of the initials look pretty clean, but I'd love to make them perfect (I know this isn't exactly feasible to have them be perfect but I want to get it as close as possible.)  Anyone know any good ways to make the lines cleaner?? 

Here is a picture of one of the ones I just tried out (It's on a cylindrical vase because the wine glasses at Michael's weren't as big as what I wanted to use, so I grabbed the vase just to test it out) and don't mind the little purple swirl at the top I was just playing with my new brushes and colors. 

I'd love to learn how to do something like this:

Does anyone have any idea how you would get the white swirls in the black like that??  I'd looooove to but I can't figure out how I might do that.

Thanks for everyones help!  I'm going to cross post this in the DIY section as well!
Photobucket

Re: My DIY project PIP

• Options
    Mona8Mona8 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Comment
    Wow, you did that?! That looks great! I'm not very creative or artistic so I can't answer any of your questions :(    But I just had to tell you how awesome of a job I think you did!
    imageAnniversary
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_may-2012-weddings_diy-project?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:f0ca0bc1-9255-4120-8042-b40e7f3e99c5Discussion:2d6a1501-d229-477c-bb8f-9ba5105b073bPost:e4d8c53d-1889-484b-8066-ee38e9085082">Re: My DIY project</a>:
    [QUOTE]Wow, you did that?! That looks great! I'm not very creative or artistic so I can't answer any of your questions :(    But I just had to tell you how awesome of a job I think you did!
    Posted by Mona8[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>I did the one with the "K" on it.  I want to learn how to do the black and white swirls on the second glass, I was trying to see if any of you had any idea how I might do that! </div><div>
    </div><div>But if you were saying the one with the K looks great then thanks haha, I KNOW the one on the bottom looks awesome, I hope one day I can paint glasses like that!</div>
    Photobucket
  • Options
    Mona8Mona8 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited May 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_may-2012-weddings_diy-project?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:f0ca0bc1-9255-4120-8042-b40e7f3e99c5Discussion:2d6a1501-d229-477c-bb8f-9ba5105b073bPost:5869cb11-5053-43e7-9eab-d878db16d5ef">Re: My DIY project</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: My DIY project : I did the one with the "K" on it.  I want to learn how to do the black and white swirls on the second glass, I was trying to see if any of you had any idea how I might do that!  But if you were saying the one with the K looks great then thanks haha, I KNOW the one on the bottom looks awesome, I hope one day I can paint glasses like that!
    Posted by greeneke2[/QUOTE]

haha, I was talking about the one with the K! I would have messed that up so badly if I tried!

Edit: If I had to guess on how to do the second one, I would think maybe you paint the black rectangle on and then find some sort of stencil to paint the white swirls over it  ??
    imageAnniversary
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_may-2012-weddings_diy-project?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:f0ca0bc1-9255-4120-8042-b40e7f3e99c5Discussion:2d6a1501-d229-477c-bb8f-9ba5105b073bPost:d19a3a7e-93e7-43ed-a1e0-016c954c24be">Re: My DIY project</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: My DIY project : haha, I was talking about the one with the K! I would have messed that up so badly if I tried!
    Posted by Mona8[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>Haha.  I am SOO not artistically inclined so this was pretty difficult for me.  I had a lot of trial and error.  I tried to use a stencil first, but those don't work so well on curved glass lol.  So, I decided to print the font out onto a piece of paper and tape it on the inside of the glass and essentially trace it.  It turned out pretty well I think, luckily the paint will come off with nail polish remover as long as your haven't baked it yet to set the paint, so I can clean it up a little bit. I just need to figure out how to make the lines even better!  There has to be a trick!</div>
    Photobucket
  • Options
    I love your K! As for the swirls... you could trace them onto the glass and get a superfine brush to paint them.
  • Options
    Hmmm... if I were trying to re-create the groom's glass I would guess that if the paint is on the inside of the glass, they free-handed the white swirls and painted the black over it, but if the paint is on the outside of the glass, they painted the black with the white swirls on top.  I'm not sure if you've seen this glass in real-life, but just by looking at the picture it almost looks like the word "groom" with the white box is painted on the outside of the front of the glass and the background with the swirls is painted on the outside of the opposite side of the glass (if that makes any sense).  When the glass is empty it gives it this layered look, but when the glass is full you can only see the word groom or the decoration depending on which side of the glass your looking at.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_may-2012-weddings_diy-project?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:f0ca0bc1-9255-4120-8042-b40e7f3e99c5Discussion:2d6a1501-d229-477c-bb8f-9ba5105b073bPost:12ca9316-b011-43e7-bec0-f0c1eeeba427">Re: My DIY project PIP</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hmmm... if I were trying to re-create the groom's glass I would guess that if the paint is on the inside of the glass, they free-handed the white swirls and painted the black over it, but if the paint is on the outside of the glass, they painted the black with the white swirls on top.  I'm not sure if you've seen this glass in real-life, but just by looking at the picture it almost looks like the word "groom" with the white box is painted on the outside of the front of the glass and the background with the swirls is painted on the outside of the opposite side of the glass (if that makes any sense).  When the glass is empty it gives it this layered look, but when the glass is full you can only see the word groom or the decoration depending on which side of the glass your looking at.
    Posted by beterrel[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Yep I understand what you are saying!  I haven't seen the groom glass, but everything I've read about painting wine glasses they say absolutely don't paint the inside of the glass.  So I'm not sure if that is what she did or not.  I just don't understand how it looks so crisp if they are both layered on the outside.  My fiance told me to just order one from this girl, just so I can see how it is done.  and I might have to do that.  The layered look is so difficult!  I might just have to start trying it all out!  I was hoping maybe someone had already done it haha

</div>
    Photobucket
  • Options
    My only worry, is I know if I want these to be favors, they need to look GOOD.  I don't think anyone is going to want a DIY favor, that actually looks like I did it myself, so I am trying to perfect my technique so I don't embarrass myself. 
    Photobucket
  • Options
    maybe the swoorls were embossed? I know you can get the stuff to do it at a craft store, but have no idea how to do it personally...

btw, the "K" vase does look great! nice job! :)
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Thanks!!  I'll have to check out embossing it!  I have a feeling figuring out how to do this is going to be very trial and error.  Its like a best kept secret and no one wants to spill how to do it haha.  I've searched high and low on the internet with no luck!
    Photobucket
  • Options
    I know they have stencils for painting and etching glass...I am looking into etching glasses for my wedding party.  I'm sure you could find a stencil that would help you out on the black and white swirls.
    May 2012 Siggy ~ Favorite E-pic image
  • Options
    For cleaning up the glass, you can use a toothpick with nail polish remover on it to get into the fine detailed areas.

I use a toothpick when cleaning up the fine detailed areas of the painted door-hangers I made for my nieces.  You have better control over a toothpick than a fine pointed brush.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_may-2012-weddings_diy-project?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:f0ca0bc1-9255-4120-8042-b40e7f3e99c5Discussion:2d6a1501-d229-477c-bb8f-9ba5105b073bPost:7b30773e-6e77-4ba4-9c9b-46dc227b049f">Re: My DIY project PIP</a>:
    [QUOTE]I know they have stencils for painting and etching glass...I am looking into etching glasses for my wedding party.  I'm sure you could find a stencil that would help you out on the black and white swirls.
    Posted by arauchte[/QUOTE]

<div>I looked into those but I couldn't find a stencil I actually liked.  I know I'm being picky, but I just have a vision in my head!</div>
    Photobucket
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_may-2012-weddings_diy-project?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:f0ca0bc1-9255-4120-8042-b40e7f3e99c5Discussion:2d6a1501-d229-477c-bb8f-9ba5105b073bPost:92069c6a-9e6a-4c8a-9240-007b382e0b71">Re: My DIY project PIP</a>:
    [QUOTE]For cleaning up the glass, you can use a toothpick with nail polish remover on it to get into the fine detailed areas. I use a toothpick when cleaning up the fine detailed areas of the painted door-hangers I made for my nieces.  You have better control over a toothpick than a fine pointed brush.
    Posted by gnatters[/QUOTE]

<div>OOO this is a good idea, I had been using a Q-tip but it just wasn't precise enough, I thought of buying those Q-tips that are pointed on the end but the toothpick idea is so much better! thanks!</div>
    Photobucket
  • Options
    Cool idea, you did an awesome job!
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    See if you can find some contact paper that can printed on. Then use a craft knief to cut out the shape then it would actually stick to the curve of your glass. Just make sure the edges and really pressed down well. That is the technique that class etchers use. I don't see why it woldnt work for paint as well.
    White Knot
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_may-2012-weddings_diy-project?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:f0ca0bc1-9255-4120-8042-b40e7f3e99c5Discussion:2d6a1501-d229-477c-bb8f-9ba5105b073bPost:867e22a8-95bf-4a8a-8467-504ccbaa7d10">Re: My DIY project PIP</a>:
    [QUOTE]See if you can find some contact paper that can printed on. Then use a craft knief to cut out the shape then it would actually stick to the curve of your glass. Just make sure the edges and really pressed down well. That is the technique that class etchers use. I don't see why it woldnt work for paint as well.
    Posted by daftmagpie[/QUOTE]

This is what I was thinking. I've made candles as christmas gifts before and etched the glass and this is exactly how I did it.

Good luck! Please share if you figure it out. :)
    Photobucket Daisypath Wedding tickers LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Options
    Yes, that sounds like a good idea, I had thought of that before but I had no luck finding any contact paper, I might just buy it online
    Photobucket
  • Options
    I did a project a while back with porcelain. I used these special shapie markers that you baked afterwards. Not sure how that would work for this though as it would be over a layer of paint. Plus with a pen you would struggle to vary the width of the curvy lines. Good luck. The K looks awesome in the pic by the way!!
    May 2013 June Siggy:Flowers!
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards