May 2012 Weddings
Options

May 12th brides

Are you getting no's because of the next day being Mother's Day?

I don't get it.  Maybe I will when I am a mom, but I don't understand how Mother's Day on Sunday affects my wedding on Saturday.

My FMIL even said we would probably get a lot of "no"s because of Mother's Day. I must have looked at her like she had 3 heads.

I might just be a heartless bitttch with a blackened soul, but I have never made that big of a deal out of Mother's day.  Sure, I send her cards, flowers, take her out to lunch, but I wouldn't revolve my entire weekend around Mother's day.  And, yes, we have a fine relationship lol.

Its just weird, some people I thought would surely come aren't because of the next day being Mother's day.  I guess maybe since the wedding is 1.5 hours away, they feel they would need a hotel and maybe they want to wake up with their kids the next morning?  I don't know, again, I never made THAT big of a deal of Mother's Day.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: May 12th brides

• Options
    I honestly wouldnt think people wouldnt come because of Mothers day being the next day (if your having a Saturday wedding) or even if the wedding is on Mothers day and your close to the couple that would be a dumb reason not to go to the wedding. 
    March Siggy: Our Furbabies Thunder and Tinkerbelle photo 576844_10151220437472389_274194501_n.jpg PhotobucketPhotobucket
    He put a ring on it!!! 12-12-10! Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    For Sale Bio
  • Options
    I agree with you ladies! I think my plans might be effected if I had to stay Saturday night because the wedding is too far away to drive back home. But if the person is a close friend or family member I would give up one Mother's Day to travel... But how often have you ladies celebrated your birthday (or someone else's) or dating anniversary not on the actual day and it was still just as special? Can't they celebrate Mother's Day the next weekend?
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Our wedding is a lunch wedding, so people will be able to get to where they need to be for mothers day... but regardless, even if you do make a big deal about mother's day and you always have brunch with your mom, you think for one year you would say "hey, mom, I have a wedding to go to the evening before, can we have dinner instead?" I don't get it :S hopefully it's not a problem!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I probably lack a soul too because I don't know why it would be such a big deal. Our wedding was originally going to be on mothers day, but our venue gave us sat for the same price. As far as I know, none of our no's will be because of mothers day. My mother actually liked the idea of a mothers day wedding, she saw it as a gift. But I still don't see the big deal. I mean, honestly, what are they going to do that's better?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_may-2012-weddings_may-12th-brides-7?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:f0ca0bc1-9255-4120-8042-b40e7f3e99c5Discussion:334b5d58-61ba-461c-8954-ec71f8d9a351Post:c1b7eef4-d453-4b5d-8cb3-5a6d97d38836">May 12th brides</a>:
    [QUOTE]Are you getting no's because of the next day being Mother's Day? I don't get it.  Maybe I will when I am a mom, but I don't understand how Mother's Day on Sunday affects my wedding on Saturday. My FMIL even said we would probably get a lot of "no"s because of Mother's Day. I must have looked at her like she had 3 heads.<strong> I might just be a heartless bitttch with a blackened soul, but I have never made that big of a deal out of Mother's day.  Sure, I send her cards, flowers, take her out to lunch, but I wouldn't revolve my entire weekend around Mother's day. </strong> And, yes, we have a fine relationship lol. Its just weird, some people I thought would surely come aren't because of the next day being Mother's day.  I guess maybe since the wedding is 1.5 hours away, they feel they would need a hotel and maybe they want to wake up with their kids the next morning?  I don't know, again, I never made THAT big of a deal of Mother's Day.
    Posted by RivieraBound[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I haven't heard this as a reason yet for me, but I feel exactly the same way.  Would you skip my wedding because it was someone else's birthday, too?  I just don't get it.  Mother's Day comes every year, our wedding comes once in a lifetime.  And if it's that big of a deal, you can't postpone the celebration to the next weekend like most people do when they can't see all of their family on holidays?  And like you said, the wedding is the day BEFORE!</div><div>
    </div>
    photo trex2_zps7ab4e9b0.jpg
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options

I had one person (from out of town) say she couldn't come...but she was hosting a mother's day weekend with her sisters and their mother.  I figured that was a good excuse. 

I'm still early in the RSVP process though...and some people haven't even realized it is mother's day weekend. 

• Options
    Ugh...Mother's Day? I think that's weird too. I knew our wedding was on Mother's Day weekend, but I didn't really give it much thought. I feel like most people don't even realize it until I tell them. To be honest, I think it's a much BIGger pain in the ss to go to a wedding on Columbus Day or Memorial Day weekend...
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

When we were setting the date for our wedding. I was originally thinking Memorial Day weekend, without realizing that's what it was until my FI pointed it out. He said there might be a lot of people going out of town that weekend. So, I went with May 12th. I worried about Mother's Day being Sunday might be a problem. But, at the same time I saw it more as a problem if the ceremony was on Mother's Day itself. That's a weak excuse not to come to someone's wedding. I agree with PP mentioning that the day could be honored later, a wedding isn't something that comes around every year. I'm early in my rsvp stage too. A few of the rsvps that I did receive happen to be mothers and seem to have no problem coming up here and they're out of town guests (one about 1.5 hours another a little more than that). Only decline I received so far was from my aunt. But that's because she runs an apartment complex and May is one of their busiest months for move-ins and move-outs. Not because of it being mother's day the next day.

• Options
    S0095042S0095042 member
    First Comment
    edited March 2012
    our date is the 11th and we haven't had an excessive about of "no-s" maybe we've just been lucky so far...

but I agree, Mothers Day is SUNDAY...NOT Saturday or Friday...and to be honest, it's never a huge holiday with us mostly b/c my parents annavarsary IS every other Mother's day...haha, we're getting married on their "off year" (you know since mother's day switches back and forth b/w 2 weekends)
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I haven't encountered any issues, and I don't think that I will. I agree with everyone else. I also asked a few close friends when planning if they thought I would have any problems and they all thought no, what's the big deal?!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards