May 2012 Weddings
Options

Receiving gifts early

We recieved a gift for our wedding yesterday. All the presents are wrapped but it came with a card. So we opened the card and it was sent from someone who is attending the wedding. I believe the etiquette is to open and send a thank you not but we are confused becasue the people are attending the wedding. Do we still open the gifts or wait until after the wedding. Thanks! 
image 204 Invited
image 148 Are ready to party!
image 56 Will be missing out!
image 0 Are MIA!
Daisypath Wedding tickers

Re: Receiving gifts early

• Options
    Are you having a shower? If you are and haven't had it yet, you could wait to open it then. If not, I think it's safe to open it now. Atleast that is what I would do, so when you said a TY note, you can thank them for sending x. Plus, if it's fragile in any way, you would want to make sure it's in tact.
  • Options
    Open and send a thank you note now.  Most people don't like to bring wedding presents to the wedding.  Then they have to carry them there and you have to worry about them at the end of the night.  You could always add we look forward to seeing you at our wedding or something.  Also its one less thank you note to send after the wedding!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_may-2012-weddings_receiving-gifts-early?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:f0ca0bc1-9255-4120-8042-b40e7f3e99c5Discussion:3d12830f-39ca-452b-ab0f-884397b3d42fPost:30ab3728-53d3-4bc6-a076-568cc505a4c3">Re: Receiving gifts early</a>:
    [QUOTE]Are you having a shower? If you are and haven't had it yet, you could wait to open it then. If not, I think it's safe to open it now. Atleast that is what I would do, so when you said a TY note, you can thank them for sending x. Plus, if it's fragile in any way, you would want to make sure it's in tact.
    Posted by vineyard12[/QUOTE]

<div>This!</div>
  • Options
    I would open it now and send the TY now. When I write things I put things like "we can't wait to use the pan" so that they know that while we opened it, we won't use it until after the wedding. I would anticipate getting a lot more gifts before the wedding. At least with my friends, most people send gifts before the wedding.
  • Options
    We got gifts last week. I opened them as soon as FI got home. It's good to open them now to make sure they are not damaged, the wrong item or something you don't like anymore. After opening I put everything back together in the box and put it in our guest room closet to be used after the wedding. Last night I wrote the TY and will be putting it in the mail this week.

It makes so much more sense for guests to send you gifts prior to the wedding instead of bringing it to the wedding, it's easier for you and them.
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    So items may not be in store when people go to purchase from your registry so they have it sent to you instead of bringing it. This could be the case it was with one of our gifts. Open it and send the note so that they know you recieved it. Plus I agree with PP if it's broken you will want to get that taken care of. Ours was broken!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards