Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh
Options

rehearsal dinners

So- I'm hoping reserving a place for our rehearsal dinner soon- I just have no idea what kind of place I want.  FMIL is just giving us money and she told us we have to plan everything ourselves (she's such a sweetheart, right?). So- picnic dinner with a catering company  ...  or  ...  sit down dinner at a nice restaurant in Zelineople.  Both the park and a few restaurants are close to the church, so- thoughts? opinions?

Re: rehearsal dinners

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Go with a restaurant if you can afford it.  It would mean that you wouldn't actually have to "plan" anything else on top of the wedding.  You wouldn't have to worry about getting food and drinks together or cleaning up (even if it is just hiring an caterer).  Plus, if it rains, you'll have shelter.  Just MO.  
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I love the idea of a pinic dinner.  It may depend on your family/guests though.  I know my family would be much more comfortable with a picnic dinner, vs having to dress up twice in one weekend! haha

When is the wedding (sorry it's slipped my mind).  Personally, I really want to have a picinic/bbq but we are afraid of the weather in October and where to have it.  We obviously would need a covered space but the option to be outside.

GL
    Favorite Thing About Fall- Fall Foods, apple pie, pumpkin cookies, apple cider... YUM!

Planning Bio

• Options
    edited December 2011
    We did a dinner at a restaurant and it was awesome.  The best part was the restaurant had a little bar on a lower floor.  For the first hour, we had appetizers and drinks there in a casual environment where everyone could mill around and meet each other. 

I agree with Shannon, if you have a picnic make sure there is no work to be done!  That is the last thing you'll want to be doing right before the wedding.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Wedding is end of May (the 22nd).

thats a very good point about the planing thing Shannon- and actually I think that's what will win out. Restaurant. It would be neat to have a casual picinic- and I've been to 3 picnic rehearsals before. But I think I'm more the type to dress up and have a formal sit down relaxing dinner. Thanks you guys!
  • Options
    edited December 2011

You've already made up your mind, but I agree with others on the restaurant. You could maybe compromise and find a more casual restaurant if you'd still like the relaxed element the picnic rehearsal would provide. Just an idea, but totally your call! I personally liked getting dressed up and having it at a restaurant- it just felt more special.

• Options
    pinksonyapinksonya member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We had a picnic dinner and the planning wasn't a big deal.  We even shopped for all of the food before the wedding.  But I'm weird I guess! 
  • Options
    LaFemmeRousseLaFemmeRousse member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My gut reaction is to agree with most everyone else and plan to do it at a restaurant so it's as "hands off" for you as possible.

Pittsburgh sig: Favorite thing about fall= college football!
    Vacation
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I like the restaurant idea as well. We had ours at a restaurant and we were able to simply show up, eat and mingle with guests, and leave without a worry. Totally stress-free :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    we did ours at our house- it was nice- but we didnt get the help that we thought we would...all my bridesmaids were hours late to help set up. i would go with the restaurant eventhough it is more money...
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    By any chance, is the restaurant in question The Kaufmann House?  Anyway, I think you should go with the restaurant.  Maybe you could have a picnic with just your wedding party prior, just to relax, go over a few things, and let everyone mingle.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'll chime in.  :)

We had our RD at a restaurant on Thursday and then a picnic on Friday for the 4th of July then the wedding on Saturday.

The RD was a breeze and so fun.  I was so stressed over the picnic, the crappy, miserable weather, getting people where they needed to be on Friday, ugh.  I would absolutely not recommend a picnic unless someone else is planning it and you are just showing up...and even then, that is what I tried for and it didn't work out.  I was still lugging lawn chairs and grills and ice instead of relaxing.  ;)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Happy Birthday, little man. We love you so much!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Search & Win
    My favorite money saving tip: I've earned more than $300 in gift cards (Amazon, Starbucks, Southwest!) using SwagBucks for internet searching - and you can too! It's FREE and EASY!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards