May 2012 Weddings

Ribbon Wands

I'm looking to buy them...where did you guys purchase...I found them on Etsy but they are 100 for 100...I would prefer not to spend 100.

Any recs?

Re: Ribbon Wands

• I posted below about needing ideas for post-ceremony things for the guests (I was thinking bubbles/birdseed etc.) and I got the idea for the wands, which I really like!

I am going to make them. Should be pretty inexpensive since its just ribbon, small dowels, and hot glue! If you have time to make them I'm sure it would cost 1/4 of what they charge on  Etsy!

imageimage
    Missing Our July Sparkler
    BFP-11/12/12, MMC 1/16/13-baby stopped growing @ 9wks, found out at 13wks, D&E 1/25/13 Anniversary]
  • Where can i buy the supplies? Do you have to cut the ribbon or is it pre cut?

• edited April 2012
    I think any craft store would sell the dowels that are about 12 inches and I'd buy a spool (or a few) of ribbon and just cut it yourself.

EDIT: here's a link for the dowels at AC Moore:
    http://www.acmoore.com/p-97618-craft-dowel-rods-value-pack-tube-50pkg.aspx
    imageimage
    Missing Our July Sparkler
    BFP-11/12/12, MMC 1/16/13-baby stopped growing @ 9wks, found out at 13wks, D&E 1/25/13 Anniversary]
  • Thank you :)

• you might be able to get wooden dowels from Home Depot or Lowes for cheaper than at the craft store.  You'll have to cut them to size yourself, but it's pretty easy.  Plus, the guys at HD/Lowes love helping out a pretty lady ;)  haha
  • I'm going to try to make them i'm super excited!

• We made ours and they're SUPER easy! I didn't even bother with the hot glue!

We spent about $10 on the dowels and maybe $20 on ribbon. We used 2 types of ribbon and each wand has 3 strands so you could definitely use less ribbon.

The most time consuming part is cutting the ribbon. I put mine together with my FMIL and FSIL and to took us an hour and a half to make 100.
    May '12 Nesties
    March Siggy Challenge: Furbaby
    MARRIED!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Yes, I made mine too, super easy! Cutting the ribbon was the most time consuming part, but much better than spending $100! 
  • I made mine as well! Super easy and maybe a total cost of $30.00 and the 2 hoursof time for 200+ wands. By far my easiest DIY yet! Way better than spending that much!
  • I second the visit to Lowe's or home depot... WAY chearper than the craft store and they have a much bigger selection size wise so you can get the one that feels sturdiest for the weight of whatever ribbon you chooose.

My FI got involved in this one... he got his big saw out and cut all the dowels for me. I think he just wanted to show he was manly and do something for me.  LOL I'll take it!
    Smile
    Anniversary
  • I'm so glad you posted this MsAmeera - I've been debating this project.

So... do I need tools to cut the dowels or will one of the muscular men at Lowes do it for me? :)
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards