May 2012 Weddings

NWR: E-Reader vs. Page Turner

I am a book nerd and have been for as long as I can remember. Lately, FI has been nagging me about the amount of books I have stacking up and it got me to thinking if I should look into getting an e-reader. How many of you ladies have one? Did it take you awhile to get used to one or was it an easy change?

I can get a kindle for relatively cheap (I don't need anything fancy since I have a laptop already) but I'm hesitant to get one! Just thought I'd see what you ladies prefer :) TIA!!!!
imageVisit The Nest!

Re: NWR: E-Reader vs. Page Turner

• I have a Kindle and I love it!  It doesn't take long at all to get used to, and ebooks are cheaper than regular books.  There are also some good word games, like Scrabble. 
  • I have a kobo touch. I love it. Didn't think I would but I like how you can get the books for cheaper and don't have the pile of books 'problem'. I would recommend it to anyone. No saying you can't still buy the occasional real book. But I've found it to be handy. I know lots of book nerds too that love them. Myself and my mom included!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I am an official book wh*re. I have STACKS of books all over. I have a wall of bookshelves in our extra bedroom, bookshelves in the living room and then random stacks throughout the house. To make it worse, I'm a teacher and have even more books in my classroom! I didn't think I would ever make the switch to an e-reader...I just love books way too much. However, my sister and brother bought me one for Christmas. I LOVE IT!!! FI's family has a lake house, and I used to bring a book for every day we were up there (not much to do...). Now, I just put them all on my kindle! 

The only thing I dislike is paying for "electronic" books. They are not always that cheap. But I check out e-books from the library, subscribe to freebie/cheap ebook newsletters, and ask for amazon gift cards whenever I have a chance. Aside from that, I love the kindle. I actually find myself annoyed when I have the hard copy of a book rather than the e-version...
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • I have a Kindle Fire, and I love it!! There are sooooo many free books to download that are really really good reads that you'd never heard of before. Plus the fact that it fits in my purse no matter how big the book is. Good luck!
    178 Are Invited
    image 126 Are ready to Par-tay!!image 52 Are party poopers.image 0 Can't find the mailbox.image
    RSVP Date April 14
    Photobucket
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • my siblings and i got our mom and stepdad each the kindle fire for Christmas.  they're not tech savvy (they don't even know how to send texts  haha) and they picked up on them surprisingly quickly.  my mom even figured out how to download games on hers.  they LOVE them! 

FI has the nook (the original) and he loves his as well, he takes it everywhere.  i don't have one, but i haven't really had a lot of time to read lately (wedding planning, anyone?) i think it would have been super handy the last time i was in the airport because i went to 5 different shops before i could find the second book in the hunger game series.  on the e-readers you can just downloaded it anywhere you have wi-fi (on most of them, i think).

plus, there's a lot more than books you can get too, i'd probably love it for the magazines.

• I LOVE my kindle.  Seriously one of the best presents I've ever got.  It was really easy to adjust to, and I definitely prefer it over books now.  I don't have them cluttering up my house, I don't have to decide what to do with them after I'm done with them, and it's much easier throwing my kindle in my bag than 1,000 page hardcover book (esp. when traveling).  Go for it!

I would agree to get the regular kindle (non-backlit) than the kindle fire (backlit).  Backlit screens aren't good for your eyes for reading, and you can't read them in sunlight like you can with non-backlit screens.
    photo trex2_zps7ab4e9b0.jpg
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • FI got me a kindle in 2010 for xmas, and in 2011, got me the kindle fire.  I love them both.  I think for straight reading purposes, the regular kindle is fine.  The non-backlit screen is awesome.

I like the Fire because it has more capabilities, and is color, so sometimes I do the free trial for magazines, etc, and it's pretty fun.

I also love reading and books, and was worried that I would miss holding the physical book in my hand, and turning the pages. 

It's really not a big deal.  Plus, the kindle/kindle fire is much easier to prop on the treadmill/elliptical and help me suffer through that cardio :)

Anniversary
  • I have a Kindle and I absolutely love it!! It wasn't hard to get used to at all! I love that the books are cheaper!! I highly recommend the kindle!! I don't have games on it cause I have an iPod touch and laptop and don't need to have games! But I love it for my books!!
    Anniversary image
  • I'm afraid of switching over to an E-reader also. While I'm techy, I love the satisfaction of turning the page, and smelling the paper and ink, getting the ink on your fingers...hah. I'm old school I suppose. But you guys do have some good arguments for the kindle (which my FI and I have been looking into) I guess I know what I want for my birthday, maybe, we'll see :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards