May 2012 Weddings
Options

Grahhh! Stupid bartender!

Ok, so my venue requires that you use this one company if you're serving alcohol. You can't use anyone else, because they each have insurance with each other or whatever. That's all fine and dandy, I completely understand about that.

Problem is, this company is greedy! The only bartending they do is with my venue, so I guess they decide to hike prices sky-high because we don't have any other option. So, it's $220 for each bartender for 6 hours. I kindly asked if I could hire them for just 4 hours, since I want the guests to sober up an hour before the reception ends. I was given a flat-out, rude, "No. You must buy the package, there are no negotiations." Fine, I guess we'll have the bar open while we're cleaning up, then!

If you're serving any type of liquor (anything besides beer and wine), you MUST hire an additional bartender. WHAT? I'm only having 60 drinking-age adults, and the drink will be pre-mixed! Is an extra bartender REALLY needed under those circumstances? Yeah, I'm gunna pay you $220 to sit on your ass all night. Sure.

Ok, and also, their gratuity is outrageous! This is from their contract: "Tip Jar will be present unless a $75 Gratuity per bartender has been prepaid." So I have 2 options, either look extremely tacky or pay a 30% tip. I should be able to determine whether or not s/he deserves a 30% tip, right?? What if s/he scowls all night and treats my guests with less-than-enthusiastic service? WHY should I give him/her 30% if s/he's a jerk? But noooo this has to be pre-paid; I can't determine the quality of service for the quantity of gratuity.

So now, I can only have beer and wine at my reception. Most will say, At least that'll save on costs! But with a mandatory $75 gratuity...That's how much I was going to spend on my signature drink. Oh yay, I'm saving $30 on my original expected cost of a tip.

And I emailed my photographer last week about doing e-pics and I haven''t heard back! VENDORS!!!!!!

How much are you spending on a bartender? I know I'll get a lot of "I'm not spending a dime, since my buddy's a bartender", but I'd like to see if anyone else thinks this is nuts.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards