May 2012 Weddings
Options

Memorial Day Weekend Brides

Hi everyone, still trying to figure out my wedding dates. But we are thinking either 5/27 or 9/2 (Labor Day Weekend)

Anyone else doing a Memorial Day Weekend wedding? How have your outcomes been with possibly guests not coming or actually liking this idea?

Thanks! Hope to pick a date soon

Re: Memorial Day Weekend Brides

• Options
    Memorial Day can be an ideal time for a couple to get married. The weather is usually nice and they can plan a weekend-long celebration without worrying about people needing to take off from work.

You can plan wedding activities all weekend long for a Memorial Day wedding. For example, you can host a cookout, organize a beach party or book a block of rooms at a beach resort.
  • Options
    HI!

My fiance and I are looking at 5/26 or 5/27.  We want to be able to have as many guests as possible and since it's 2 years before the big day, it'll give EVERYONE enough time to plan, not to mention save!

If we have the wedding on Saturday (26th) then our guests can relax and go site seeing (NJ beaches, etc) the rest of the weekend.  Plus, on Memorial day,  I'd love to have a mid morning/early afternoon bbq for those out of towners, before they head back! 

I haven't done much in the terms of planning, but since it's so far out, we have time.  I've gotten little done. I've picked possible colors and a possible location or two. 

I'm excited. :)
    michelle & pat

min kaerlighed = my love in Danish

• Options
    We're doing Memorial Day weekend! I think it's a great time. And my best friend is getting married Labor Day weekend this year. She's opting for even cheaper-Sunday lunch reception and it's saving her TONS of money! Good luck deciding!Laughing
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Were getting marrie 5/25, this has been our day since 2004 so we wanted to keep the same date.

So far we have received a pretty good feedback from our families and friends that we know are invited. No one so far has complained about it being on the weekend especially since its friday night, so if they want to go down the shore the rest of the weekend they still have a couple of days to go and relax.

I'm figuring if people are going to complain about losing a day at the beach, then they don't really deserve to attend the wedding.
  • Options
    We are now officially booked for the 26th of May, 2012.

People haven't said anything either in terms of being Memorial Day weekend, but our wedding is destination, and the location will be a fun place to be anyway near the beach.

It's a win-win.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    etdejaetdeja member
    First Comment
    I have already booked my ceremony and reception site for May 26, 2012 and pretty much everyone that I have told and talked to is excited to have the extra day to recover from our wedding. Though my wedding isn't exactly destination (Williamsburg, VA) almost everyone invited is going to have to travel some distance and they are happy to also have that extra day to get back home. 
  • Options
    we are planning 5/26 and onle have a few people coming in from out of town. everyone seems to like that it is a long weekend so they can visit with family longer. Also, I have been to holiday weekend weddings and they are a blast everyone seems to stay longer, party harder, and enjoy the whole event even more!
  • Options
    We're booked for May 29th, 2011. This gave us a chance to have a slightly cheaper wedding (on a Sunday!), but still be able to have a late evening reception without the worry of work the next day. This will give us a whole day before to prepare and do bridal party things and rehearsal dinners. In addition, I think we'll do a brunch that Monday before people head back home. 

I haven't heard too many complaints, and echoing what's been said above: if they're not willing to skip a camping trip or day at the beach, then they're not worth you spending money on them at your wedding!

(Plus, a Memorial Day weekend wedding means your anniversary will always be near a 3-day weekend! Great for quick getaways and day trips!)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker White Knot Check out my blog musings at: www.geekyhostess.com
  • Options

I  am also planning for memorial weekend 2012..I LOOOOVE the idea  from "geekyhostes" that the anniversary is on a 3 day weekend EVERY YEAR!!!!!

• Options
    I'm planning my wedding for Sunday, May 27th.  I opted fo Sunday just to help out the budget a little bit.  So far no one have voiced any concerns about having the wedding over the holiday. 
  • Options
    We finally booked May 27, 2012.  We saved a lot of money and not one person complained about it being on that weekend.  Even family that will be traveling from all over the country and world.  I was unsure at first, but I am really happy with the choice and everyone has been so supportive.  It definately is a money saver because you get the sunday prices and still have the experience of a saturday night.  Plus we are doing it on the jersey shore, so everyone vacations there anyway that weekend.  So I highly recommend it.  :o)
  • Options
    Were having ours on 5/27 on Long island. Everyone LOVES!!!! the idea. It gives them the chance to come either friday, saturday, or sunday morning and they can leave whatever time they would like to on monday or take tuesday off and travel on tuesday. Nobody has to take off work because people already have the weekend/monday off and it makes for a day they would normally travel anyway.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards