May 2012 Weddings
Options

NWR: General Thank You Note Question

I have a general question regarding thank you notes.  So, obviously, I'm writing thank you notes for all the wedding and shower gifts FI and I receive.  I also write thank you notes for all Christmas presents I receive, etc.  However, this post is about more general thank you note etiquette.

FI comes from a very giving family.  His mom is constantly sending us things for Easter, Valentine's day, our birthdays, etc. I don't think FI has ever written a thank you note in his life.  Which is not a big deal to me - it's just how his family operates.  Up until now, I've been writing thank you notes for virtually every gift received.  Today, as it is my birthday, I received a $50.00 visa gift card from his parents.  I got to thinking that if my parents did this, I would simply give them a phone call and say, "Hey Mom & Dad! Thanks for the awesome gift!! I can't wait to put this in savings/buy new clothes/etc."  I'm sure Emily Post would frown upon this, but at what point do you think thank you notes (such as 5+ a year) get ridiculous?  Should I still be writing thank yous to them for every gift received or would a simple call suffice?  Just curious to how things work in your families.  I would totally post this on the etiquette board, but I don't want to be torn into a million pieces.
Anniversary

Re: NWR: General Thank You Note Question

• Options
    My mom sends us stuff for all holidays too.  I just call her and tell her thank you!  I would follow FIs lead.  If his Mom never had him write her thank you notes, she probably doesn't expect it and you are fine just calling.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards