May 2012 Weddings
Options

Fun Old Wives Tale: Wedding+Babies*Your Wedding Superstitions?

I'm personally am not a big baby/kid person, but I met with my florist the other day and she asked me if I was going to sew a button from my mom's dress into the hem of mine. I told her that I hadn't considered it and "why". She said that it's an old wives tale that if you do, then your first child (or one for every button) will be a girl.

I'm not really one for superstitions, but I thought this one sounded fun! Has anyone else heard this or something like it? Anyone "swear by it" ? Anyone have any of their own families' wedding superstitions?
Anniversary

Re: Fun Old Wives Tale: Wedding+Babies*Your Wedding Superstitions?

• Options
    I have never heard this! FI & I have a baby boy, but I would love nothing more than to have a little girl next :) I think I need to give tihs a shot! LOL
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I have never heard that one before!  Very interesting.  I don't think my family is very superstitious...at least I'm not.  I'll be seeing the groom before the ceremony for first look photos. ;)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_may-2012-weddings_fun-old-wives-tale-weddingbabiesyour-wedding-superstitions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:f0ca0bc1-9255-4120-8042-b40e7f3e99c5Discussion:9e5ac987-158c-4411-b019-e4a4f6638917Post:778b85e4-8e1b-4c96-afe8-eced6619d7d0">Re: Fun Old Wives Tale: Wedding+Babies*Your Wedding Superstitions?</a>:
    [QUOTE]  I'll be seeing the groom before the ceremony for first look photos. ;)
    Posted by gpapale1[/QUOTE]

Me too. We decided to stay in our honeymoon hotel suite 2 nights, and "get away" before the 'big day'. The bridal party will be getting ready in it the next day anyways...so it works for us. He won't see me in my dress though until I'm all put together for prewedding photos.  :) 
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I've never heard of that superstition but think it's SUPER cute! I might just do it so I have something from My Mom/parent's wedding day with me.

One wedding/baby superstition I've seen is *supposedly* every ribbon/bow you break opening your presents at your shower equals a baby (so if you break 20 ribbons you'll have 20 kids). I've seen some Aunts/Moms/etc. try to make it really difficult to open their shower gifts without breaking the ribbon. It's kind of funny!
    May '12 Nesties
    March Siggy Challenge: Furbaby
    MARRIED!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_may-2012-weddings_fun-old-wives-tale-weddingbabiesyour-wedding-superstitions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:f0ca0bc1-9255-4120-8042-b40e7f3e99c5Discussion:9e5ac987-158c-4411-b019-e4a4f6638917Post:fe730372-5007-4724-9d14-f35c76d4236c">Re: Fun Old Wives Tale: Wedding+Babies*Your Wedding Superstitions?</a>:
    [QUOTE] One wedding/baby superstition I've seen is *supposedly* every ribbon/bow you break opening your presents at your shower equals a baby (so if you break 20 ribbons you'll have 20 kids). Posted by bpphoto785[/QUOTE]

yikes! I'll be sure not to break them...thanks for the heads up! lol.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I've also heard the ribbon/bows one. FI and I really want to have kids but due to medical issues we have a smaller chance of actually having our own. I plan on tearing EVERY bow off my presents!
  • Options
    A friends wedding all the Bms signed her shoes...whoever name stay on the best was to be married next...my name did t win and I'm getting married next . Ha but it was fun and made great pictures!
  • Options
    Never heard of this but it seems like a neat idea to incorporate part of your mother's dress into yours. I am not much for superstitions but maybe...
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I've also heard the bow/ribbon one. I'll be carefully opening mine!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards