May 2012 Weddings
Options

Had my shower on Sunday and...

my FMIL gave us Anchor glasses... from 1985... that she got as a gift with purchase... BACK IN 1985. My FI recognized the glasses from when he was a kid. Really lady? You're not paying for a single thing for this wedding and you can't even spend $10 on something?? Not that I'm being selfish about wanting stuff, but really?! REALLY?

Re: Had my shower on Sunday and...

• Options

That is so insane and not selfish on your part. I would prefer she get me a nice card and nothing else. To give you  something that she has had laying around since 1985 is insulting.

• Options
    wow, that's hilarious.  she's been waiting a LONG time to regift those things!  hahaha
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Seriously, some people have zero tact.  One of my BM lives in TX and she understandably couldn't make it for my shower.  Not only did she not chip in to throw it as the other BMs did, but she didn't get me a gift, send me a card, or even call to say sorry I can't make it I hope it was lovely.  I feel your pain!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I wonder if she feels like its sentimental giving you something that FI would remember from his childhood? Still kind of tacky, but maybe treat it as if she did mean it that way to avoid drama with future inlaws (whether or not its true)?

May 2012 July Siggy: Favorite Vacation Spot Kaleden, BC
    July Fave Vacation Spot photo IMG_0268-1.jpg

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    My Blog:Through My Eyes

• Options
    Wow you think she be more generous to her son. Lol
  • Options
    Oh man. I have no words. Other than cheap.
  • Options
    oye vei...i dont get some people...although my cousin gave my FSIL a dollar store frame for her engagement and i am pretty sure bought me a pizza cutter. people are weird.
  • Options
    It had nothing to do with her being sentimental. He didn't even remember that till i broght the gift home, saw it and said "I remember when they got that as a freebie".

I'm surprised she wasn't embarassed by that. You guys should see the box. It's beyond ridiculous lol
  • Options
    I know it's nice to be showered with nice gifts at our showers, but money is tricky, especially in this economy... I wouldn't judge people for "cheap gifts."

When it came time for one of my BM's (I am also a BM in her wedding) shower which was months earlier than it was originally, I had no money to contribute to her shower, and the gift I gave her was something off of her registry, but it was rather small and inexpensive, but it was all I had. I try not to beat myself up about it because she is one of my best friends, she knows I am unemployed and I know she cared more about me being there and being her friend than how much I contributed to her party or how much I spent on her gift.
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_may-2012-weddings_had-my-shower-on-sunday-and?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:f0ca0bc1-9255-4120-8042-b40e7f3e99c5Discussion:b15ff828-0ee0-426b-838e-09d44c0b3348Post:b23d23bb-f276-4cc3-941e-844aa69cfcb5">Re: Had my shower on Sunday and...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I know it's nice to be showered with nice gifts at our showers, but money is tricky, especially in this economy... I wouldn't judge people for "cheap gifts." When it came time for one of my BM's (I am also a BM in her wedding) shower which was months earlier than it was originally, I had no money to contribute to her shower, and the gift I gave her was something off of her registry, but it was rather small and inexpensive, but it was all I had. I try not to beat myself up about it because she is one of my best friends, she knows I am unemployed and I know she cared more about me being there and being her friend than how much I contributed to her party or how much I spent on her gift.
    Posted by mandi921vh[/QUOTE]

It's not about spending money, it's the fact that she took no time to even think of something and she's been doing everything she can to not spend a single dime on this. A card would of been better than something sitting in her attic from 1985 she didn't want anymore. This was beyond cheap. She has been complaining about all of our registry items because she doesn't feel that we need the nice things.
  • Options

Don’t be frustrated, just laugh it off.  She either is very tacky (which it sounds like), or she has some sentimental attachment to them and thought you would like them. 

It would make me laugh too.  My FMIL gave me a garter…with a giant cross on it.  And I’m Jewish.  Sometimes people just assume you will love the same things they do. 

Be careful how you complain about it though, especially to your FI.  Afterall, its still his mom. 

• Options
    Oh, I didn't have to complain about it. He thinks his mom is a complete tool and was saying way more than I was. lol
  • Options
    I am sorry that it happened to you, but that is hilarious!! I agree, a card would have been better!
  • Options
    Vintage....lol
    photo trex2_zps7ab4e9b0.jpg
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards