Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh

Newly Engaged/Lurking? Tell us about yourself!

With the holiday season over, I'm guessing there are some newly engaged ladies out there just starting to plan your wedding.  Come on in and tell us about yourself!

Your name & FI name
Wedding date
Wedding location
What state are you from/ live at
Occupation
How did you/FI propose?
What are you most excited about planning?
What are you least excited about planning?

Re: Newly Engaged/Lurking? Tell us about yourself!

• My name is Christina and my fiance's name is Steven.  We got engaged on 12/30 and are hoping for a Fall 2012 wedding.  We live in West Deer outside of Pittsburgh.  Our ceremony is going to be at St. Joe's Catholic Church in O'Hara.  We are hoping for a unique reception that is also inexpensive.  Any help on that front would be much appreciated. 
  • cs026acs026a member
    First Comment
    edited January 2012
    Hi there!

We got engaged December 7, 2011 -- have been lurking around for a while indeed!

We're planning an April 7, 2012 wedding..which is only 93 days away!! Eikkk!!

Our wedding will be very small, so we aren't having too much trouble throwing it all together. We have our venue, photographer (almost finalized), minister, music, reception, and recently found my dress :) So, now my biggest stressor is getting my dress in on time (it is supposed to be here by the end of this month!). I think our total guest count is currently at 12, and we don't anticipate it going past 15.

I'm currently looking for hair/make-up suggestions and reviews in the Moon Township area (or further towards Beaver County even).

Also, if these details sound familiar, I had to make a new account as I couldn't get access to my last (apparently I misentered a password and was unable to retrieve it). I had only posted once under the old name, anyhow.

Hope everyone elses planning is going well!

funny gifs Anniversary
    FF
  • Hi! I'm Noelle, and my fiance is Jason. We have been engaged since 1 Jan 2012. He proposed to me while we sat on the couch in our pajamas, using his great grandmother's ring. I'm originally from New Jersey (have been here a little over a year) and he's from Ohio originally (he's lived here over two years). We are both here in Pittsburgh now.

We're planning for sometime around March of 2013, though we're waiting to set the exact date until we find a location. We are both in our mid-30's (even though we don't usually act it) and want something interesting (on a budget). 

We've got tons of ideas on what we want to do, but not being as familiar with the area, the biggest stress right now is figuring out where to have it. We don't want a banquet hall or ballroom. I love Riverview Park, but all of their shelters are seasonal. We can't afford this Autumn, and don't want to wait until the end of 2013, so that's a bit of a challenge. I'm also stressing a bit on the dress, but I'm going to wait until my Mom comes to visit in May before really worrying about it.

The best part is that the two of us are so much alike, that we have clicked really well on exactly what we want together. That, and he is actually excited about planning with me.

From browsing the site, I've come up with several ideas already. I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone.
  • Hi!  I'm Rosemary and my fiance is Mark.  We have been engaged since October  16, 2011 and I have been lurking ever since!  We are planning on having a relatively small ceremony/reception (approx. 70) and are planning for a Friday in April 2013.  We have not picked a reception location (though we have looked at a few) but will be getting married in St. Maragarets of Scotland  in Green Tree.  Any suggestions/advice is more than welcome!!  Congrats to everyone else and happy planning!
  • Hi! My name is Megan and my fiance's name is Eric. He proposed on Dec 22 and I have definitely been lurking around since then. We are up in Erie where I am going to med school but will be getting married in Pittsburgh since that is where he is from (really Cranberry). 

We've looked at about 6 reception places and are going down to Pitt tomorrow to look at more places. We're kinda all over the place with the venue- anything from the Heinz History Museum to the aquarium to the Doubletree downtown. We're looking for a place to have the ceremony as well- nonchurch, if anyone has suggestions!

We are planning on getting married in July 2013, so we have a while to plan but I want to get the venue figured out as soon as possible!

Thanks to all the help and congrats everyone!
  • Hello fellow planners!  My name is Lindsey and my fiance's name is Andrew. Right before Christmas we traveled to Amsterdam and Switzerland for his sisters wedding.  On Dec. 16th, after a fondue dinner in Zurich, he proposed to me on a beautiful cobblestone street (decorated in amazing Christmas lights).  Then we were off the the Alps for a week of skiing and amazing snow.

We are planning to get married in May 2013 in Pittsburgh.  We live in Breckenridge, CO but the altitude is very hard on our family, so I'm coming home to the burgh.

We are looking at the Pittsburgh Field Club (my parents club) and the Pittsburgh Golf Club - We are flying to Pittsburgh at the end of the month to look at our options.

We love the outdoors and we never expected to get married at a country club.  Any suggestions on rustic decor, or anything "non stuffy" welcomed. 

We are going to be married by my fiances brother - PA laws are very strict, so we might have to get married officially in a CO courthouse before the actual wedding.  

We want a killer band that will have all age groups on their feet dancing.  

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Welcome!  We hope you all post often.

For some venue and vendor recommendations from former knotties, you can visit:
    http://sites.google.com/site/pghknotties/vendors

Feel free to also post any questions you have! And using the search button at the bottom of the page (and typing things like rustic venue, etc.) could lead to helpful old posts.

Heather - I had a long engagement and it goes by really quickly.  It was one of the better wedding decisions I made

Linds - tons of rustic decor on etsy, and there's plenty of rustic venues in the area (I answered your old post with suggestions)

stina - if you post a new post with your budget/# of guests/venue wants, people will offer suggestions.

• Your name & FI name- Heather & Chris
    Wedding date October 13th 2012
    Wedding location Holy Trinity Serbian Orthodox Church/ Crowne Plaza
    What state are you from/ live at PA
    Occupation I do marketing
    How did you/FI propose? He put the ring in a box of Sarris chocolates 6 days before Christmas 2010
    What are you most excited about planning? DIY projects
    What are you least excited about planning?2 things. 1. The guest list. My FMIL wants to invite anyone who has ever looked at my fiance. and 2. The bridesmaids dresses, I am a thrifty person and I really don't want my girls to spend a lot on a dress they will only wear once.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm guilty of being a lurker.

Your name & FI name:
    Kelly and Brad
    Wedding date: Summer 2013 or 2014- still very much TBA
    Wedding location: Pittsburgh
    What state are you from/ live at: PA
    How did you/FI propose?: New Year's
    What are you most excited about planning?: Um, I'm not really sure I'm going to like the whole wedding planning thing, no joke.  People think I'm kidding when I say I don't really want a big wedding and would rather do a pig roast reception.  Unfortunately I'll be doing more for the sake of my hunny and the family
    What are you least excited about planning?:
    All of the details!

We're definitely not a traditional type of couple- been together 10yrs already.  I think reception venue/food are going to be the hardest part.  My FI is an excellent cook and has extremely high standards for food.  We'd really prefer to outside hire the chefs/cooks to do exactly what we want but finding a venue that will allow us to bring in our own cookstaff/setup and booze I'm afraid is going to be quite the challenge.  Consider us budget minded- I have a very hard time justifying the high price tags PP for food and beverage.
  • Hey girls,

IMy name is Amanda and my fiance is Eric. We are getting married June 29, 2013 in Pittsburgh- St. Thomas More for both ceremony and reception. I am from the suburbs of Pgh and my fiance is from West Virginia (where we do currently live). I just graduated with a MA in Education and trying to find a job!! He proposed the night that I graduated- I was in PJ's and he was still wearing his nice suit. The ring is a vintage Tiffany sapphire and diamond ring-belonged to his grandmother. I am most excited about figuring out my centerpieces, which is quite stressful. I am a huge fan of Etsy and have found some awesome ideas. I am least excited about planning a wedding from afar (thank God for my mother) 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards