May 2012 Weddings
Options

Pinterest liability

Has anyone seen this article?  It's pretty long, but in a nutshell explains that by accepting Pinterest's TOS, you accept all risks/liability for potential copyright infringement.  Parallels to individuals being sued back in the day for downloading music on Napster.  Do you think it's time to delete our Pinterest boards, or think this is an over reaction?

http://ddkportraits.com/2012/02/why-i-tearfully-deleted-my-pinterest-inspiration-boards/
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Pinterest liability

• Options
    Yikes, I haven't seen this. I would think the liability should be on whoever posted the picture originally, but then again when we relate it to the downloading music thing, I can kind of understand it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Like I heard about it the other day. And I'm not sure what I believe. Honestly I would think if it was real then when news stations started airing all these stories on it a few months ago it would have been mentioned. I'm not too worried about it right now I would wait until I actually hear more about it.
  • Options
    I saw this the other day, too. I think it's slightly ridiculous. I follow some bloggers on Twitter that are always in fits because people have posted their photos/ entries to Pinterest. I feel like if there is ANYTHING you don't want EVERYONE to have access to, don't post it on the freaking internet. I assume that anything I put on the web could be looked at and used by anyone, and that that is just the risk I have to accept.

If people think their photos/ ideas are that precious, keep it offline.

/vent
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_may-2012-weddings_pinterest-liability?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:f0ca0bc1-9255-4120-8042-b40e7f3e99c5Discussion:cf0406bb-09d6-4f76-8a5e-7aca00829504Post:a2267f00-d4c0-494c-bdfa-4da2beff0344">Re: Pinterest liability</a>:
    [QUOTE]I saw this the other day, too. I think it's slightly ridiculous. I follow some bloggers on Twitter that are always in fits because people have posted their photos/ entries to Pinterest.<strong> I feel like if there is ANYTHING you don't want EVERYONE to have access to, don't post it on the freaking internet. </strong>I assume that anything I put on the web could be looked at and used by anyone, and that that is just the risk I have to accept. If people think their photos/ ideas are that precious, keep it offline. /vent
    Posted by amandad18[/QUOTE]

Amen! :)
  • Options

I don’t care. 

We aren’t publishing it to “sell or profit” from it.  Its just a reminder that we might want to buy it later…or in some cases just drool over it.  Like tearing out a page from a magazine and pinning it on a bulletin board.  No harm done.

Someone somewhere is always trying to get someone else in a tizzy.  I say, ignore!

• Options
    I'm with you guys that this all seems a little ridiculous.  At the same time, as a user/consumer, I'm not sure how I feel about a company that would create a service that basically encourages copyright infringement (they state you should not be self-promoting/pinning your own things!) but then they protect themselves by holding users 100% accountable.  I don't think I'll be deleting my boards anytime soon, but it will be interesting to see what happens in the future...especially if/when Pinterest decide to add advertising/ start generating revenue...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I don't really understand the difference between Pinterest & just simply looking at pictures online? It's just like seeing a picture on the internet & saving it onto our computer. NBD to me.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_may-2012-weddings_pinterest-liability?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:f0ca0bc1-9255-4120-8042-b40e7f3e99c5Discussion:cf0406bb-09d6-4f76-8a5e-7aca00829504Post:9f564beb-9e55-4015-a1a7-5e0ba9d440b9">Re: Pinterest liability</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm with you guys that this all seems a little ridiculous.  At the same time, as a user/consumer, I'm not sure how I feel about a company that would create a service that basically encourages copyright infringement (they state you should not be self-promoting/pinning your own things!) but then they protect themselves by holding users 100% accountable.  I don't think I'll be deleting my boards anytime soon, but it will be interesting to see what happens in the future...especially<strong> if/when Pinterest decide to add advertising/ start generating revenue...</strong>
    Posted by csgman[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>They already are. FI is in advertising and they've pitched a few ideas to different companies involving Pinterest (pinnable coupons, etc.), and Pinterest is encouraging this kind of partnering- So it's coming. And they're already generating revenue. I'm not sure about all the details, but FI used Target as an example- When a Target item is pinned, and a user goes to the Target site from Pinterest, Pinterest is getting a kick back from Target.

</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_may-2012-weddings_pinterest-liability?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:f0ca0bc1-9255-4120-8042-b40e7f3e99c5Discussion:cf0406bb-09d6-4f76-8a5e-7aca00829504Post:1fcd7117-90c4-47ea-a65f-eca3184645a3">Re: Pinterest liability</a>:
    [QUOTE] <strong>When a Target item is pinned, and a user goes to the Target site from Pinterest, Pinterest is getting a kick back from Target.</strong>
    Posted by amandad18[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>this is why pinterest is a multi millon dollar company already, all those kick backs. It's amazing how much they have made just in advertising. Lots of behind the scenes stuff going on.</div><div>
    </div><div>I will keep pinning. The only thing I am doing different is the way I brand my photography photos because I do have a lot of boudoir images floating around.

</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_may-2012-weddings_pinterest-liability?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:f0ca0bc1-9255-4120-8042-b40e7f3e99c5Discussion:cf0406bb-09d6-4f76-8a5e-7aca00829504Post:a52662c5-437c-41cc-aeb5-37819d8c1483">Re: Pinterest liability</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pinterest liability : this is why pinterest is a multi millon dollar company already, all those kick backs. It's amazing how much they have made just in advertising. Lots of behind the scenes stuff going on.<strong> I will keep pinning.</strong> The only thing I am doing different is the way I brand my photography photos because I do have a lot of boudoir images floating around.
    Posted by leahstinson[/QUOTE]

<div>I can't stop pinning :)</div>
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards