May 2012 Weddings
Options

Food/Snacking Help

For all the girls out there who are trying to control what they eat...

I'm a very active person. I run and work-out a decent amount. However, I have a HUGE snacking problem!!! I get home from work pretty early in the evening, and have about an hour to an hour and a half until FI gets home (we live together). In that hour, I swear, I totally BINGE!!! I try to control myself, but sometimes I go nuts! I have this weird thing with people seeing me snacking, so I rarely snack in front of FI (don't get me wrong, we eat in front of each other). I just don't like him (or anyone) to see how much I can consume in one sitting. I try to tell myself that I'll go for a run as soon as I get home, but I convince myself to stay home and do grad school homework or grade papers...which I will kind of do, but not without stuffing my face.

I'd love to hear if any one else lacks will power as much as I do...Mostly, I'd love to hear how you go about avoiding your cravings. I'm so hard on myself, and I make myself so unhappy when I do this. But I can't stop! 

Thanks for listening!
imageWedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Food/Snacking Help

• Options
    I feel your pain! I have a problem with late night snacking! I've been trying to make myself some tea instead of a snack, so I can stay busy with that for a while instead if crackers, chips, etc... It's been helping a lot! Don't know if you'e a tea drinker, but I thought I'd share :) Good luck!
  • Options
    I work from home and have a HUGE snacking problem. The #1 thing I did to cut it out was simply to stop buying snacks. The only thing I get to snack on now are those 100 calorie snack packs- I can never justify eating more than 1 prepackaged snack. I also get fruit and Greek yogurt- If I want to snack, and neither of those sound good, then I figure I'm not really that hungry and don't need anything.

Also try drinking a glass of water instead of going for a snack- A lot of the time you will feel snacky when you're actually thirsty.
  • Options
    I have this problem, too! It's OK to have one healthy snack or even a bad one in moderation, but it's like once I have one then I keep on going!

I second the recommendation of drinking a glass of water. This is something I am trying to do, as well. It helps to fill you up and a lot of the time it is really that you are thirsty.

When I snack, I like to have "munchies." So, potato chips, popcorn. Something that has that repetitve hand-to-mouth motion. A trick I have tried lately is cuting up an apple into small pieces. This way I am getting that hand-to-mouth motion, but it's healthy. Usually, I'm full by the time I get to the apple!

I hope this helps!

• Options
    yea, I also have this problem!! I also work from home a lot, so that's a bigggg problem.

One thing that's worked for me is the water trick. I also like fizzy water cause it feels like a treat. I get the mandarin orange flavor. 

I also keep lots of carrots and apples around. That way the snacking turns into healthy fiber. I also like nuts (UNSALTED...avoid the bloat!) and the occasional dried fruit. (but only as a treat). and greek yogurt (lots of protein). 
    imageAnniversary
  • Options
    If you are working out a lot and still are so hungry that you binge when you get home, maybe you aren't eating enough during the day. You should definitely make sure you eat something for breakfast and a decent lunch. I try to eat regularly since I can start to crash if I am feeling hungry (I also work out quite a bit).  For a snack, what about fat free popcorn - maybe in the snack size - that might satisfy your cravings. Other healthy snacks like apples, hard boiled eggs, clementines or even 1 slice of whole wheat toast with a bit of peanut butter are all great options.
  • Options
    I also heard that eatting nuts (cashews, peanuts). They can help curb your hunger a bit and they are high in protein so you will fill fuller longer. Also, I was always told if you have any type of carb have some kind of protein along with in. Your body need the protein. I try to eat the laughing cow cheese wedges with pretzels, carrots, or pita chips. They taste great and are healthy. See what you can combine with things to make them a little healthier. Also, don't completely right off sweeter or treats. Maybe that is why you are binging since your body is having such and extreme want for those types of foods. Try to limit yourself. Instead of taking the entire bag put some in a bowl and put the bag away. Out of sigh out of mind. Good luck. 
    Anniversary
  • Options
    It's ok to snack! I snack all of the time. It all depends on what you snack on, and if you plan to burn those calories the next day..

When I run, I eat later the night before...around 9...since I don't eat before runs..to have enough carbs to get me through..

When I snack in general I try to have a balance of fat/carbs/protein...so if I have a nectarine, I have a piece of a protein bar..if I have sweets...I have a piece of lunchmeat before...or greek yogurt...sounds silly but if you balance out the sugars/carbs with a protein their digest better (I live with a diabetic and have tons in my family and this balances out their blood sugars too)

HTH! :)
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    The one thing that was helping me before I completely fell off the wagon this last weekend (currently trying to jump back on) is to have snacks pre-portioned out. That way you can grab and feel satisfied since you ate the whole thing of something. =o) Prep and plan! ...something I'm still working on but it does help! =o) I'm a huge cereal and chocolate snacker
  • Options
    I too have a HUGE snacking problem. I sit at a desk all day at work ( which is why I'm on TK all day). While sitting at my desk I feel like I should be eating something because I get bored when the phones are quiet. So I bring snacks and put in my desk. I then will eat them all day long. I hate it and know I shouldn't so I try to bring healthy snacks so at least it's better for me.
  • Options
    I have a huge snacking problem, but I have found that drinking a large glass of water instead of snacking can help. Aslo not buying a lot snacks to snack on.
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I snack all the time!  But the majority of my snacks are at work.  I think its fine to snack and a lot of people recommend 5 meals a day.  I would continue to snack, I would just portion out healthy snack ahead of time so you don't end up grabbing what ever sounds good or eat multiple portions.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I agree with drinking water. Your body can confuse it's I'm hungry and I'm thirsty signals.

It also helps me if I pre-portion my snacks, it makes it more difficult to eat the whole bag if I give myself a serving and go sit in another room to eat it.

I also allow myself as much fruits and veggies as I want. So if I've eaten and I'm still hungry I'll have baby carrots, an apple whatever.

May '12 Nesties
    March Siggy Challenge: Furbaby
    MARRIED!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I have this problem too... I try to drink water instead, or start chewing gum right before I walk into my house, so I'm less tempted to spit it out and start snacking because it's a fresh piece of gum and would be a waste!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards