May 2012 Weddings
Options

When to do alteration?

I just called a seamstress to take my wedding dress in...i told her, my wedding is on May 26th, so she told me to bring in the dress next friday... i'm just wondering: isnt that not too early? That's still like 2.5 months away from the wedding day... just wondering? When are you doing your dress alteration?
Anniversary Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: When to do alteration?

• Options
    I got mine altered, and picked it up last week. You have to know your body well, if you're going to do it early. I've been the same weight and size since high school, so I know nothing is really changing.
  • Options
    I had my first fitting the first weekend in Feb.  It was early, but it was also the weekend my mom was in town, and I wanted her to come.  My second fitting is in a couple of weeks, and then my final fitting will probably be mid-April. 

I think it depends how many fittings you will have, and where you take it.  But in general, I'd trust the seamstress.  :)
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I've also had one fitting and my next is April 14th, a month before the wedding.
    Although, my dress is 3 hours away in my hometown so my schedule might be a little different than most.
    If you're weight doesn't change much there's no harm in having one now and another closer to the date.
    May '12 Nesties
    March Siggy Challenge: Furbaby
    MARRIED!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Typically you'll need to do more than one fitting, so now is definitely the time to start.  My wedding is May 4th, and I started my fittings in early Feb.  My second fitting is this upcoming Thursday....just to give you a sense of my timeline for fittings.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    My wedding is May 26th, and I'm planning to wait until late March. My dress has a zipper, so there's not a lot of room for error. My weight doesn't really fluctuate, but I've been trying to tone a few places.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Mine are already done. I had to have some extra taken in around the top my boobs are not near big enough for what the designer thought they should be. And then I needed it hemmed on the bottom and the bustle and that's it. It fit like a glove everywhere else before alterations anyway.
  • Options
    My wedding date is May 5 and I am going for alterations on March 31. 
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    What PPs said.  I did mine early because I haven't changed size since high school, and I have a corset back so even if I did there is a lot of wiggle room because I could lace it looser or tighter depending on what I needed.
    photo trex2_zps7ab4e9b0.jpg
  • Options
    Depends on what alterations you want, what your dress is like, and your seamstress. Some take longer to work, some want to know what they are doing by seeing the dress on you so that they can get an idea of what you need, so they can tell you WHEN to bring it back in, some dresses might take longer, and some specific alterations might take longer and/or there may be a backup of dresses of weddings before yours needing to be done. I would definatly go in and see and ask all the questions you have to the seamstress. I had my fitting on wednesday, and she said as long as I dont lose or gain more then a couple lbs in the next 2 months, I dont have to come back until I pick it up, and I plan on toning but not losing weight (have been the same weight for over a year and am not trying to lose anymore - just tone specific areas.) But I can call back if for some reason it flutuates a lot anytime in the next month she said and theres only a 15$ charge to change the alterations then.

May 2012 July Siggy: Favorite Vacation Spot Kaleden, BC
    July Fave Vacation Spot photo IMG_0268-1.jpg

My Blog:Through My Eyes

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards