Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh

Twentieth Century Club - ideas?

Hi all. I am getting married in September 2011 at the Twentieth Centiry Club (Pittsburgh). This is my first time posting on the Knot, so I hope I'm posting somewhere where someone can help me! 
Has anyone had their ceremony and/or reception here? I plan to have everything at the club and am  looking for ideas on whether to have dinner in the dining room or in the ballroom. We plan to have around 200 people. The downfall of having dinner in the dining room is that we would have to move to the ballroom for dancing - that would be a lot of moving around from the ceremony to the dining hall to the ballroom. Not sure if we could get everybody herded in a timely manner.
Anyways, if any past, present, or future brides have any ideas for me, I would apprecate some feedback.
-the lazy bride

Re: Twentieth Century Club - ideas?

• cgyvhucgyvhu member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi and welcome! Lots of girls on here have had and are having their reception at 20th century club.  Carlyanne and jlbaxter are two upcoming brides having receptions there, and AP910 just got married there last fall.  I'm sure they will come and give you great advice!

My only recommendation is to google to find pictures of past weddings there for ideas on how they did it... I know joanne bartone and joanna fassinger have shot weddings there.

Good luck! 
  • edited December 2011
    Hi Meg and welcome to the board!  Great month and location;)  What day is your wedding?  Mine is 9/24. I'm not sure how helpful I can be with your specific question bc I'm having my ceremony at First Baptist, right down the road, and then only using the dining room for everything (120-140 guests).  I would assume that they've had brides do the transitions from all 3 spaces in the past, so I'd e-mail or give them a call to get an idea of how it could flow. The other thought to keep in mind is the cost per person/per space, so if you're looking to keep costs down, going with the ballroom for both dinner/dancing would save on that fee.  Good luck and keep us posted on details!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Hi ladies.... I too am having my entire wedding at the 20th century club. 

I am having my ceremony on the 2nd floor directly across from the ballroom.  My cocktail hour will be on the third floor across from the dining room. 

Then dinner will be on the third floor in the dining room and then dancing etc will be in the ballroom on the second floor. 

I am kind of skeptical about making the guests move three times.  I don't know if that will work out too well. 

I am so worried that I am going to have a sky rocket flower budget.  From decorating the ceremony to the cocktail hour to the dining room and then the ballroom. 

I too would like to hear from brides who have already had their wedding at the 20th century club. 
  • edited December 2011
    Megeterian..... I was under the impression that you could not have dinner in the ballroom.  My fiancee and I asked them and they said that dinner is to take place in the dining room. 

Or maybe we just misunderstood her.  I'm going to call and find out because I would love to have dinner and dancing in the same room.  It's more practical for everyone.
  • edited December 2011
    Hello! My May 7 wedding will take place at TCC. Our ceremony will be on the second floor, cocktails on the third outside the dining room and dinner and dancing will be in the dining room. The ballroom is awesome, but I did not want my guests to move again and I didn't want them to feel lost in that space b/c it is HUGE!

In my bio you can view pictures and other information. Almost all of my vendors have been to the TCC before, so are familiar with the space.

Please feel free to PM me with any specific questions.
    RT + JB
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    The only item I will not compromise on...my bouquet of all purple tulips wrapped in a swatch from my Mom's wedding dress.
  • AP910AP910 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi! We got married there in September, and our pictures are on Joanna Fassinger's blog under Amanda and Pat... Unfortunately, we didn't really get any pictures of our cocktail hour (even from the guests) but we think it went pretty well, and it was on the 2nd floor. We had dinner and dancing upstairs and loved that. We just used the space outside for the bar and pictures. Our bridal party gathering room was also on the 3rd floor, as was a room set aside for children. They seem to be pretty confident in their abilities to move the guests around in a timely fashion, and Gayle has definite ideas on how many people she thinks will fit in the dining room for dancing. We ended up having things set up for about 110 people, but we could have fit many more. Overall, we were pretty happy with our experiences at TCC! Good luck, and feel free to page me  if you want any additional info. or pictures. (In KnotSpeak, page me means write a post called  **AP910*** and I'll see it!)  I sometimes take a really long time to get back to people (like you, JLBaxter! I promise to write you back soon!) but I will get back to you eventually!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • MarattaMaratta member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hello future bride.

We had our wedding reception at The Twentieth Century Club in July 2010.  We absolutely loved it there and would recommend it to any and everyone!

We had about 200 people attend.  Cocktails were held in the ballroom.  We came in through the balcony, had our first dance and cut the cake before dinner.  All guests were "herded" to the dining room and from our perspective it took no time at all.  Dinner was delicious (we selected chicken piccia (spelling?), and orange roughy)  WOW - the food was amazing.  they also took care of making our cake.

All guests came back to the ballroom for the father/daughter and mother/son dance followed by dancing the rest of the night!  The guests indicated that they liked the moving from room to room - quite unique.

We decorated the venue the day before the wedding.  We have icicle lights for the entire balcony (let me know if you are interested in seeing pictures and or would like to purchase them from me). 

Again, you made a wonderful venue selection.  I'd love to help out in any way that I can.  I have lots of pictures if you'd like to see them.

All the best.
    Amy R.
  • edited December 2011
    @Maratta:

I would love to see your photos, that way I can kind of get a sense of what to do with all that space.

I sent you a pm.

Thank you!
  • shochendshochend member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am also having my wedding at the TCC, though it sounds a bit smaller than most posted. We are planning on about 75 people, so everything will be in the dining room with the cocktail hour outside of the dining room and in the adjoining room. Any ideas or pictures would be great. I am definitely working with less space but it has been so long since my tour I can hardly remember where everything is!
  • megetarianmegetarian member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Thanks for posting everyone! I am so bad at planning this Frown

I am going to take a look at everyone's links and pictures soon. Maratta, your wedding sounds amazing and I think we will consider having our cocktail hour in the ballroom, dinner in the dining room, then back to the ballroom... that seems great. I figured our DJ could help get people moving from room to room too.

Thanks again everyone... Cool

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards