May 2012 Weddings
Options

On remembering our FBIL/GM

So we finalized plans so to speak about how to remember our FBIL & GM (FI's sister's husband) at our wedding.  One month ago today, he was tragically killed in a car accident.  

We've left his name where it was listed with the other GMs on the program, but printed it in gray ink instead of black, and added his name to the "In Memory" section we already had in the program.  The only difference is his name has his birth/death dates under it and the following quote: "I left in love, in laughter, and in truth, and wherever truth, love, and laughter abide, I am there in spirit" (Bill Hicks).

Our officiant is going to mention him during the welcome.  Just very simple, pretty much say his name and that his presence is missed every day, and especially on our wedding day.

Lastly, we are going to have a photo of him, with a candle, and his boutinierre arranged in the foyer of our chapel and then we'll take it and set it somewhere at the reception as well.  I photoshopped this tonight to go in the frame:

FSIL is on board with everything.  Like I told her, I wouldn't feel right getting married and just pretending like nothing happened - our officiant put it nicely when he said that it was just the "fitting in of the pieces of life that we cannot escape from".  FBIL's parents are now going to come to our wedding - not only to drive with our FSIL and to help out with the baby, but I'm glad they'll be there for her as emotional support.  Super nice people, these are 2 extra people we added to the list that I'm actually happy about! 

FSIL has been holding it together, she still has bad days of course but she is back at work.  She also found out the due date of their baby, Nov. 30th.  Apparently they picked out a boy name and a girl name the day they found out they were pregnant again (less than a week before FBIL passed) so she already has names!  We also found out that FBIL did have a small life insurance policy through work, which should help her out financially for a little while (FBIL had met with an insurance agent about a month before the accident, but was still trying to decide on what type of policy to get so there was a lot of worry for awhile about finances).

Anyways, just thought I'd share with you guys.  I know in the weeks and days(!!) before our weddings it is easy to get frustrated and upset over the little details, but this whole situation has just been another reminder for me to focus on what really matters & enjoy the day for what it is with the people who are there, because you never know when it'll be your last chance.

So I didn't mean to end that on a sad note - best of luck to everyone finishing up their planning!
photo trex2_zps7ab4e9b0.jpg
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: On remembering our FBIL/GM

• Options
    Awwww thank you for the update Sam!! What a beautiful memorial. I can't believe it's been a month already. I'm glad there will be some sort of financial help for FSIL
    imageAnniversary Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    That's a beautiful way to remember him. I am sure his parents and your FSIL are going to feel so happy on your wedding day just like he would have! 
  • Options
    That seems like a very fitting tribute to him. I'm so sorry for your loss, too.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible. ~Nora Ephron, When Harry Met Sally
  • Options
    edited May 2012
  • Options
    Your post made me cry - with sadness for the loss, but happiness for the wonderful way to remember him! Beautiful, absolutely beautiful!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Beautiful! I might have to steal that quote. I'm still not 100% sure what i'm doing for my dad... short of having it mentioned by our MC those that we wish could have been here but aren't. (Mentioning grandparnets, one of my uncles) and then special mention to my dad.

What you guys have done is beautiful. I love it!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards