May 2012 Weddings
Options

Need some wording ideas...

Hi Ladies!

My MOH asked me to write a little slip that she can put into the invitations for my showere with what we want. I have a Bed Bath & Beyond registry, but there isn't much on it. We had a huge registy then we had an engagement party in October 2010 and then Christmas the last two years has pretty much wiped out the registry. I know people say to upgrade things and you can always find stuff to add, but the truth is that since we purchased our home over a year ago we have bought things as we needed them, so everything is only a year old, no real need to upgrade.

So now I get to my point...I want to write something about our honeymoon is on Royal Caribbean and the purchase of giftcards for it would be greatly appreciated too, so we can do additional fun things, I have been booking extras for it each week, so if no one buys them, we will be totally fine on our own.

How would you word something about the registry and Royal Caribbean? Would you just put the registry info?

Sorry it got so long...thanks for any insight...
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Need some wording ideas...

• Options
    Honestly, I wouldn't say anything. If someone asked me to help them pay for thier honeymoon I would slightly offended. If you can't afford a honeymoon wait a couple months, or just let your friend know you would prefer cash and dont put ANY gift info with the invites..that kinda lends people to giving cash. I would try and put some smaller items or items you will use all the time back on the registry for those people who need to give something tangable (you can never have too many towels, dish towels, cutlery etc). Let your friend know to let people know word of mouth you are trying to save for the honeymoon, but i wouldnt put it anywhere on the invitatiopn to the shower.

May 2012 July Siggy: Favorite Vacation Spot Kaleden, BC
    July Fave Vacation Spot photo IMG_0268-1.jpg

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    My Blog:Through My Eyes

• Options
    It wouldn't be on the invitation, it would be like the insert that the stores give you for the registry.

Like I did say, the honeymoon is all paid for, and plenty of extras I added, I was just trying to give another option instead of people just putting cash. I can barely close the door to the linen closet and the guest bedrooms we have so many towels.

Thanks for the thoughts.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I probably wouldn't say anything. IMHO, it would sound gift grabby to ask for things for the HM, even though it is already paid for. I think if you don't say anything & people see how few things are on your registry, then they'll probably give you cash (which you could then use for your HM). I know that if someone told me to buy them a giftcard to a certain place, I'd be miffed & probably wouldn't give them as much money. JMO though :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

You probably should have waited to register....but you can't do anything about that now.

I vote NO for asking for Royal Carib. GCs because thats the same as asking for cash, which is rude.

Maybe try another place besides BBB and see if there's anything different that you maybe don't have yet and register there.

What about formal china? Did you register for that and already get it, if not, I'd try finding something you like and register for that.

I'm curios, how you got so many gifts for your e-party....thats unusual, I hope you didn't write where you were registered on those invites!

Also, I'm not sure if it was a good idea to ask for anything from your registry for Christmas gifts, since now you're in this situation...but again, you can't do anything about that now. I'd just try another store, I'm sure you'll find a couple of things that you don't already have.

imageimage
    Missing Our July Sparkler
    BFP-11/12/12, MMC 1/16/13-baby stopped growing @ 9wks, found out at 13wks, D&E 1/25/13 Anniversary]
  • Options
    Generally HM registries are frowned upon. I would look for a few things to upgrade because some people prefer to give you a gift, and it is better if it's something you want and not a random thing you have no use for. If you have a small registry people will get the idea you prefer cash or you can add gift cards to the store you are registered at, then guests can give you how much they choose to and you can use it at a later date when you need something.
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Thanks for the thoughts. I won't put anything on there for the HM.

Our engagement party was 100 people, and it was mostly family that was very generous, we had over 200 items in all prices on it before the engagement party, and people began asking about us being registered so we went and registered and then told them, and that is where they went shopping. Our guests spent anywhere from 100-200 on gifts for us, so it pretty much wiped out the registry.

The same thing happened at Christmas, all of our family knew where we were registered and more items started to disappear off of our registry. We were grateful and thanked them all at Christmas time. I didn't send them to the registry to purchase things for us, nor had I expected it.

The only thing on the registry now is fine china, I went and added that just so that there was something, but I feel it is expensive for people, but it is the set that has already been started in our home that we love.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'm in a similar situation. People purchased off our registry for our engagement party (though they were specifically told "this is NOT a gift giving party.) and also this past Christmas. There are a number of things left (lower priced/multiple items like plates) and I am not going to add to it. If someone doesn't see something they wish to purchase, I figure they'll give us a gift card or cash. Or nothing. If you still want to give people options, you could add decorative items like frames, pillows for the sofa, etc.
  • Options
    That is exactly what happened to us! I didn't intend for it, it just went that way. I am trying to add some stuff, but my problem is when I have seen things we like for the house we just bought them. I guess we could have waited but we had the money, we liked it and we wanted to make the house a home so we did.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I agree with everyone else about not mentioning the HM. Also, if there's nothing left on your registry and you don't want to add more, you really should decline the shower. The point of the shower is to "shower" the bride with gifts.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    My girls just added my travel agents name and number ...not sure how they worded it...but every shower I been too had a honeymoon registry and anyone who thinks your being gift grabby or whatever then doesn't really know you or understand the situation. My mom already commented how excited people are to give to the honeymoon rather then give me a towel I dont need. I love giving money towards the honeymoon. :) I am not insulted and think its silly for anyone who is. You get gifts at a shower. It's the thing you do...not expected.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    I'm not really a big fan of honeymoon registries either, and while some people wouldn't be offended by it, I think some will (especially of your parents generation).

Have you thought about a Home Depot registry?  We waited to buy stuff for our new house since we knew we could register for a lot of those things, but there are a lot of things from Home Depot that would be great for updating your home, remodeling, lawn care tools, etc.  Or some place like REI if you guys are outdoorsy?  Registries don't always have to be all towels & bedsheets.

I would say it isn't a big deal to add another registry or add to your current one for wedding gifts (people will probably just bring cash to the wedding) but the idea of a shower is to "shower" the bride with actual gifts....not gift cards or cash.  I probably would decline the shower if you don't want to register for more stuff.
    photo trex2_zps7ab4e9b0.jpg
  • Options
    I know nothing about the shower it is a complete surprise and my girls have been planning it for months, they are thrilled and have get togethers to do it. I don't want to decline because I don't want gifts, I think it will be a fun time for all the women in both our families to be together, I only put 35 people on my list out of 185 invited, I'm not being gift grabby. Thanks aurorasEnvy I think we will go look at Home Depot this weekend. We could always use stuff for the house.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_may-2012-weddings_need-some-wording-ideas?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:f0ca0bc1-9255-4120-8042-b40e7f3e99c5Discussion:fb808f0e-ebc0-46f6-83bf-777ba9a4d328Post:74dc2568-8368-4118-80c2-2d2136bb5833">Re: Need some wording ideas...</a>:
    [QUOTE] Thanks aurorasEnvy I think we will go look at Home Depot this weekend. We could always use stuff for the house.
    Posted by PeteandJen[/QUOTE]<div>
    I swear, between the riding lawn mower (cutting an acre lot with a push mower just wasn't working out for us!), leaf blower, edger, shovels, hoses, hose reels, new toilet seats, new light fixtures, and a million other little things for our house, we spent soooooo much money there last year!</div><div>
    </div><div>There's so many things I want to buy there, I could spend all day & a lot of money on stuff for our house (and our house is only 5 years old!)  Even with just little things (new cabinet knobs, nicer toiler seats, lightbulbs, cleaning supplies, etc.) I'm sure you could fill an entire registry =]

</div>
    photo trex2_zps7ab4e9b0.jpg
  • Options
    I personally wouldn't be at all bothered by a HM registry, but I do understand where others may be. If I were you I would stick with what you have - a few things like additions to your china collection, and then other people can just give cash or other gifts they may find on their own for you. 
  • Options
    We have most of what we  need besides china... but have you done things like clocks and photo frames (I put a couple on I liked for wedding photos we don't have yet). We did Macys for some more of the house decoration stuff and BB&B for the china.

If you don't need it don't feel pressured to register for it. People know you and they can gift you with things (which you can always return) or money.

My favorite wedding gift I ever bought someone was a hiking water purifier that was on their REI registry... it was so fun to buy and give and I know they used it when they moved to Alaska.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards