May 2012 Weddings
Options

Makeup stress

So, I have hired hair stylists for the day of for me + BMs and also for my makeup. I am not a big makeup girl. I really like a natural look - normally I just wear dark brown eyeliner, black mascara and then some Bare Minerals powder foundation. It takes me about 3 minutes to do. For some reason I am now all stressed that the makeup artist will make me look like a clown (or at least not like myself - way too made-up) and I am wondering if I should cancel the makeup service and do it myself... 

I am an OOT bride and my makeup / hair trial will be on a Tuesday before my Sunday wedding. Yikes.

Anyone else planning to do their own makeup? 

Re: Makeup stress

• Options
    I am.  I scheduled a consultation at Sephora to find out what colors I would look good in and had her do my makeup, while I felt it was wayyyyyy too much, I did like the colors so I bought what I think I will need to be able to duplicate the look on a smaller scale.  The rep was good at telling me what would photograph best and stuff.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_may-2012-weddings_makeup-stress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:f0ca0bc1-9255-4120-8042-b40e7f3e99c5Discussion:fd25e547-dc7b-4e74-ab27-40fc4f88b9d5Post:423225d7-3cea-4130-800c-d0c5ba5aa069">Makeup stress</a>:
    [QUOTE]So, I have hired hair stylists for the day of for me + BMs and also for my makeup. I am not a big makeup girl. I really like a natural look - normally I just wear dark brown eyeliner, black mascara and then some Bare Minerals powder foundation. It takes me about 3 minutes to do. For some reason I am now all stressed that the makeup artist will make me look like a clown (or at least not like myself - way too made-up) and I am wondering if I should cancel the makeup service and do it myself...  I am an OOT bride and my makeup / hair trial will be on a Tuesday before my Sunday wedding. Yikes. Anyone else planning to do their own makeup? 
    Posted by max&lucy[/QUOTE]

I am also someone who wears very minimal makeup (I'm talking only mascara when I have time, and that it!)

The makeup artist I'm using asked me a whole bunch of questions about how I usually look, how I want to look etc. and I had my trial just the other day and I was amazing how great I looked without looking overdone (or like a clown.) While she was doing my makeup I was a little worried because I felt like she was putting a ton of stuff on my face, but when she was done and I looked in the mirror, I actually asked if she could add MORE to my eyes!

I say keep the trial/day of makeup artist and just be honest with her about how you want to look on your wedding day. If she truly is a professional, she will know how to make you look amazing, and not overdone.  
    imageimage
    Missing Our July Sparkler
    BFP-11/12/12, MMC 1/16/13-baby stopped growing @ 9wks, found out at 13wks, D&E 1/25/13 Anniversary]
  • Options
    Do you have a Bare Escentuals store near you? If you go in there, they'll do your makeup for you and help you pick the right colors/look for you. They've never steered me wrong yet! Then they give you a sheet that shows you what products they used and where so you can replicate the look. You don't need an appointment, just try not to go when the mall is super-busy.

Good luck!
    Follow Me (and my wedding!) on Pinterest
    50 in 2012 Reading Challenge: 2 books read
    my read shelf:

Katie Rizzo's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    i haven't had makeup done at sephora, but everytime i've gone to ulta, i swear those girls are retarded.  i've been to 4 different ulta stores and it seems like they have no idea what they're talking about.  i had someone show me how to do the bare minerals and she did the foundation all splotchy all over my face, it looked terrible!  i did it better myself the first time i tried it at home.

i say, whatever you decide to go with just practice a lot if you plan to do it yourself.  i'm doing mine myself and even though i normally wear the same as you everyday, and i know how to apply what i normally wear, i've been watching youtube videos to learn different techniques.

professional makeup artists should know what they're doing though, so your experience with them should be MUCH better than my experience at a makeup store :-P

good luck!!  :-)
  • Options
    Another option if you decide you do not like what the make-up artist does on your trial is going to a mall (if there's one close by) and having them do your make-up for you at one of the counters.  That's usually what I do when going to an important wedding (read: brother's wedding, close family member, etc).  It's free to get done, but you have to buy 2 products or something, which I usually get eyeliner and the lip gloss or something else cheap.  That way I can reapply the rest of the night.  Just a thought if you do go through with the trial (which I think you should) and don't like it.

Also - bring pictures of faces you like, Carrie Underwood always looks really good without looking too made up.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_may-2012-weddings_makeup-stress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:f0ca0bc1-9255-4120-8042-b40e7f3e99c5Discussion:fd25e547-dc7b-4e74-ab27-40fc4f88b9d5Post:cff75200-eeb0-4cca-ad59-6e07aa7c38ae">Re: Makeup stress</a>:
    [QUOTE]i haven't had makeup done at sephora, but everytime i've gone to ulta, i swear those girls are retarded.  i've been to 4 different ulta stores and it seems like they have no idea what they're talking about.  i had someone show me how to do the bare minerals and she did the foundation all splotchy all over my face, it looked terrible!  i did it better myself the first time i tried it at home. i say, whatever you decide to go with just practice a lot if you plan to do it yourself.  i'm doing mine myself and even though i normally wear the same as you everyday, and i know how to apply what i normally wear, i've been watching youtube videos to learn different techniques. professional makeup artists should know what they're doing though, so your experience with them should be MUCH better than my experience at a makeup store :-P good luck!!  :-)
    Posted by comeongetdown[/QUOTE]

I saw wedding photos of a girl who had her wedding makeup done at Ulta, and she looked like a corpse. I don't mind buying products I already love there, but I would avoid taking advice from them like the plague.
    Follow Me (and my wedding!) on Pinterest
    50 in 2012 Reading Challenge: 2 books read
    my read shelf:

Katie Rizzo's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I just went through this! Things I learned:

- Mineral makeup does not photograph well. The minerals are reflective, so they will make you look shiny/ washed out/ a combo of both in photos.

- You don't want any sort of makeup with SPF in it- The titanium whatever will also wash you out in photographs.

- Sephora reps don't necessarily know what they are talking about. I went in and consulted with them, and they sent me home with the Make Up Forever HD foundation which was a horrible match with my skin. Instead of finding what would work, they convinced me that I had moisturized improperly (wtf?) so the makeup wasn't settling. Needless to say, I returned the foundation, concealer, & primer I bought.

- I agree with PP- Ulta employees know even less.

- What worked best for me was department store beauty counters. I tried Clarins, Smashbox, Lancome, MAC, and Elizabeth Arden, was sent home with a ton of color matched samples, and was able to easily figure out what I could apply myself and what worked best with my skin.

I ended up getting Lancome's Teint Idole Ultra 24h foundation and Tarte's Dark Circle Defense :)

GL!
  • Options
    I have basically the same makeup routine as you, 5 mins tops! When my MUA worked on my face for over an hour I was worried what I would look like. While I wasn't completely satisfied with my eyes (I wanted smokey eye, but realized for my day wedding it might be too much) my skin looked fantastic! 

Just talk to your MUA about how you usually look (maybe bring a pic) and want to look on your wedding.

I wouldn't worry about having your trial that close to your wedding, anything you are unhappy with during your trial can be changed. Start with less and then it will be easier for your MUA to add more if you want.
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards