June 2013 Weddings
Options

Does anyone else feel behind?

Does anyone else feel like they're behind in their planning? My FI and I know where we're having the ceremony and reception - in fact we've even put down the deposit - but not much else. Lol, Whenever I read the forumns I begin feeling like such a slacker. Yet according to my timeline on the Knot I'm not ridiculously behind.

Re: Does anyone else feel behind?

• Options
    I think a lot of us just want to get the big checks out of the way so we don't have to worry about them and can move on to smaller details. Also, with June being a popular month, some areas book up quickly. Others don't. Your planning timeline really depends on you, your FI, what kind of wedding you want (black tie, backyard bbq, intimate, 500 guests, etc.), and the area you're in. As long as you aren't stressing out about it, I think you're probably ok.

This doesn't mean I'm advising anybody to wait until three weeks ahead of time to plan things. :)
    June 2013 May Challenge: The Dress
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I have no choice but to plan ahead, Im in a PhD program that only gets more time consuming as time goes on.  Also, June is so popular I really booked my big time vendors early (ceremony and reception venue, caterer, photog).  My florist and DJ are family friends so they sort of are just getting done whenever.  My DJ is done and florist my dad is getting the quote shortly for.  Im slacking on the hotel thing (sort of paying for it...) and the baker but I think I know who I am using.  Otherwise, I have a crap ton of DIY to do (have done none yet) and slowly collecting some decor and stashing them at my dads.
    June 2013 - Shoe Inspiration
    imageimage
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    Most of us post regularly have been engaged for anywhere from the last six month to a year or longer at this point. So we're ahead based on the excessive amount of time we've had to make the decisions.

I feel like I'm starting to fall behind now. I felt really ahead for a while, but we'll be approaching the ten month mark soon enough now and I haven't met with a florist or cake person. FI's mom just booked our RD pavilion and we need to find a caterer for that now too and I'm nervous there wont be any good ones left for a reasonable price since we booked everything else so early. 
                                                                                  Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I've only booked my venue and DJ. Our photographer is a business acquaintance of mine so he knows he's hired but we really haven't made it official. I wanted my BM's to find their dresses because my sister has to pay for three since both her daughters and her are in the wedding and I want to give her plenty of time to save. I have nothing else done and I'm constantly changing my mind about things. I'm pretty much following the timeline on the knot too so hopefully I'll have my dress picked next month and then go from there.
    imageimageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I've felt that way for the past few weeks. We've been engaged for 7 months now and so we booked our big items (venue, photography, dj) in the first 2 months and then i got crazy busy at work and the wedding plans got put on the back burner for a bit. Now I've decided that to keep things manageable with our busy schedules, I've added 1-2 items to my to-do list each week for the wedding. For instance, this week it was to do a 2nd draft of the guest list with FI and start looking at wedding dresses! 2nd draft hammered out on Tuesday and wedding dress shopping today and tomorrow :) 

If you break it up into small pieces planning a wedding for 5 or 500 seems way more manageable and stress free! :)

Best of luck wedding planning!
  • Options
    I think it really depends on where you live.  I am in the Toronto area and vendors, photographers, DJs, and catering companies get booked sometimes over 2 years in advance. 

I was actually not going to start planning for a while after we got engaged because I had no idea things booked up so quickly.  But in the Toronto forums on the Knot I was asking about some venues for fun (giddy engagement research) and found one FI and I liked.  Another bride warned me that her wedding was in September 2012 and she was told the venue was almost fully booked for that year.  FI and I called them and set up an appointment to go see it and fell in love.  We got the last date in June 2012, and this was almost 6 months ago now.  

After that I got scared that we could lose out on other great vendors, so we went ahead and got all the big things booked: officiant, photographer, videographer, decor company, caterer, bartender, and DJ.

I'd suggest asking in your local board how far in advance things book up in your area.  That can be your measure if you should get started or wait it out longer.
    ~*June 2013 Sig Challenge: Our Cake*~
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I've actually kind of booked our photographer too...a friend of my Fis de facto brother-in-law said he would be willing to do it. I called around to Dj's in our area too...none of them acted like they were booked up...seemed liked we had some time. Same with the cake place. The florist is the only thing I haven't checked into yet...but to be honest flowers aren't a super huge deal to me anyway.
  • Options
    I don't feel behind at all. I have all my vendors booked except MUA. Right now I'm working on blocking hotels. I just realized my wedding is Father's Day weekend and we have alot of graduations in the area during that week including my daughters. So I decided to start with that now.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    We are in the same boat. Not much for planning.

• Options
    I'm completely behind and it's only adding stress where there shouldn't be! I also work 2 jobs/7days a week..doesn't help really... considering a wedding coordinator/consultant, seeing as we don't even have a site booked Frown we have ideas, but we both have crazy schedules and can't get out to see places until evening weeknights! Frown
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards