June 2013 Weddings

Save the dates...magnet or card?

so I'm starting to look at save the date designs. Are any of you guys doing that yet? I know I shouldn't send them out until later this year but I wanted to just get a jump start. I would like to get magnets but those seem to be expensive. Anyone got any good invitation site suggestions?
imageWedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Save the dates...magnet or card?

• I've only gotten samples thus far, I went to weddingpaperdivas and David's Bridal
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited February 2012
    I've been thinking about save the dates as well. What I have considered doing is getting cards or doing them myself and then going somewhere like Michael's or another craft store and getting magnets to put on the back myself. I haven't l looked into it very much as far as price wise goes but its an idea. :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers Daisypath Graduation tickers
  • I am definitely going to do magnets. I love having them from my friends on my fridge, the ones that arent magnets I usually look at once and then forget about them. I havent really looked at any designs yet though.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I like the magnets but I'm just wondering if they will be ok to put in the mail lol and I hadn't even thought of putting the magnet on myself...NICE IDEA!
  • When you mail magnets it causes the postage to go up -- so keep that in mind! 

Consider using vistaprint.  If you sign up for their emails you can get postcards for free.  All you have to do is pay for shipping.  Also, if you do postcards, the postage is about half the price!  When we were going to have our June 2012 wedding, I made my own design in powerpoint and then uploaded it to vistaprint.  It was very cheap.
  • I will be using magnets. Michaels actually sells Save the Date Magnet Kits. :)

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • ditto vistaprint if you go with magnets. I think we're going to go with postcards, or just a flat card. 
    Photobucket
  • We're going to do postcards, because I'm one of those people who feels bad when they end up throwing out someone's save the date magnet (usually years after the wedding, when the magnet has started to crack or peel), because I'm like "aw, these people put effort into these, and I'm just throwing it out with the rest of the trash." I have much less guilt throwing out a postcard after the fact, so I've decided to spare our guests this kind of agony. And yes, I am totally projecting my own neuroses onto my guests. :) Like Steph said, we'll probably use Vistaprint as well...it's too good of a deal to pass up.
  • I think we are going to go with a magnet. The only tough thing is figuring out what design we want! We aren't doing our e-session until later this summer so we can't do anything with a picture on it. :( 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We aren't doing our engagement pictures until probably august. I plan on using the pics for our save the dates and sending them out in October. That's still about 8 months ahead of time. When are you ladies planning on sending out your save the dates?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I am definitely doing a magnet. My aunt recently recieved a magnet STD and raved about how conveniant they are!

We are doing our engagement session in June/July and I will probably send my STD out sometime around October/November.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I ordered our STD magnets off of vistaprint. They run Groupons pretty often (search the entire site for Vistaprint, not just your local area). It was $17 for $70 worth of product, then an additional 30% off for bring a Groupon member. My total was $252 for 200 magnets, the fancy color printed matching envelopes with our return address printed (I only got these because of the discount), and I ended up paying $90.

I'm not going to send them out until the summertime, but I couldn't pass up a great deal for the design that I loved. I'm done sounding like an advertisement now. :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I second VP magnets.  I think the postage shouldnt go up because they are not very thick, in fact they probably weigh as much as a regular letter in the mail.  Plus it fits in the envelopes that comes with the postcards :-).

I needed 80 of them so I got a groupon, at the time it was 15 for 60 worth of VP.  The groupon also came with a discount (like 30% off or something).  So I made the STD on powerpoint just like jena.n.ross does, uploaded it and ordered two batches of 40 in the same order (since they only have the option of 10,20,30,40,50,100).  So total with the 2 uploads, 80 total "large" magnets came to $59.xx (covered by my $15 groupon) and then it was about $8 shipping.  So I spent $23 total for 80 STD magnets.

Im gonna send them out in october/november before people get the mad rush of cards for the holidays.

I did consider the postcard (free postcards but a few bucks for shipping) plus sticky magnet (you can get magnetic strip rolls from walmart for like $7) but for $10 more I have the real deal soooo it worked out well.
    June 2013 - Shoe Inspiration
    imageimage
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • I'm doing postcards from VP with their small magnet attached to the back with a glue dot. I already ordered them... just couldn't wait! I'm slowly assembling them and will wait to send them until this summer. I know they're supposed to be 6-9 months in advance but we have mostly out of town guests and the hotel books fast so I'm going to send them closer to a year before. My family has already been begging to see them!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I also want to do magnets. Even though they are more expensive, I think more people will appreciate them, we have 2 STD magnets on our fridge now (one wedding is already past, one is coming up) I found out about a week ago that Bed Bath and Beyond online now does STDs, and invitations, and all the stationary stuff.
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2013-weddings_save-the-datesmagnet-or-card?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:f30b0bfc-508d-415c-bf59-ab83e327da37Discussion:0ab367c2-a39b-47a1-9df8-e80bbf908a7cPost:6a4ff512-6b7b-434a-b897-e6cdcc4f7517">Re: Save the dates...magnet or card?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I also want to do magnets. Even though they are more expensive, I think more people will appreciate them, we have 2 STD magnets on our fridge now (one wedding is already past, one is coming up)<strong> I found out about a week ago that Bed Bath and Beyond online now does STDs, and invitations, and all the stationary stuff.</strong>
    Posted by chickadee52287[/QUOTE]

<div>Really?! That's awesome! </div><div>
    </div><div>We are sending ours out almost exactly at the 1 year mark. We have a bunch of OOT guests and I don't want them to start planning their vacations and then realize it's our wedding that same weekend. (I'm already dealing with one aunt who is upset that it's near their "<em>annual two-week beach trip to California. We *need* this trip to decompress and do nothing. Can't you change your date?"</em><em> </em>...it's the week prior. Gah. Not like it's the same weekend.)</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • A friend of my brother's did post cards! I thought it was a cute, simple, inexpensive way to remind people to save the date! I'm pretty sure that's what we'll do, but probably not until next year. I know you can make them on many of the photo websites like Shutterfly. We have so many save the date magnets on our fridge...the only thing they're there for is for DS to pull them onto the floor...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We're doing magnets, probably through wedding paper divas. Costco members get 20% off at WPD. My cousin did postcards, and the post office put stickers right through her information on all of them and a good portion got lost. I feel better doing magents because they'll be in envelopes.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2013-weddings_save-the-datesmagnet-or-card?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:f30b0bfc-508d-415c-bf59-ab83e327da37Discussion:0ab367c2-a39b-47a1-9df8-e80bbf908a7cPost:9f2cd9df-f767-4113-8f5c-e2846f9131c8">Re: Save the dates...magnet or card?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We're doing magnets, probably through wedding paper divas. Costco members get 20% off at WPD. My cousin did postcards, and the post office put stickers right through her information on all of them and a good portion got lost. I feel better doing magents because they'll be in envelopes.
    Posted by BCV513[/QUOTE]
    When you order postcards through vistaprint, you can get envelopes for free. We're putting our postcards/magnets in envelopes to send so that they won't get ruined in transit :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm a magnets fan too! People just loose cards but magnets can go on the fridge and remind them about the date :)  Staples sells magnet paper that you can just design something at home and print out. My sisters friend did them and they turned out awesome! 

For me, i don't think its too early to start looking..i've got family coming from far away so a heads up is always appreciated. 
  • Awesome! My invitations I chose have matching save the dates. So I'm going to order them and put the magnets on myself. How much extra in postage do you think it would be?
  • I ordered save the date magnets from www.savethedatemagnets.us. It was awesome and cheap in rate starting from $0.07.I think this site is your better choice.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards