June 2013 Weddings
Options

A little sadpants about our honeymoon plans...

So, after a long talk this evening, my fiance and I decided to drastically scale back our honeymoon plans. We were originally planning on taking 2 1/2 weeks in Europe, because he's a teacher and he's off all summer, and I have three weeks of vacation with the option to purchase a fourth. However, due to state requirements, he has to complete 24 continuing education credits by the end of the 2013-2014 school year. Because of his courseload (he teaches 9th grade English, an honors English, and he carries a special ed caseload of 16 kids, in addition to coaching three sports during the year), the best time for him to take these classes is during the summer. That's when most of them are offered, as well. And these courses all cost $$$$. Up until a year ago, his job situtation wasn't very stable, and he wasn't making very good money, so he put off starting these classes until this summer. Which means that over this summer and next summer, he has a pretty big commitment of time and money.

After talking it through, we've decided that it's best for him to be able to knock out the remainder of the credits he'll need next summer...which means our awesome European honeymoon is on hold until 2014. We're still going to take a smaller, week-long trip somewhere after the wedding, but we've decided it's best to wait for Europe for another year, when he won't have any classes to take (and pay for...these classes are nearly as much as what we'd spend on the Europe trip). 

Sorry, I know this is long and all very first world problems, but I'm still sad. :(

Oh well, at least we'll have a sweet 1 year anniversary trip to look forward too.

Re: A little sadpants about our honeymoon plans...

• Options
    Sorry your plans changed. That's awesome you'll already have your first anniversary celebration planned though. At least you'll still get to do something. Being an adult is real crummy like that sometimes.

My FI is also talking about scaling back our honeymoon. We are planning a three week cross country road trip. Originally we planned to bring our dog, but it's going to severely limit what we can do on our trip. So now he wants to cut it down because he doesn't want to be away from the dog for three weeks. Yeah. True story. I'm not budging though. This will be our last chance to do a big road trip and I will win this fight. The dog will be more than fine with either of our parents. 
                                                                                  Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I'm sorry you're sadpants :(

I'm a teacher too, so I totally get how frustrating this can be.
    June 2013 - January Sig Challenge - Honeymoon Destination - Prince Edward Island
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    That really stinks! I feel your pain, though. We're going in 2014 too. 

Cake! - June 2013
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Im sorry your sad :( You are going to have a wonderful honeymoon and your Europe trip is something great you guys can look forward to.

cnf, I am totally with you. True story: We board our dog because he is a beast that cant play well with others, so we cant just drop him at our parents because of their dogs. Well, the place we board him has cameras that you can watch from your computer while you are away, FI always has to make sure our dog is in a prime kennel so we can "check up on him" a couple times a day. so lame.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    MrsK, FI's parents were saying something about boarding their dogs, and he thought they meant we should board us for the trip. I though FI was going to go all hulk on them. He would never agree to board our dog. And for three weeks, I would agree. That's pretty long. But if he stays with our parents... I just don't get it. That's hilarious he watches the dog. My FI would get all crazy about that too.
                                                                                  Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I'm sorry about your plans, but now you have a year to look forward to the wedding, and then after that, you will have a year to look forward to and plan your Europe trip! Plus, you are getting an extra trip out of it, since you will still be doing something. :) I understand why you are sad though. I am already stressed about our honeymoon, because we are planning on 2 weeks, and FI can take 2, but since I am having trouble finding a permanent teaching job, I had to take another one. I don't think this job likes/allows vacations more than 5 days in a row. I don't know what I'm going to do about it, but FI is pretty adament that they will let me go since it's my honeymoon. I don't know about that. 
    Honeymoon Destination - Hawaii image
  • Options
    I'm sorry that you had to postpone your cruise! I'm sure you'll have fun in your one week trip regardless of where you go though, and the cruise would be an awesome anniversary celebration!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    bar10521bar10521 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    edited June 2012
    Sorry that you had to postpone your plans but if it makes you feel better we're in the same boat. FI and I were originally trying to plan a 2 week honeymoon in Europe but we just can't afford it and we'd much rather have a house. So now we're going somewhere local-ish (unless we can find a great last minute/online deal) for a few day to a week and going to Europe another time. It stinks so I definitely know how you feel.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks ladies!! I feel better already, I was just wallowing in my misery a little bit last night, and I didn't want to say anything to my fiance, because he feels bad enough about it. Yet another example of why it's so nice to have this group around!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards