June 2013 Weddings

Rant

This is an on topic rant but still: 
Does it annoy anyone else when people judge whatever you are doing for your wedding because they wouldn't do it for theirs.  I'm getting so annoyed with my roommate.  

My fiance is over here on Tuesdays and Wednesday nights and we will randomly be talking about small ideas for the wedding.  Yesterday I said to him "oh how cute would it be to have a caricature of us as a guest book and have people sign around it" and she laughed at me and rolled her eyes! So  I snapped at her and and said "its not your wedding" and she said "your right its not" in a snotty tone. 

GRRRRR!  Why can't people understand that everyone has different tastes and its not about them (she isn't even invited because I'm moving out in May and I can't wait ti get as far away as possible).  Also, she wanted to come dress shopping with me!  AS IF (yes I just used a 90s phrase).

Rant over :D

Re: Rant

• Weddings do seem to bring out the worst in people, don't they? Even people who aren't even remotely involved!

I don't really talk about my plans where anyone who isn't in my close circle can hear me. Unfortunately I'm kind of sensitive, so if someone said something negative about my plans I would probably end up re-thinking my entire wedding! I know, not one of my finer traits. xD

Forget about her, she doesn't know what she's talking about.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Anniversary
  • Yea people will ALWAYS run their mouth. I had a girl tell me my ring was plain. Smh...took all I had not to leave an imprint of it on her face lol.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • LOL MrsPrice.

People are so insensitive.  I am a little nervous about my wedding because while it suits us, I am afraid of being judged by our rustic venue.  I have a big family so lifestyles range drastically.  Esepcially my mothers side, they are kind of high class so I am unsure if they will just turn up their noses to cowboy boots and line dancing.
    June 2013 - Shoe Inspiration
    imageimage
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • I agree that weddings do bring out the worst in people! Your roomate is probably just jealous.

Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Cassie, I can't even imagine what a nightmare it would be to take your roommate dress shopping. She probably only wants to go because she knows she have tons of opportunities to critique you and your style.

People are entitled to their opinions, but that doesn't make it okay to share them. For us, we're having a non-traditional wedding (non-religious ceremony, everything is outdoors, rehearsal dinner is going to be picnic style, my mom is wearing pants because she hates dresses/skirts, etc,) and every time my future mother in law asks about the wedding, and I give her a non-traditional answer, she does this thing where she blinks several times, pulls her mouth in, and goes "Oh!" in a surprised tone. It's amazing how much meaning she manages to cram into those two little letters. I just try to let it roll off my back and ignore the haters!!

• edited March 2012
    how old is your roommate? that's pretty immature to not be able to keep snide comments to herself. 

i agree w/ PP's, just stop sharing any wedding info w/ her. I'd also try not to let it get under your skin. ppl can be very judgemental, and you're the gal that cares most about your wedding, so it can easy to feel hurt if ppl don't like your ideas, but just try to let it roll of your back. at least you're moving out soon!
    Photobucket
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2013-weddings_rant?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:f30b0bfc-508d-415c-bf59-ab83e327da37Discussion:3079c55d-de79-4391-a188-acf1085874f3Post:b32bd931-1fe6-4819-8b13-3357027febe8">Re: Rant</a>:
    [QUOTE]every time my future mother in law asks about the wedding, and I give her a non-traditional answer, she does this thing where she blinks several times, pulls her mouth in, and goes "Oh!" in a surprised tone Posted by emilyb213[/QUOTE]

Omg!!!! HAHAHAH  My FMIL does that too!!!!  When I told her we were having our reception in a barn, I thought her eyelids would flutter right off.   Nearly everything we have told her has garnered an "Oh" or a "Hm."  One time she upgraded to "Interesting" LOL  

P.S. OP I think the caricature idea is super cute

~*June 2013 Sig Challenge: Our Cake*~
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • You girls make me so happy!  I'm glad its not only happening to me (well kinda...).  As for sharing things with her... I don't... she over hears them because our apartment is kind of on the small side.  But I'm doing my best and my fiance does a good job of making me feel better about things :) 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2013-weddings_rant?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:f30b0bfc-508d-415c-bf59-ab83e327da37Discussion:3079c55d-de79-4391-a188-acf1085874f3Post:b32bd931-1fe6-4819-8b13-3357027febe8">Re: Rant</a>:
    [QUOTE] and every time my future mother in law asks about the wedding, and I give her a non-traditional answer, she does this thing where she blinks several times, pulls her mouth in, and goes "Oh!" in a surprised tone. Posted by emilyb213[/QUOTE]

LMAO my FMIL does this too!!! Pretty much for everything though, not just non traditional answers. I know she honestly really doesnt care about the details of the wedding at all, she tries to pretend that shes interested and that is always her response. She has always told me as long as we are happy, she is happy. Its really nice, but it would also be nice if she did tell me her honest opinion on some things.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Yes, people definitely get crazy around weddings!   My mom is making me crazy, she lives two states away, and she wasn't planning on coming up for dress shopping, etc (another story all together!), and now she wants to look at some when I come down to visit.  She is very very good at offering, shall we say, constructive criticism.  I just know the whole day will upset me, so I'm not including her!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I don't know - sounds like a cute idea to me. have fun!
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Are you constantly talking about the wedding? I'm not saying what she did was appropriate, but maybe keep the wedding talk around her to a minimum. I would be pretty annoyed if that's ALL someone wanted to talk about in front of me--especially if I had recently gone through a breakup or wasn't seeing someone. *shrugs* Just a thought.
  • Not really.  My fiance is only over two times a week and shes usually not even around.  We aren't really planning everything at this point, if I find anything I will mention something.  Its not like we talk about it constently and we make sure to talk quietly about it.  She is one of those people that likes to be in everyones business.  She even has a boyfriend I would be more sensitive if that was the case. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards