June 2013 Weddings
Options

Vent: She took my ring!

Hi Everyone,

I needed a vent session about the frustrating afternoon I had and since sometimes telling the story to others helps me to laugh about it, I thought I'd share. Long story short, I have to go without my ring for 2 WEEKS!

I took my ring into the jeweler today for its 6 month cleaning and inspection. While there, the girl inspecting it calls me over because the center stone was loose. As she is showing me, what happens... she wiggles it out of the setting! Now instead of tightening the prongs, she has to send it in to reset the stone. Of course, this couldn't have happened at a worse time since this weekend we are going to see FI's extended family for the first time since we got engaged (this side celebrates Christmas in June so we didn't get to see them right after we got engaged), and next weekend we are seeing all of his friends from high school at a wedding. So, to avoid feeling naked without my ring, I went to Claire's to buy a "stand-in", classy right? Luckily I have a picture on my phone of my real ring in case someone wants to see it in the next few weekends.

And to top it off, I came out to my car after this whole experience to find that my battery had died. What a day!

Thank you for letting me vent. Hopefully someone got a chuckle out of this. :)
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Vent: She took my ring!

• Options
    Oh No!  But try to think of this in the positive, a major crisis was averted by her examining the ring and taking it.  You want it done right because you would be having an even worse day if you had lost that stone.  SO just think of it as it costs you 2 weeks to not have to spend $$$ on a new stone :-)

Timing stinks but I think your stand in is a cute idea :-)
    June 2013 - Shoe Inspiration
    imageimage
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    AllieS421AllieS421 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited June 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2013-weddings_vent-she-took-my-ring?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:f30b0bfc-508d-415c-bf59-ab83e327da37Discussion:34f738c3-2a85-45df-928a-e5dfa79bdb1aPost:e500cec3-643b-4469-8594-9d9b1313d85f">Re: Vent: She took my ring!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh No!  But try to think of this in the positive, a major crisis was averted by her examining the ring and taking it.  You want it done right because you would be having an even worse day if you had lost that stone.  SO just think of it as it costs you 2 weeks to not have to spend $$$ on a new stone :-) Timing stinks but I think your stand in is a cute idea :-)
    Posted by ashlidie[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>Yes, thank you. FI bought the warranty on my ring so just in case I ever lose a stone I don't have to pay for it :) but it would have taken two months for that to come in, so I'll count my lucky stars that it's only two weeks.</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I know the feeling!  I had to return my ring about 2 weeks after I got it because the prongs had been all twisted and messed up and the stone had fallen out.  They had to send it out to get fixed.  I bought a "stand in" ring too! Only problem is...it turns my finger green! haha  FI and I joke about it now but at the time it was definately not so funny.  
  • Options
    Aww sorry about that! It does suck to be without it. I had to get mine resized and chose the jeweler based on how quickly it could done/who would have it the least amount of time and planned it for when we wouldn't be seeing any family or friends (<- weirdo, I know).

Hopefully they get it back promptly and shiney as ever! And I agree that it was better to happen there with her then to lose it elsewhere unknowingly. 
                                                                                  Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2013-weddings_vent-she-took-my-ring?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:f30b0bfc-508d-415c-bf59-ab83e327da37Discussion:34f738c3-2a85-45df-928a-e5dfa79bdb1aPost:0ec9fcd7-5adc-43d4-9535-d133984563e4">Re: Vent: She took my ring!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I know the feeling!  I had to return my ring about 2 weeks after I got it because the prongs had been all twisted and messed up and the stone had fallen out.  They had to send it out to get fixed.  I bought a "stand in" ring too! Only problem is...it turns my finger green! haha  FI and I joke about it now but at the time it was definately not so funny.  
    Posted by missy045[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>I read this and removed my fake to check and sure enough my finger is green! Oh well hahaha</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    First off, I have the same name as you :) Second, I know how much it must suck to be without your ring for the next couple weeks during important times, but I would rather give it up and have them fix it the proper way or to have lost the center stone somewhere, I would FREAK out if that happened, even though its insured and under warranty.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Awww, I totally understand how you feel! I chose to leave my ring at home over the weekend when FI and I went camping since I didn't want to risk loosing it, and I literally felt like I was naked the whole time! And it was only for 2 days, I would so buy a stand in if it was for longer than that! But ditto PPs, at least you are getting it back in 2 weeks instead of 2 months if the stone fell out.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    haha I had to laugh that u got one from claires we use to do this when we were younger and going to the club to keep boys away.  I wouldnt worry about while I am sure you want to show it off at least it is getting fixed and you didnt loose your stone! 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I've had to take my ring in to have it fixed twice due to the prongs being messed up and them making it worse when they "fixed" it the first time. I had an obnoxious looking one that I bought as a stand in at Claires too. It didn't turn my finger green, but it did turn some heads. haha
    June 2013 May Challenge: The Dress
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Oh my gosh, seeing your headline made me think some crazy lady stole your ring! Lol. It will stink not having your ring for a couple weeks! Think of it being lucky that it wiggled out there and not in a shopping mall or something like that. This makes me want to take mine in to be checked just so I know it's all secure!
  • Options
    I just read in a magazine that if you paint the inside part with clear nail polish it shouldn't turn your finger green...I'll try it and let you know if it works!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2013-weddings_vent-she-took-my-ring?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:f30b0bfc-508d-415c-bf59-ab83e327da37Discussion:34f738c3-2a85-45df-928a-e5dfa79bdb1aPost:a986c94e-8ba6-4312-8c1f-1cb46a5bbe9d">Vent: She took my ring!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi Everyone, I needed a vent session about the frustrating afternoon I had and since sometimes telling the story to others helps me to laugh about it, I thought I'd share. Long story short, I have to go without my ring for 2 WEEKS! I took my ring into the jeweler today for its 6 month cleaning and inspection. While there, the girl inspecting it calls me over because the center stone was loose. As she is showing me, what happens... she wiggles it out of the setting! Now instead of tightening the prongs, she has to send it in to reset the stone. Of course, this couldn't have happened at a worse time since this weekend we are going to see FI's extended family for the first time since we got engaged (this side celebrates Christmas in June so we didn't get to see them right after we got engaged), and next weekend we are seeing all of his friends from high school at a wedding. So, to avoid feeling naked without my ring, I went to Claire's to buy a "stand-in", classy right? Luckily I have a picture on my phone of my real ring in case someone wants to see it in the next few weekends. And to top it off, I came out to my car after this whole experience to find that my battery had died. What a day! Thank you for letting me vent. Hopefully someone got a chuckle out of this. :)
    Posted by AllieS421[/QUOTE]

No problem. That is what we are here for.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards