June 2013 Weddings

Wedding Wednesday

Good morning! What'd we accomplish this week and what do you ladies have planned for the up coming week?

I didn't do much. Rescheduled with the new MUA I'm thinking of booking. I'll go do my trial in October and make my decision then, but she's got me penciled in so no one can come in and steal her from me. 

I'm going dress shopping again Friday. I need to call the one boutique today and bump my appointment back an hour. My mom and I are going to go to another boutique first that opens earlier because they carry all different designers than the last two place I went. They also carry both my dream dress and the dress that made my mom cry, so I can try both back on back to back.

FI mentioned wanting to do a cake tasting again. I'm thinking I'll plan us one for September. 
                                                                              Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: Wedding Wednesday

• You've accomplished more than I have. I've been failing miserably at wedding stuff lately.

We're going to look at tuxedos & suits for the groomsmen on Friday. My fiance's twin brother is our Best Man, and he's leaving next month for a year long contract position in Afghanistan so we've got to get the tux rentals on track before he leaves (he'll be back for the wedding). After talking to him on Sunday, I'm thinking we may have a Best Man-zilla on our hands. In addition to telling my fiance that he HAS to get a manicure before the wedding, he's also decided that he's going to tell all of the groomsmen to grow their hair out a little bit (most of them have hairlines that are starting to recede), because "they'll all look better with more hair". He also wants them to stop biting their nails for a few weeks leading up to the wedding...I suspect that he's going to try and convince them to do a group manicure.

• Sunday we are going cake tasting. I'm super excited about that. I'm trying to get FI to finalize who he wants on his side for the wedding. It's really a logistics thing. 

He has 1 sister and 4 brothers. I have one brother. My cousin is my moh, his father is is bm. He can't just choose one brother over the other so they all have to be in the wedding. But then I need more bridesmaids. So I'd take his sister but to be fair then he'd have to take my brother. That brings him to a total of 6 GM and me to a total of 2 BM. So then it comes to picking and chosing over friends for me. SMH. I think I have it figured out, let's hope everyone is able to participate! lol
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Well, I am pretty much behind everyone in this group w/my wedding planning. lol.  I guess I have to take into consideration that I am having a small-ish wedding and I am not doing a lot of traditional things.

Wedding planning is like a second job. After I got back from the gym last night I pretty much spent 3 hours researching what colors in my palette I want where in my wedding. You think I would be focusing more on finding a photographer, which I really need to do. But I have figured out some things i'm set on doing. I want navy BM dresses w/a bouquet of mostly pink flowers and not sure about the GM yet. All the beachy type weddings point towards linen suits, but not sure if that clashes with darker BM dresses? I want the guys to be comfy but also chic looking!  Also, I think i've figured out what I want to do for the favors. My mom is very crafty, and she is going to make soap shaped like shells for the favors, i'm going to get little embroidered bags to put them in. Also, I am going to donate $ to an animal charity I work with and put a little tag on each bag. I really want that to happen!

Emily,  that is insane about the manicures and the hair! Guys aren't supposed to care about that lol I think we will have a Best Man-zilla too. My FI's brother who is going to be the BM is married and his wife is a B*tchzilla, who pretty much hates his family for no reason. When FI texted him and told him to "save the date" for our wedding, he texted back saying "sorry, I can't, it's Christina's b-day". Well we think that was her who sent that text because after his whole family reemed him out, he accepted the position. So I really don't think he's going to be reliable because he is totally whipped by his wife and like I said, she hates everyone and is just miserable. I wish he would make his best friend his BM, but he feels obligated because his bro made him BM at his wedding.

Sorry for the long post! It does help me writing it all out though because it forces me to see what I have done and what I have yet to do!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Jen, what about light grey suits? That would look sharp with navy dresses and pink accents. Like this, only with pink flowers:
  • edited July 2012
    Emily,  Thanks for the input! That does look really nice. I was looking for pics like that last night. I was considering  grey suits. Do you think they would look OK with just a button down underneath and no tie? We are leaning towards that because we want somewhat of a casual feel because it's going to be a beach wedding, but still a little formal.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • This week we set up the hotel block and are now just waiting for the sales manager to send us the contract to sign and return.  I finally asked my friend to be MOH last week and am asking 2 more friends to be BMs tonight.  I just have to ask FI's niece, who is 9, later this summer, I already asked her mom, so that should be all set.
    Up next is figuring out a florist and transportation for us and the bridal party.
  • ems27ems27 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    My venue finally charged my first monthly payment, yay!  Ten more to go, and probably essentially an extra one and a half further down the road for linens/chairs/stationed apps/etc.

My dad's other DJ friend officially has me in the calendar and isn't requiring a deposit for the wedding, which is awesome.  Just have to get Dad to confirm price/see if there's a contract to sign, I'll probably try to pay him a good chunk in a couple months.

Today I need to try calling my photographer again to get the contract and negotiate a deposit for her; I know she's not booking anything else on my date since she is set on coming to London with me :-)

Got a bunch of save-the-dates addressed and dropped in the mail today, just a few more for the US people to get out.  Been pestering FI for his contact info so that I can just drop them in the mail in a week when I go to visit!!

NWR, I found some super cute Olympic apparel at Gap that I ordered, should be here in time to bring with me and wear to table tennis!
    June 2013 August Sig Challenge
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • ems27ems27 member
    edited July 2012
    Also- Jen, I think the gray with navy is an excellent combo, and if the bridesmaid dresses are cocktail length and not overly fancy, I think having the guys sans tie would be totally fine.  Here's some more inspiration:
    http://ugc.theknot.com/1237775-large.jpg
    http://media.theknot.com/ImageStage/Objects/0003/0060026/large_image.jpg

Cnf- I'm glad you were able to find a salon that has BOTH dresses! I think that will be so helpful for you :-)

Emily- my brother is probably going to go a very similar route, only trying to get all the guys to be able to wear bow ties, etc. They are so funny.
    June 2013 August Sig Challenge
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • My only accomplishment is that my mom and I have started working on flowers. She bought a bunch of different ones and watched lots of youtube videos one night. She has a beautiful bouquet for the bridesmaids that I'm really excited about. She's going to add a little more to it to fill it out, but I'm really happy with the results. I've also decided to do a flower/brooch bouquet and need to start getting brooches ASAP so I'll be looking into that today.
    June 2013 May Challenge: The Dress
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Not too much wedding stuff done this week. I'm e-mailing with some officiants, trying to find someone we like who doens't charge too much. FI and I need to start talking about what we want for tranportation, I know he originally wanted a Rolls Royce for our car, but I'm not sure it's in our budget. :( So lots of things to do! Oh, I guess the only check we have is that FI finally gave me his part of the guest list, so I'm putting it together and trying to see where we are at right now.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2013-weddings_wedding-wednesday-17?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:f30b0bfc-508d-415c-bf59-ab83e327da37Discussion:3685f26a-d42c-476e-9ad3-5b5f9927b4c3Post:a2c04184-ae34-458d-9e0a-e6db43b75a26">Wedding Wednesday</a>:
    [QUOTE]Good morning! What'd we accomplish this week and what do you ladies have planned for the up coming week? 
    Posted by cnf2013[/QUOTE]

<div>I just got engaged last Tuesday so this was my first full week!</div><div>I've already got a date, a guest list, a location (my backyard), researched rentals, planned the food I'm cooking, the cake my fiance is making, the centerpieces and favors. Phew! I'm such a planner! Got to love the tools on here, though, huge help!</div>
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I am on a slow point right now with wedding planning. Yesterday I ordered some free samples from Magnetstreet.com for my STD magnets. We aren't sending those out until November but I wanted to get a head start to see if I like them. 
    I've mainly been doing a lot of internet searches for design ideas and centerpieces, which I am almost 90% sure I found the ones I want to make. 
    My FI is in the military and won't be home until Christmas so we won't be looking at suits or doing any cake tasting until he can come along. But I cannot wait until I can kick planning up a gear again!!
    June 2013 Sig - Shoes
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • No checks for me this week! :(
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm in wedding planning stand still right now. I feel like we got so much done early, and now I'm at a middle, slow point. Just been focusing on picking colors, looking at flowers and getting ideas. Been busy on pinterest though! Lol. I would love to do cake tasting and plan that, but the bakery said that I shouldn't start anything until like 2 months before. The cake comes with the venue, already included in the price minus upgrades so I didn't have to research bakerys or anything like that. I do have to pay for tastings though. I can order mini cakes in different flavors and fillings for five dollars each or a cupcake for 2 dollars. I'm sooooo excited for cake tasting lol. But yeah, nothing wedding related for now.
    Honeymoon Destination - Hawaii image
  • AllieS421AllieS421 member
    edited July 2012
    My wedding dress came in yesterday so I got to pick that up... Luckily it fits but I would still be okay to lose a little weight since I've been upping my time at the gym. We booked our hotel block at the end of last week and with everyone coming from out of town, that was a huge check. Today we booked our tasting at our reception venue for the end of August. Our parents are going to join us which is exciting since they've never seen the reception venue. It's been a busy week!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited July 2012
    I contacted the town about paying in advance for my guests to park (our church is historic and has limited parking in a dowtown area so parking is a pain).

I received my STD and will probably start assembling them soon.  But waiting to mail them out until after FI uncles wedding (we actually are waiting to even tell his side we set a date until after his wedding because I do not want to take anything away from them.  They are gay and to me it is a huge deal that they are finally able to marry). 

I feel like I am so far behind!  I only have one month before my daughter returns to college and we are trying to do things when she is here and saving some things for when she is home on Christmas break.

These are my STD.  The small square is a remopvable calendar sticker that I am adding on (I totally stole this idea from another knottie!)

June 2013 * March Siggy Challenge * Shoes
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I got the quote from my florist, and it's good, yay!  The pictures she sent of what she has in mind after our initial discussion are better than I expected.  So exciting because they are extremely reasonably priced.

I finally set up an appointment to meet with our top pick DJ.  Between those two, I believe we will have all vendors booked, now it will just be time to work overtime and pay! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I have a lot of things set up for the next couple months, but no checks actually made this week really.

We have a meeting with the minister at the church we are getting married at in August to officially approve our marriage. E-pics are set for the second week in September. I am officially ordering and choosing my dress the third week of September. My mom called me yesterday and said she has booked a restaurant for my shower so that date is officially set (April 28th, 2013)  We are going to book a hotel block in August and hopefully book a videographer. I also think I am going to start setting up cake tastings for September, FI is getting antsy about that one.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Two floral appointments.

First one was yesterday with a shop near our apt. It took like 15 minutes and she price quoted me $50 over budget.

Today was one with a lady that works out of her house and in the town where we are getting married. She is willing to work with any budget and doesn't even make you sign a contract, but if you go else where she's keeping your deposit...not that I blame her! She is very knowledgable and gave me homework to help me figure out if I want one solid color for my maids and gerberas ($4 a stem ladies). Thank goodness I didnt' want callas.. they're $10 a stem! HOLY CRAP! I love that she makes her own pew bows and will set them up for you for only $10 a bow! I can use them at the church and at the reception. As you can see, I think I found my florist. I just need to figure out if gerbs are what I want , or how many stems I want or if I want lime green in the bouquets. My hampster is going crazy in my brain right now! She did give me a website to look at www.sierraflowerfinder.com.
  • No checks for me this week. :( I did get in a sample of am invitation that would also be used for the save the date but I hated the peacock feather color and the print quality wasn't that great so I might be designing and making my own. I am going dress shopping this weekend! Yay! Hopefully I'll find something this time. It really sucks cause my mom is in RI from colorado and we're supposed to be doing wedding stuff but with my grandfather still in the hospital (now he's on dialysys) it's hard to focus on anything else.
    imageimageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • I know its not Wednesday anymore but I was unbelievably busy at work yesterday :(

We sent in our deposit for our speaker system that we're renting to dj ourselves this week and we also nailed down our officiant. A friend of mine from work offered to officiate (as she was actually going to start a business for this before she got her job) and she said to just let her know when/where she needs to be and to feed her after.. so grateful that she isn't charging us out the wazoo! Now my mom has one less thing to pay for (she offered to cover this expense) 
    June 2013 - July Sig Challenge - Venue

Photobucket Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards