June 2013 Weddings
Options

Live Music

We've always known that we wanted live music for our wedding. And seeing as we live in a town that is saturated with musicians and bands of all genres, I've been pretty confident that we will find exactly what we want. 

So far, I have 3 bids from 3 different jazz combos (trio/quartet, septet) And we're trying to figure out which we like best. Different instrument combos are available and different vocalists... We are really into jazz, blues and rock and roll so we are really excited to have a this music played live for us at our wedding. 

Right now, we're considering hiring one trio to play the ceremony (acoustic; guitar, bass & keys) and cocktail hour (electric; guitar/male vocals, bass, drums) and then have a different group play the reception (full jazz quartet w/ female vocalist). 

To me this sounds ideal! To have live music all night is a dream come true for us. However, sometimes I worry that people may think it's not enough and be disappointed that there isn't a DJ. My FI says that I'm second guessing myself for no reason. With our crowd, I would assume that live music will be appreciated but I just wanted to see what you ladies thought about it....

Would you be disappointed if there wasn't a DJ? 

Honestly, and I don't mean put anyone off by saying this (so please do not take this personally) but... I don't like DJ's. Which is why I don't want to hire one. I love live music. I feel it's more of a treat. We have found some amazing musicians who are professional and affordable so I'm pretty much set on having live music only. 

Does this sound like a wedding you'd enjoy? 

Thanks for the input ladies :)

Anniversary

Re: Live Music

• Options
    I think that sounds wonderful as long as there is some music your band does thats you can dance to... I think it would be probably better than a DJ as far as making your weddnig memorable!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"So it's not gonna be easy. It's going to be really hard; we're gonna have to work at this everyday, but I want to do that because I want you. I want all of you, forever, everyday. You and me... everyday."~The Notebook~
  • Options
    I've never been to a wedding with a band, but they always look so fun! I think it sounds like a great time and agree to just make sure they play some danceable music.
                                                                                  Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I have only been to one wedding with a live band, but I can honestly say that I did not leave the dance floor the entire night. It was a blast and I would be pumped to go to another wedding with live music.
  • Options
    edited November 2012

About everyone I know has paid to see some sort of live music. I don't know anyone who has paid to see a DJ "perform". haha.

Seriously though, I don't think you should worry about how other people will perceive your choice here. It's your wedding. If live music is the way you want to go, then do it! I personally think it would be a blast...and since I haven't been to a wedding with live musicians, it would be pretty memorable too!

• Options

Ditto PPs, I think your plan sounds great. I also like it that you are having two different bands perform, I think it's really cool. I would most definitely dance at your wedding!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks ladies! I'm really excited. We'll be booking the bands after Thanksgiving and I just can't wait! 

As for dancing, it will definitely be great music to dance to! The quartet for the reception plays Jazz and American Songbook standards, Swing, Soul and Motown. So, anyone who wants to dance will be able to. 

The trio playing the cocktail hour plays traditional and contemporary Jazz, Blues, and Rock n Roll. So, anyone who wants to rock out with me can do that too! 

Can't wait till I get them booked! :)

Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards