June 2013 Weddings

Help! Bridal party woes...

Ladies I really need some outside perspective here. I come from a large, blended family. My mom had a daughter and son, my dad had two daughters and together they had me and my little brother. All of my older siblings are 1521 years older than me. Although I talk to all my sisters there is only one that I'm very close with. My FI has 2 sisters that I see every week at least once or m
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Help! Bridal party woes...

• my phone accidentally posted early Anyway, my FI sisters I feel are closer to me than my own sisters. I would really like to have his sisters as my bridesmaids and my friend as the MOH. is it wrong and hurtful to include his sisters and not mine in the bridal party? I don't want to hurt my sister's feelings but we really want a small bridal party and I feel I'd like to have hose closest to me stand next to me. Any suggestions?? Thoughts?? Any advice is welcome.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Choosing between friends is one thing... but choosing between sisters is another. Even if they're not technically your sisters yet.  This is a situation that could easily turn ugly very quickly and cause a lot of hurt.  I think you should either invite all of your "sisters" or none at all...
    June 2013~Venue
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • If I was over 1521 years old, I don't think I'd be able to stand up for your wedding. Wheel me in!

On a more serious note, it's really up to you to judge because we don't know any of your sisters. I don't have any sisters so FI's sis is my MOH, but I chose two of my closest friends from school as my other BM's instead of my cousins so we'll see how that goes once they realize I have my girls set already. Good luck!
    June 2013 May Challenge: The Dress
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Wow, that's a tough one!  Take some time and really think about this one, luckily, we all have time for this (yay for planning ahead!)  Talk to your mom, talk to your FI.  People get weird about weddings, so sometimes it can be hard to tell how your family will react.  My only sister and I are not particularly close, but she's the only sister I have, and I wanted to include her as a BM.  She said no.  I wasn't completely surprised, but I'm still disappointed.  I hope you have better results!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I want to talk to my sisters about it, but I honestly don't know how to bring it up. I mean, what do I say? "Would u like to be a bridesmaid if I choose to include you?" I just can't think of a good way to say it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2013-weddings_help-bridal-party-woes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:f30b0bfc-508d-415c-bf59-ab83e327da37Discussion:505f793f-c0eb-4414-8fdc-b1235f81b18aPost:6ed82ca4-a95a-449c-aa8e-a1d38dbdeef4">Re:Help! Bridal party woes...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I want to talk to my sisters about it, but I honestly don't know how to bring it up. I mean, what do I say? "Would u like to be a bridesmaid if I choose to include you?" I just can't think of a good way to say it.
    Posted by pedulaney[/QUOTE]

Like one PP suggested I would talk to your FI and mom about it first, just to see what they think or if they have any insight. Talking to my mom pretty much cleared up any doubts I had about my own situation since she also knows my sisters and our family dynamic. I wouldn't approach your sisters and say "well I was thinking about asking you to be a BM, but I'm not sure - what do you think?" That would make any normal person feel weird. IMO the only time you bring it up to your sisters should be if you're asking "I would love for you to be a bridesmaid for my and FI's wedding - what do you think?"
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My mom thinks that I shouldn't ask any sisters at all. My FI doesn't really have a strong opinion he thinks the oldest sister wouldn't care being out of it though. I don't know. I am ok with just having my friend as the MOH and no other bridesmaids but I want to do something in the wedding to honor both his sisters and mine. His sisters are like best friends to me, and I really want to show the unity of our families. Any ideas on how I could include them in something just as important?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards