June 2013 Weddings
Options

Anybody start marriage counseling yet???

has anyone started marriage ccounseling yet? When are u if you haven't or are u at all
Wedding Countdown Ticker Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Anybody start marriage counseling yet???

• Options
    We have our books and have started our lessons, but haven't set up out meetings with our Pastor. Are you doing counseling?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We are doing it through our church, but have to wait to hear back about alternative options because FI will be away on business during the group session they offered.
    Honeymoon Destination - Hawaii image
  • Options
    We're not having a religious ceremony, so no counseling here. My parents are Catholic though, and they've done engagement counseling for couples through their church for years. They hosted sessions at our house when I was younger, so I've absorbed a lot of the things they address. I've tried to make it a point to start discussions with my fiance about the topics they hit because I think it's a good framework for making sure you're on the same page about the big things.
  • Options
    We had session through the church about a month ago.  We found it very beneficial and not as religious as we had expected.
  • Options
    We're not having counseling per se but we are meeting with my pastor.  Typically it's about 2 meetings.  So far we've talked a little about the wedding and we've taken a personality/relationship test which he'll evaluate and talk to us about in our second session.  LOL, that meeting should be interesting.
    June 2013 Sig Challenge - Shoes

Planning Bio

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We're not having counseling.
    Its not the destination so much as the journey, they say. - Captain Jack Sparrow Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

FI and I have not talked about it yet. We are not having a religious ceremony, but we might still do counseling because we've heard a lot of people found it very useful.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Nope.

And we won't likely do any. Our minister said that she wouldn't recommend it for us since we've been together for so long and already have gone through alot of the things that would discussed so she said it would be a time-waster for us. (which personally is good to hear as we were not really wanting to go haha)
    June '13 - Cake!
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker

Books read in 2013 - 0/25
  • Options
    Ours starts in January, we will be taking a communication assessment and then the pastor will be counseling us based on the results! I'm a little nervous, but it's only 4 sessions, so it can't be too bad.
  • Options
    Not doing it.  We've been together for five years, if there's anything left that I don't know, I don't want to know!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2013-weddings_anybody-start-marriage-counseling-yet?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:f30b0bfc-508d-415c-bf59-ab83e327da37Discussion:59de0b9d-f70f-4054-88b1-2ea7d7f1e84ePost:1d4cd7a5-616c-4dd2-bedc-faa1b6ff9898">Re:Anybody start marriage counseling yet???</a>:
    [QUOTE]We have our books and have started our lessons, but haven't set up out meetings with our Pastor. Are you doing counseling?
    Posted by mrsfrontrunner[/QUOTE]

May I ask which books you have gone with?
  • Options
    We are about half way through ours. I have learned a lot with my first marriage and going through the divorce, but I don't know it all. It's nice learning new things and what I can bring to this marriage from my first.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards