June 2013 Weddings
Options

How many hours did you book your photographer for?

I'm about to book my photographer, but I'm not sure how long to book her for!  The package I am looking at comes with 6 hours.  I see this on a lot of photographer websites so I think this is pretty common.  The problem is, I'm not sure if that would be enough time.  She would have to leave an hour early from the reception, and she might not be able to catch all of the moments of me getting ready.  How long do you have your photographer booked for?  I'd love 8 hours, but it costs $200 for every extra hour so I'm trying to figure out if I need that much time!  Thanks!

Re: How many hours did you book your photographer for?

• Options

How long is your reception going for? My first wedding ended at 11pm and the photogs were gone by 9:30. This was PLENTY of time to get all the "special" pictues in, including lots of dancing and partying.

I booked my photographer for 6 hours. I don't need all of the getting ready shots like I had for my first wedding. We're not having a bridal party, so that will cut back on some time too.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Our photographer is with us the whole day -- from the time we start getting ready until the last dance.  However, this is pretty uncommon, as it is included in the package.  Most photographers offer 6 or 8 hours around here.
  • Options
    We have ours for 10 hours.  Our wedding is kinda short so 10 works perfectly and we got a day after session.  :) Getting ready shots are some of my favorites so I personally won't pass up my chance to do that. 
  • Options

The photog I am planning on booking will be with us basically for unlimited time, however long we want them there for-probably 9-10 hours. I definitely want getting ready shots- I want to be able to see pics of FI getting ready and what the boys will be doing. My reception is going to go until midnight and I am sure I will let the photogs go by 10 or 1030, it will be all just dancing at that point. To be honest, the last wedding I was at, there really werent that many people left the last hour.

Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Our photographer's package came with an unlimited amount of time. I think it will come out to be about 8 or 9 hours.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I booked for 6 hours, but my photog says should I change my mind and want to upgrade to 8 hours, she will still give me the 8 rate she quoted when booking.  BUT I think I might only need the 6 hours.  Ceremony at 2pm, she will come at 1pm for getting ready photos.  The ceremony is 1.5 miles away so it takes no time to get there.  The reception will be up and running by 4pm just 10 mins down the road so I will still have 3 hours after that to have pictures.  That will last through dinner, dancing, cake cutting, everything.  I will really only miss out on the last hour and I am not concerned about having a last dance picture (since it will probably look just like the first dance lol) nor worried about the "getaway" since I might be extending our party a little longer anyways.

I am only considering 8 hours for the purpose of alleviating any stress in sticking to the schedule.  
    June 2013 - Shoe Inspiration
    imageimage
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    Thanks guys!  My wedding is at 3:30, cocktail hour from 4-5, and reception from 5-9 (i have to be completely out of my venue by 10, but there will be an after party!).  I definitely want all of the getting ready pictures, so I might add an extra hour onto the package for that.  That's more important to me than getting the last hour of the reception.
  • Options
    We haven't chosen a photographer yet but we are only looking at one that offer unlimited hours.  I def want all the getting ready shots, and since our ceremony and reception are in the same location with no time in between we are planning on doing first look photos which means FI and I will be meeting up at least 2hrs before the ceremony for photos so we'll be getting ready earlier than someone who is not doing a first look.  All the photographers we have corresponded with are totally into being with us from start to finish, they said there is so much you can miss if you leave the reception early (ex. as the night goes on and people loosen up more you may get some amazing dance shots, etc).  Photos are the most important part of the day to us though.  and to be honest, the prices in our area are about the same, or even less to get unlimited hours vs. 8hrs which is the minimum amount of time we were considering.
  • Options
    Maybe I'm silly but I'm not so concerned with having photos of every second. I am not planning on having an extensive all-coverage photographer and I think that's alright too.  You shouldn't feel pressured to catch every minute if photography's not your passion.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards