June 2013 Weddings
Options

Advice on possible career move?

So I am currently going to school to become an accountant, which I no longer have any desire whatsoever to become. I am in my second trimester of school, and the second trimester is almost over. So basically I have one trimester left and then I will be done.

I want to become a cosmetologist. I kind of always have wanted to do this. I love doing nails and if I can say so myself, I'm pretty good at it. I did my sister's nails and makeup for her wedding and I've done several younger friends/cousins nails for their prom (just painted with designs). I've also shaped a friends eyebrows or "tamed the caterpillars" as she called it. I enjoy doing all these things (maybe not the eyebrows), but especially the nails.

The only thing I am worried about, is the pay. I know I would have to build up my clientele  and I'm assuming that it would be harder (financially) the first year or so of me doing this.  I just completely don't want to be the person who hates their job. I want to like what I do and accounting is so not it. I'm not a fan of being stuck in an  office all day. That's just not me.

FI has a great job with amazing benefits, so I'm not entirely worried about having insurance, because his is awesome. But I just wonder if my decrease in pay will greatly affect us. I don't want us to struggle and that is what I'm so afraid of.

Any advice?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Advice on possible career move?

• Options
    sfischer87sfischer87 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited March 2012
    My advice would be to finish school.  You're so close to being done and then you would have that degree under your belt! Even if you change your mind after you've finished and DO decide to go to cosmotology school, you will always have a back up if need be.  There's no reason to quit now when you've worked so hard!  You're right about the pay... it would probably be significantly less than what you would make as an accountant.  That's why you need to have a back up plan, just incase!  I am in the same boat as you.  FI makes great money and has awesome benefits, so I am blessed to be able to do what I love part time (I'm a preschool teacher and also going to school part time to finish that degree).  How does FI feel about all of this?
    June 2013~Venue
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    If you're that close to finishing your accounting degree or certificate, finish it up. For starters, you can always take cosmetology courses down the road. If this is the path you decide to take, having a background in accounting would help you have the know-how to eventually run your own salon one day.

Secondly, just because your fiance has a good job with good benefits now, it doesn't mean he will in a year, five years, fifteen years, etc. There are hundreds of thousands of tales out there right now from people who had a good job with good benefits prior to the recession. Don't rely on his current position as a barometer for how things will be in a year or two- I know, because at the beginning of last summer, my fiance was gainfully employed, until he came home to a letter from his employer stating that he had been laid off (fortunately, he was re-hired within a few weeks).

Have you looked into accounting jobs that aren't the typical office position? I know a lot of companies hire accountants on a temporary basis to do audits and such; something like that would keep you from being tied to one specific place.
  • Options
    FI is completely supportive of all this, but it still makes me worry. I am definitely finishing accounting, but after that is what I am concerned about. I completely don't want to be an accountant.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2013-weddings_advice-on-possible-career-move?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:f30b0bfc-508d-415c-bf59-ab83e327da37Discussion:b6ce3679-4998-4c4d-b930-d6a7de0919dfPost:0a088011-a773-4361-8e08-0801a4b1bf53">Advice on possible career move?</a>:
    [QUOTE]So I am currently going to school to become an accountant, which I no longer have any desire whatsoever to become. I am in my second trimester of school, and the second trimester is almost over. So basically I have one trimester left and then I will be done. I want to become a cosmetologist. I kind of always have wanted to do this. I love doing nails and if I can say so myself, I'm pretty good at it. I did my sister's nails and makeup for her wedding and I've done several younger friends/cousins nails for their prom (just painted with designs). I've also shaped a friends eyebrows or "tamed the caterpillars" as she called it. I enjoy doing all these things (maybe not the eyebrows), but especially the nails. The only thing I am worried about, is the pay. I know I would have to build up my clientele  and I'm assuming that it would be harder (financially) the first year or so of me doing this.  I just completely don't want to be the person who hates their job. I want to like what I do and accounting is so not it. I'm not a fan of being stuck in an  office all day. That's just not me. FI has a great job with amazing benefits, so I'm not entirely worried about having insurance, because his is awesome. <strong>But I just wonder if my decrease in pay will greatly affect us. I don't want us to struggle and that is what I'm so afraid of.</strong> Any advice?
    Posted by SugarFoote[/QUOTE]

<div>This can really only be answered by you and your future husband. I would talk to local cosmetologists in the area, ask them why they chose that career and how they got started. By asking subtle questions you'll be able to get a picture of their lives without asking outright what their salary is. </div><div>
    </div><div>If you know for a fact that you would never touch your masters (i'm assuming?) in accounting then I would stop and see how much tuition you can get back. Don't be swayed by the inner voices of 'that's quitting' or 'you're almost done just push through it', it takes a LOT of guts and courage to realize you don't want to be on the path you're on anymore. </div><div>
    </div><div>I think you really have to get a good idea of the cosmetologist career opportunities in your area (assuming you won't be moving) and crunch some numbers to see what financial situation you and your fi will be in if you chose that career path. Good luck!</div>
    Photobucket
  • Options

I'm glad to hear you're going to finish your accounting degree. Accountants make a lot of money, and they are always needed so it's great to have that knowledge and that degree for security even if you never actually use it.

If you know cosmotology is what you love, go for it. A background is business helps no matter what career you take on.

What is it about accounting that you dislike so much? I assume it's something you were unaware of when you started working on your degree. Identifying what that is might help you in your decision of what you want to do.

June 2013 May Challenge: The Dress
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I definitely agree wth finishing up your degree.  As mentioned, having that background can be very helpful for if you ever wish to run a salon one day.

Of course you will take a pay cut, but if you are more happy then that is what matters.  I love my work, and with my future PhD I could get hired by some company making six figures in industry.  BUT I don't want all that, I prefer to have peace of mind and great benefits and job security, so I will take a huge cut just to work with the govt.
    June 2013 - Shoe Inspiration
    imageimage
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2013-weddings_advice-on-possible-career-move?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:f30b0bfc-508d-415c-bf59-ab83e327da37Discussion:b6ce3679-4998-4c4d-b930-d6a7de0919dfPost:fe091e4e-b678-49b8-916e-54e5b641e848">Re: Advice on possible career move?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm glad to hear you're going to finish your accounting degree. Accountants make a lot of money, and they are always needed so it's great to have that knowledge and that degree for security even if you never actually use it. If you know cosmotology is what you love, go for it. A background is business helps no matter what career you take on. <strong>What is it about accounting that you dislike so much?</strong> I assume it's something you were unaware of when you started working on your degree. Identifying what that is might help you in your decision of what you want to do.
    Posted by blferguson1s[/QUOTE]

I have just lost all interest in it completely and no longer have any desire or drive to do this. When I got started  in it, I was all excited and completely loved it and seriously thought that is what I would enjoy doing because that is what I wanted to do. But now, I just don't want too anymore. Its hard to explain. I don't want to be stuck in an office all day where everything is all serious and extremely professional. That's just not me. Don't get me wrong, professionalism is great and a definitely needed thing, but I prefer fun. When I imagine my life as an accountant, it seems dull and boring and plain. But as a cosmetologist, its fun, and bright, and social and is completely more appealing to me. I know I probably sound like a child talking about it this way, but that is the only way I can explain it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards