June 2013 Weddings
Options

Wedding Wednesday

Here's to hoping this doesn't get eaten.

I cancelled my consultation with the over priced MUA. She basically said she bases her on site fees based on how much she makes on an average Saturday by working out of her studio all day so as to not lose money. She suggested we go there for our make up. It's only a two hour round trip commute, no biggie *insert eye roll here*. I made a consultation with a different girl at a salon and spa only 20 minutes away. She just charges the cost of the make over and a flat $50 travel fee. It will be under $100 for me to bring her in, a far cry from the $800 I'd end up blowing on the other girl. I sacrifice not getting airbrush make up, but it's a worth while sacrifice for the sake of my bank account. But I do have to change the date. I just realized it conflicts with my triathlon weekend, so I'll be calling her back today. 

I made another dress appointment for next Friday. I'm  not really looking forward to it. I feel like my mother and I wil continue to disagree on things and that I won't have fun. I'm going to be that girl that tries on 300 dresses and just ends up settling. I feel it. That's unsual for me to be like this too, it's totally not like me. 

All my BM gifts I ordered are in. And my next endeavor will be finding a florist.

FI's aunt is flying in from Biloxi for what was supposed to be a surprise birthday visit for FMIL, but the surprise got spoiled. That's okay though. But FMIL and Fi's aunt are coming over to our house tonight and we're taking her to see our venue and have dinner there. So we'll see how that goes. I have to finish scrubbing the house before his southern, judgeypants aunt gets here. She's super nice, but she's got that southern sass. I already feel embarassed for our pink 1950's bathroom and our yellow and blue 1930's kitchen that haven't been remodeled yet. Ohhh wellll.  
                                                                              Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: Wedding Wednesday

• Options
    ems27ems27 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    Such a good call with the MUA!   When is your tri?? My first one is in a week and a half :-)
    I'm still crossing my fingers for your dress appointment- hopefully she'll go into it with a more open mind, it sounded a bit like she wanted to try to talk BOTH of you out of the more expensive gown at the end of the last appointment.

Working on getting my first monthly payment to my venue- they're supposed to be auto deducting, but haven't been, and it is so hard to make the calls at my current job!

I need to get out of the room for a bit to call my photographer to get the contract sent out and negotiate the deposit, and am waiting to hear back from my dad's DJ friend to set up a meeting. (I want to book him ASAP, since Dad's best friend was going to do my wedding as a gift- ended up being booked 15 months in advance for a 50th wedding anniversary, the people threatened to sue him for breach of contract when he offered to find them a suitable replacement 14 months out, whompwhomp)

I also need to email the salon that carries my b-maid dresses and see if they are going on sale soon! As well as working on setting up florist appointments, investigating room blocks, and addressing save the dates.
    June 2013 August Sig Challenge
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    cnf, good luck with your next dress appointment. Hopefully you can find something you love!

I haven't made much progess. I finalized my half of the guest list and tried to work out a seating plan based on that. It was so hard! I am not looking forward to doing it for real. I'm still waiting on FI to finish his guest list and decide how he wants his name to be on the save the date so I can start making them.

My friend and I booked back-to-back boudoir photo sessions for the end of August. We're both bigger girls and are therefore a little nervous about doing it. It's kind of comforting to know your friend will be just on the other side of the door. 

Other than that it's just been a lot of talking. Hopefully I can make an appointment with a florist for this weekend to go over everything then I don't know what to do! I feel like it's too early to start planning everything else.
  • Options
    We put the deposit down for the officiant and florist! Last is the bakery for the cake but that can wait a little bit. Hopefully FI will surprise me and put that down for me haha. We set the guest list at 75 since we have to due to our reception venue requirement for a Saturday event. Oh well no biggie.
    I finally decided on the start time for everything on the day of. Our ceremony will start at 2pm and go til 2:30pm. Pics from 2:30-4:30 and reception at 5pm. The reception will go til 9pm. Hopefully people will want to still party and we can go somewhere else! I'm so excited!

NWR: I can take my driving test in August. So hopefully I pass on the first time and can move in with my FI in September. Classes start back next month and I graduate next Spring! I'm going for my pharmacy tech certificate :)
  • Options
    I'm done with all the big stuff so for me there is not much to do for a while. Just looking into some of the small details and some DIY projects.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I went bridesmaid dress shopping this past Saturday with three of my six bridesmaids. I'm torn between a dress from Alfred Angelo and one from David's. I never thought I'd be putting my girls in the same dresses, because they're all very different sizes (from 00 to 14), but I really didn't like a lot of what they tried on. I'm going to have to wait until after my sister's wedding in October to make a decision though, because I would like the other 3 girls to try on the dresses...but, those other 3 girls are my sisters, and sister who is getting married is very touchy about me "stepping all over her wedding stuff" (her words). So, for the sake of keeping the peace, I'm not going to ask my sisters to try on the dresses until after October 20th.

Bridesmaid dress shopping is pretty much all I've accomplished this past week. I really need to get moving on finding a hairdresser, that's my next goal.
  • Options
    My mom and I met with our wedding coordinator yesterday. She gave us a fantastic idea for using our venue, and I'm so excited about it. In between the cave and the tasting room is a big production room for wine that won't be in use in June so we're going to transform it into a reception hall. All the fun of a tent reception without worrying about weather/temperature! She's working up a proposal for us and is still trying to get pricing finalized from some people. I'm interested to hear how it'll go. Oh, and we're going to have valet parking to make it even fancier. I'm so excited that things are starting to come together!

I've also been working on my binder and pinning like crazy as always. Hope everybody is having a great wedding planning week!
    June 2013 May Challenge: The Dress
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2013-weddings_wedding-wednesday-16?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:f30b0bfc-508d-415c-bf59-ab83e327da37Discussion:bc3a5dd3-b749-42a7-8d68-603ec4edf8c9Post:89addfd7-0aca-4fc3-8717-40bc88d3d6cb">Re: Wedding Wednesday</a>:
    [QUOTE]cnf, good luck with your next dress appointment. Hopefully you can find something you love! I haven't made much progess. I finalized my half of the guest list and tried to work out a seating plan based on that. It was so hard! I am not looking forward to doing it for real. I'm still waiting on FI to finish his guest list and decide how he wants his name to be on the save the date so I can start making them. <strong>My friend and I booked back-to-back boudoir photo sessions for the end of August. </strong>We're both bigger girls and are therefore a little nervous about doing it. It's kind of comforting to know your friend will be just on the other side of the door.  Other than that it's just been a lot of talking. Hopefully I can make an appointment with a florist for this weekend to go over everything then I don't know what to do! I feel like it's too early to start planning everything else.
    Posted by bar10521[/QUOTE]

Who are you using for the photo session? I'm thinking of getting those done for my FI as a wedding gift, but I'm too lazy to research. lol

I have done absolutely nothing wedding related, I feel like I need to start working on things just because FI starts his school again in September, and in between that and his job I know it'll be impossible to schedule tastings/meetings/etc.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I went bridesmaid dress shopping this past week. I had to make 3 different trips to the store but all of my bridesmaids were able to try on the dress I liked most and it looks great on all of them! I was originally planning on picking a designer/color/fabric and letting them pick the style, but I want navy dresses and it is so hard to find the exact same shade of navy in different dresses. So I was very happy when this dress fit all of them!

It's this dress, the long version:
    http://allurebridals.com/Store_ProductDetail.aspx?pid=88B0472677240FG0ge9e

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    This weekend went shopping wiht both moms and they both found gorgeous dresses at a mother of the bride event. I also found my veil, necklace and earrings that all look gorgeous together with the dress.

I've been finalizing wiht our dj the details and waiting on the contract today to put that deposit down. Then the only other big vendor left to find is a florist. I need to start envisioning more details and figure out bridesmaid dresses fairly soon but just haven't had time to browse pictures and get ideas
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Good Luck Cnf

No big updates for me this week, just working with family and friends to get all the addresses together for STDs and Invites...BO-RING. ;)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Mrs. K - can you make a "movie date" with your Mom, sit there and watch them with her to ensure she finally sees them?  I know she's super busy, but maybe it'd work out on a weeknight or something?

We took our engagement photos (mentioned this on FB) this weekend and I think they went well.  The weather was a bit overcast, which was perfect because we weren't squinting and we didn't have to worry about staying in the shade to get good photos.  My MOH did my hair with these big beach waves, lent me some Spanx, did my makeup, and helped me pick out the most flattering outfits.  She has been so amazing already and we're still more than 11 months out!   I am sooo antsy to see the pictures, but the photographer said it will probably be 2-3 weeks :(

FI and I worked on our ceremony a bit more and sent what we had through to our officiant, who gave us some good suggestions based on what we have so far.

I think that's basically all we've done this week.  I sent a quick e-mail off to a hotel near our venue to ask how their room blocks work.  
    ~*June 2013 Sig Challenge: Our Cake*~
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I booked appointments in August with two florists. One has been emailing like crazy. I feel like she gets it. The other one talked on the phone for a minute, but she won't find out what I'm looking for until I get there in a few weeks. I'm keeping an open mind though. I'm kind of relieved that I won't be doing this myself.

We got the notification that FI's background check for his visa went through. It's good to know he's not hiding anything. :) I also sent in the deposit for the decor lady.

This is all starting to feel very real. People said it would go faster after the one-year mark, and they weren't kidding!

Cake! - June 2013
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    AllieS421AllieS421 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited July 2012
    We got the hotel rooms blocked as of yesterday and since all of our guests besides FI's parents are from out of town, we saw that as a huge check!

This weekend FI's parents also brought up that they want us to use their timeshare vacation club (no set location but a bunch of potential places) as a honeymoon location since they know we can't afford one. It's really exciting and I think they are pretty serious! They belong to the Disney Vacation Club so they have "points" they have to use every year and they want to give us their points for next year. We don't want to go to Disney but there are a bunch of other resorts all over the country and we are going to let FI's parents pick where they want to send us... right now they are thinking Vero Beach, FL or Hilton Head, SC... either way I am ridiculously excited and sooooooooo overwhelmed by their offer!

Up next- bridesmaid dresses and florist but those can wait a little bit.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Allie, that is incredibly thoughtful of your FI's parents to give you their timeshare and points to use for a honeymoon. Hopefully they send you guys somewhere awesome! My parents are doing the opposite; they're charging everything they're paying for for the wedding to their Princess Cruises credit card to build up enough points for a free or severely reduced cruise for after the wedding is over (for themselves, not us!). So they'll actually get a mostly paid for, if not free, vacation out of us!

Ems, my tri is August 5th! It's my first one and I'm really excited. If I like it I plan on doing one in September too that still has spots open. 
                                                                                  Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    CNF I just had a thought about your dress dilema, could you check with the store about an possible events coming up that the dress might be discounted at or calling around to other stores to see what they are selling the dress for? Someone else further away might have it for cheaper and could use that to get the closer store to price match
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    cnf2013cnf2013 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited July 2012
    I know the store I tried it on at has a Maggie trunk show the first weekend of October, but I have no idea what the discount would be/whether it would be more or less than the 20% off for buying the sample. I'm also concerned that would be cutting it very close time wise with ordering and alterations. That's the only place anywhere around me (read: 3 hour radius) having a Maggie trunk show. Calling other stores is a good idea though. I will definitely look into that and make some phone calls. Thanks for the idea!

I also took the advice from the post yesterday, that has since been eaten, about using TK's dress finder thinger and found a few that I liked more in my price range that the store I'm going to carries. So hopefully I can try those all on too. 

EDIT: I called the only other store in the city that carries it and they have it at the same price. This I figured because Everything I've read (and was confirmed by the first store I tried it on at) is that Maggie Sottero has zero pricing flexibility and won't allow for discounts outside of trunk shows or buying samples. But the store I just spoke with also carries Private Label by G, which was the first dress from the first store that made my mom cry. So we might have to go there if I still feel undecided after returning the original dream dress store so I can try on both without having to drive between stores. 

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    This week my FI took care of all music, and he did it all on his own.  We are very excited to have a very talented band that will play at the reception at a great price.  I keep watching videos of them and get more and more excited. 
    Also, started to look at airbrush makeup in my area.  For june wedding, it seems like its going to be the only way to go.  The prices surprised me, but hey you only get married once.  
    Other than that, not a whole lot, trying to get the big stuff out of the way so i can start my DIY projects.  
    Happy Wednesday!
    June 2013 Sig Challenge - Cake
  • Options

FI and I went and looked at a church yesterday. We have been planning an outdoor ceremony the whole time, but its just been so ridiculously hot here, I just cant see having one now. We absolutely loved the church, our date is on hold pending an approval from the senior minister once he meets us next month. I really hope he approves us, I have no idea what he is going to ask us though.

Next up we are working on a hotel block and BM dress shopping. I still have so much left to book and plan, I am so overwhelmed.

Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    We officially signed the contracts for our Photography, DJ and Photobooth (all the same company) and paid the deposit and our Save the Dates are being designed, waiting for our approval. I'm also trying to gather all the addresses for our guests and think I might start looking into hotel blocks, I have also been looking through invitations trying to find ideas I like 
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    The deposits have been sent out for the florist and photographer and vidiographer. Our engagement photo shoot is planned for next Wends, and my cake topper came in! I am pretty sure that my mom and I are going to meet with her friend who is going to cater for the wedding tomorrow or Friday.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards