June 2013 Weddings
Options

Dream wedding

When planning your wedding is it what you always thought it would be a little girl?

Anything you are spending more money on?

Anything you would really like to have you are giving up? 

Is money part of the reason you cant have EVERYTHING you want?  Or are you getting EVERYTHING?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Dream wedding

• Options
    Definitely not getting everything, haha. I'm not sure what my dream wedding is. I was never the kind of little girl to dream about it. I actually wanted an October wedding, but FI really wanted June, so I compromised. We also didn't go with our first choice venue because it was going to be too expensive. Overall though, I'd say we're going to get like 90-95% of what we want, within reason. 

If money was no object we'd be at our first choice venue (the area we looked in to marry in wouldn't have changed, for personal reasons), I'd be paying extra to have things like make your own pasta and grilled cheese stations and late night pizza, I would have dropped some serious moneys on the best of the best for photography instead of taking the cheap route and getting an up and coming photographer... just upgrades and splurges that we aren't privvy to because of budgeting at this point. 
                                                                                  Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I've never really dreamed of my wedding when I was a little girl, I was more of a tomboy running around and getting dirty. lol

I think the main thing I would do if I could spend as much money as I want on the wedding is flying some of my very close friends from Russia here to Boston, since the tickets and accomodations together are super pricey for some of them. The other thing that I would splurge on is a more luxurious honeymoon, I think it would be fun to do a cruise to Europe for a couple weeks, but those are super expensive, especially if you plan on doing a lot while you are there!

But overall I'm happy with what we've planned so far!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    emilyb213emilyb213 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Answer
    edited June 2012
    Hahaha, when I was little, I was convinced that it would be super classy to have my bridesmaids wearing dresses in each color of the rainbow, and the groomsmen in white suits with vests to match (so one girl & one guy in red, the next one in orange, etc). So, it's a really good thing it's not turning out like how I imagined it 20 years ago.

We are spending a sizeable portion of our budget on the venue & catering. Our venue uses one caterer, and while both are still within our budget, we *could* have found a cheaper venue/one without an exclusive caterer to cut costs. However, when we toured our venue, we fell in love with it, and decided to book it even though it was at the high end of our budget.

There are some extras we'd like to have but we're eliminating because they're not "must-haves". My fiance really wanted a photobooth, and I'd like to have all the little details (like colored napkin linens, bigger/fancier centerpieces, etc.), but in an effort to not bankrupt our parents or ourselves, we've cut those things out. I don't feel like we're going to be unhappy with what we'll end up with though- like cnf said, we're still getting most of what we wanted.
  • Options
    I wouldn't say that we are having a "dream wedding" but I was not one of those little girls who planned out the wedding I would have, I planned out the man I would marry, and that part definitely came true.

We have a small budget since we both agreed we would rather save money for our actual marriage than spend a large sum on the wedding, so we are giving up a lot of things, like a fancy reception, foods, etc. But I think what we have planned now is more "us" than anything else would be. I've come to the realization that it doesn't matter what anyone thinks about the actual wedding as long as we are married :)
    June 2013 - July Sig Challenge - Venue

Photobucket Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    If I had the wedding I wanted as a little girl I'd be getting married in Disney. But since that is ridiculously over our budget we're settling on my other little girl wedding dream of getting married outside. I have always wanted to get married in the spring outdoors so that part is right on the money. 

We're not getting everything we want mainly due to our budget. Most of our budget is food and if we had a bigger budget we'd have stations and late night snacks rather than the plated meal we're doing. I'd also like to have more passed appetizers than what we're doing. We're also not planning on paying for any alcohol other than wine at dinner or a toast because it's just too much money so I'd really like to include an open bar for the first hour at least. We're also thinking about either not taking a honeymoon or just doing something local-ish to save money for a house. But if I had the money we'd be doing a week in Ireland and a week in France.

imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I never really dreamed about my wedding but so far it's turning out how I want it to be. We're spending more on our reception hall because I loved it so much, but we could have found one cheaper. My dream ceremony site is completely within our budget which makes that even better. One of the things I am giving up to save money is hiring a florist. My mother and her friends are very good with flower arrangements so hopefully they turn out as beautiful as the picture I have of it. And also our photographer. She is up and coming and very good but due to budget I couldn't book the person I loved. I am very happy with everything so far though. 
    June 2013 Sig - Shoes
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

As some of you prob read this is my 2nd wedding so I def know what I want to spend a lil more on and things I dont really care about.  This time around we are paying for pretty much everything on our own so it is going to be smaller but at the end of the day we will still have a good time and be married! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    When planning your wedding is it what you always thought it would be a little girl?  No. My "highschool sweatheart" and I were together for 6 years so I basically told him everything about my dream wedding. He got married two or three years ago and pretty much had my dream wedding  - my venue, my church, same color BMs dresses I always wanted (not to mention he also got the dog I always wanted). Could be a coincidence but I am obviously not having the wedding I always thought I would have because of him. I do have to say though - the wedding I am planning is a thousand times better than the one I dreamt of having when I was 17! Plus I have my FI and not my F'd up highschool sweatheart!

Anything you are spending more money on? Our reception venue is more expensive than I had wanted to spend on our entire wedding and it doesn't include a lot of things. For the venue, basic linens, open bar, and food it's over 22k.
    Anything you would really like to have you are giving up?  I also wanted a photobooth because I thought they were fun but there is no way I am asking my parents for that and FI will never let me spend our own money on it.
    Is money part of the reason you cant have EVERYTHING you want?  My parents haven't said no to me so far... thankfully they are paying otherwise I'd be heading to the court house! There are some things that if I didn't have to ask my parents about paying for it I would probably upgrade but I think I can deal with white tablecloths and skip the upgrade!
    Or are you getting EVERYTHING?  I feel as though I am getting everything I want and more!
    June 2013 January Sig - Honeymoon Destination
    Negril, Jamaica!!
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    When planning your wedding is it what you always thought it would be a little girl?

Totally not going to lie to you but I was one of those girls that always dreamed about her wedding.  My wedding is NOTHING like I dreamed it.  When I was little I wanted the super classy night wedding with silvers and dark purple.  My wedding is during the day and the colors are yellow and grey.  It is casual and the reception is outside.  

Anything you are spending more money on?

I always knew the photographer was going to be my biggest budget buster but that is one thing that is really important to me.  My venue ended up being a lot more than I thought but only because there are only two good outdoor locations and everyone fell in love with this one (even the parents who are paying for it)

Anything you would really like to have you are giving up?  

Not really only because if there is something I wanted I would try and find a cheaper option.  The only thing that I really gave up was an album in my photography package but I'm a professional wedding photographer so I decided to just design my own. 

Is money part of the reason you cant have EVERYTHING you want?  Or are you getting EVERYTHING?

I sound so spoiled right now but so far I have gotten everything I want.  Then again I'm not asking for anything ridiculous.  I keep my budget in mind when I want something.  Being a more casual wedding and a smallish guest list has helped get me what I would like to have :)  

I know this is going to sound cheesy but everything could fall through and the only thing that is truly important that I want is to have a happy wedding day with friends and family there to celebrate. 
  • Options
    When planning your wedding is it what you always thought it would be a little girl? I have to say I never thought about it when I was little, I started thinking about it as a teenager I guess. So far the planning is close to but not exactly what I always wanted. I always wanted to get married on the beach but I'm settling for a large pond on a golf course (it's still water lol). Anything you are spending more money on? I never really knew how much things actually cost so I don't have anything to compare it to. Anything you would really like to have you are giving up?  Well I'm giving up my ocean view but that's really only because the venues in our budget were not up to my carpet and chandelier expectations. But I am giving up having LOTS of crystal chandeliers and sheer white drapery everywhere. Not sure why I always pictured that but being an interior designer I will come up with some way to get the feeling I want some how. Is money part of the reason you cant have EVERYTHING you want?  Or are you getting EVERYTHING? Money is definitely the reason. My FI told me if I wanted to wait until 2014 I could have everything I want but I personally think its silly for us to spend $50k on one day when we could use the money for other things.
    imageimageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I always wanted a super small wedding (30 people max maybe?) It's not going to happen.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Daisypath Wedding tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards