June 2013 Weddings

Needed:Jewelry ideas for guys

For our vow renewal, we want to have our original rings refashioned into a new set. I had a chat with a jeweler Friday about what we could do and my problem is that there are too many diamonds for what I want done. This set has 10 baguette-cut diamonds and a large marquee-cut diamond. It has always been way to large and showy for my taste and my small hands (I wear between a 4 & 5 ring). So, a thought that came to mind was to turn the marquee sideways, set it INTO the band, and do 3 channel-set baguettes on each side and leave 4 baguettes off completely. With those 4 diamonds, we would make each of our kids a piece of jewelry of their choice as they got old enough to take care of such a thing. I think it is a neat thought that they each would have a diamond from our original wedding set. It even gives me chills to think our great-grands somewhere along the way might be able to say, "This diamond is from my great-grandparent's original wedding ring set."
What makes me reluctant, though, is what kind of jewelry do men wear these days? Since coming up with the idea, I've been trying to pay attention to men and their jewelry, but it doesn't seem men wear much in my area other than wedding rings. The girls are easy, but I'm wondering if our boys will think it as special, you know? Any ideas out there?
Julie
Wedding Countdown Ticker image

Re: Needed:Jewelry ideas for guys

• My FI's brother wears a chain with a cross, both white gold, and the cross has a diamond in it. It still looks very manly though, it is a wide cross, straight edges, and just has the one diamond accessory. Maybe you could do something similar to that. Doesn't have to be a cross, could be more like a tag shape, or whatever the guys like. Or maybe you could somhow fashion it into a watch setting? Like similar to Movado?

I dont know if any of that helps at all, but I think what you are doing is a great, really sweet idea.
    Honeymoon Destination - Hawaii image
  • sparkles776sparkles776 member
    Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    edited August 2012
    I agree with rmp, my FI wears a chain a lot, not with a cross on it though. The last time I got my ring cleaned, FI was looking at some manly looking bracelets too, really just a chain type bracelet.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I'd perhaps suggest saving the diamonds you intend to give to (I'm assuming) your son(s?) and maybe instead of making it into jewelry for them give it to them to have custom set into a ring to propose with when they get to that stage. My engagement ring has five stones from FI's grandmothers aunt. The ring was originally FI's grandmothers and the stones were given to his grandfather to custom set into the ring for her to propose with. The sentimental value of it exceeds anything else I could have ever imagined. 
                                                                                  Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Thanks for your input, ladies!

Rmp, I hadn't thought about a watch! That's a good idea to look into.

Sparkles, maybe I should sneak my oldest boy (18 yo) into one of my jewelry shopping trips and see what he wanders over to, like your FI did!

Cnf, I bet that ring is so, so, so special to you! That's neat!! Not to jinx your marriage or anything, but the reason I don't want to make it into a ring for a future daughter-in-law is because I've personally seen some divorces where family heirlooms weren't given back. Once again, not at all saying ANYTHING like that would happen to you and your FI!!!!

Julie
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards