June 2013 Weddings

Dress is TOO SMALL!!

I just picked up my dress that I ordered back in September... And it's too small!!! Ahhhh! I was measured for a size 8, but the girl said I was really close to a 6, so I went with the 6... It's a corset back so she said worst case scenario, it would just be laced wider in the back. Yahhhh... I can't even lace the corset!!! Like, the piece of fabric under the lace doesn't even reach to the other side!! I looked up Maggie Sottero's size chart and measured myself, and sure enough I SHOULD be just 1 inch over a size 6... What the heck is going on?? I'm not even sure I can lose any weight around my ribs, there really isn't any fat there, I think they're just naturally wideset.
{June 2013} Venue

Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: Dress is TOO SMALL!!

• (iPad froze... Continued...) Has anyone else had this issue?? How far can a dress be let out?? I can easily lose a few inches, but I'm wondering if I even can lose weight around my ribs... =/
    {June 2013} Venue

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • the amount it can be taken out depends on the dress.  I know mine can be taken out 3 inches, but I would talk to someone at the shop to make sure the dress measurements are correct and to see what options you have.

So sorry to hear this! Good luck with getting it to fit!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Oh no, I am so sorry to hear that...  I think dresses can be let out an inch or so at least.  I know what you mean, I am quite thin (very pear shaped though) up top and have no fat around my ribcage but I still wear a size 8 in a a-line dress.  My shoulders are a little broader for a girl my size too which probably contributes.  Needless to say I have lost about 10lbs lately and my top hasn't changed but I've gone down 2 pant sizes.  

Sorry that's not what you want to hear but I think you should be okay with you letting out your dress.
    June 2013 - Shoe Inspiration
    imageimage
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Oh no! That's horrible :( Can you take the dress somewhere and make sure the measurements were entered correctly by whoever ordered it? Maybe a mistake happened there and it has nothing to do with you...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Oh no! That's awful--why would the sales assistant do that??  I have no experience with dress shopping yet so all I can say is, so sorry to hear this. :(
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Oh my goodness! That's just awful! I agree with PPs! See if they made a mistake! :(

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I can't believe they would actually recommend for you to go a size smaller. Horrible horrible suggestion, no matter the situation. On the plus side, at least you have PLENTY of time to get it worked out!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Most dresses can be let out an inch or so.  That being said, it is always easier to take a dress in than let it out.  I measured a perfect size 8 at the store, but they wanted me to order a 10 (tried on a size 12).  My Mom's a seamstress and raised some noise about that.  I wound't stress yet.  Talk to someone else (store manager, outside seamstress) and see what can be done.
    My Bio
    Derp Engagement Photo
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I just got fitted for my dress yesterday.  While I'm super small (4'9, 83lbs), the woman said she was ordering a size based on my widest measurement, so I'm getting a size 2 dress to ensure that it's fits my widest measure.  Everything else will get taken in.  If we had gone with the zero, it would have fit everywhere but my hips (which measure 3/4" bigger than what the size chart said for a zero).  So, while it's going to stink to have to have more alterations done everywhere else, it's better than wearing something that doesn't fit part of me correctly.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards